SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Campaign

chor808

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Audax said:

The rat on England thread is open again, gee, I'm certainly hearing new and original criticisms of them. :lol:

Just gone on the BBC football home page.

The only reference to England is this- http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41540057 tucked away in the left hand column two thirds of the way down the home page.

If I didn't have many friends in Vilnius, I wouldn't have known England had a WC Qualifier kicking of in 90 minutes' time. 

Incidentally, Rashford like half the England squad is not a regular starter for his own club.

1 hour ago, frosty said:

Rashford is very good but Mbappe is on another level. 

Holland are going through a dreadful period which doesn't look like changing any time soon (barely any top players coming through, the Robben, Sneijder, RVP era is coming to an end) but at least they've had some good tournaments recently (runners up WC 2010, 3rd in WC 2014) unlike England who probably last played well at a tournament in 2004.

Is he hell. Based on what? Ive seen enough of both of them and i would say rashford is better

1 hour ago, frosty said:

Rashford is very good but Mbappe is on another level. 

Holland are going through a dreadful period which doesn't look like changing any time soon (barely any top players coming through, the Robben, Sneijder, RVP era is coming to an end) but at least they've had some good tournaments recently (runners up WC 2010, 3rd in WC 2014) unlike England who probably last played well at a tournament in 2004.

I guess your not english based on your scathing critisism of all things english football related on this topic. What has the dutch being bad got to do with englands recent poor tournaments. I know we are @#/?. But the dutch are shitter

I can't really see the point in England trying a new system with players who most likely won't be in the first XI. 

I thought the point of seeing Winks or Maguire play was to see if they can fit into the current team and see how they adapt to international football playing alongside the likes of Cahill, Dier, Walker etc. Not play them with other players who won't be involved like Cresswell, Tippier & Keane.

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Is he hell. Based on what? Ive seen enough of both of them and i would say rashford is better

Based on destroying teams in knockout rounds of the CL and his performances like against Bayern the other week.

The other week you said you'd always felt Rashford was at the same level as Mbappe, which I still disagree with but it's a far more reasonable opinion. There's no way on earth he's 'far better'.

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

I guess your not english based on your scathing critisism of all things english football related on this topic. What has the dutch being bad got to do with englands recent poor tournaments. I know we are @#/?. But the dutch are shitter

I am English. I've just had a quick look back through the topic to see this 'scathing criticism' and my only other previous post in it was to Chaddy saying that playing in June wasn't an excuse for England playing so poorly...

Qualifying for a major tournament isn’t an achievement when you’re placed in a very easy group like England have been for the previous 10 years or so.

We very rarely play competitive fixtures against top sides until a major tournament and then we get torn apart. If we were in a qualifying group with a Germany or Spain, then you might find people actually caring about international fixtures outside of the Euros or WC. I certainly haven’t watched a qualifier in years through apathy.

• Backroom
13 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Southgate wouldn't have got a job in the Championship so why is he England manager? The whole thing stinks.

Cheap, eager to please, boring, happy to toe the line. The FA basically just wanted to appoint a person who was very unlikely to cause another scandal for their disaster of an organisation. 

I actually watched Scotland in their two games and found myself wanting them to win. I quite like Strachan and seeing them at a World Cup finals would have been interesting.

As for England I really can't get excited about their chances. Cue the media bigging them up, lots of hype, a metatarsal injury to Kane but ultimately epic failure. 

15 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Southgate wouldn't have got a job in the Championship so why is he England manager? The whole thing stinks.

He's the new Trevor Brooking. Polite, knows the right blazers, and sucks up to those in power by being nice to their wives. His coaching has nothing to do with his job, he is a 'good chap' who will not complain about the corruption.

I am happy Scotland didn't qualify from a  selfish point of view. Less games for Mulgrew to get injured in and it means he won't have one eye on the world cup. He would have completely wrapped himself in cotton wool I would imagine. Last chance to play in a world cup, would he really fancy a 50/50 challenge against some Oxford player on a raining night next April? Hate to be a Scottish fan though, talk about heartbreak. 

Fair assessments on Southgate, his appointment made no footballing sense. 

Big game tonight in Wales. Personally I am expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. 

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fair assessments on Southgate, his appointment made no footballing sense. 

Who else was they? 

We tried expensive 2 foriegn managers that cost us over 40 million pounds in wages. 

We tried 2 experience England managers in Hodgson and Allardyce. 

We tried a Fan favourite in Kevin Keegan. 

Southgate did a fairly good job with England under 21's and did win the Toulan tournement. 

We dont have the quality of the centre back or midfielders we had in 90's and 00's. 

The quality of the football isnt good but that is to be expected.

I'm pleased to see us playing 3 at the back. 

I wouldnt have Henderson in the team either

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who else was they? 

We tried expensive 2 foriegn managers that cost us over 40 million pounds in wages. 

We tried 2 experience England managers in Hodgson and Allardyce. 

We tried a Fan favourite in Kevin Keegan. 

Southgate did a fairly good job with England under 21's and did win the Toulan tournement. 

We dont have the quality of the centre back or midfielders we had in 90's and 00's. 

The quality of the football isnt good but that is to be expected.

I'm pleased to see us playing 3 at the back. 

I wouldnt have Henderson in the team either

Sorry Chaddy, I am a bit lost. What are you asking me in your first sentence? Who else was there, is it? 

Ya, not many people queuing up for the job, but as mentioned above, Southgate would have struggled to get a Championship job. i wouldn't have been happy if we appointed him manager. 

Allardyce was a good appointment, but the corrupt organisation fired him for corrupt behavior, you couldn't make it up. 

No, you don't have the players you used to have, but under the right manager that might not matter.  Being well organised and hard working goes a long way in International football, outside of your top teams like Germany and Spain 

I don't get the anger toward Southgate. He was given the job after Allardyce unfortunately acted the fool. Was he going to say no? He then proceeded to get a mediocre England team through an albeit mediocre group with no defeats. He's done what has been asked of him so far.

Unlike others he has experienced first hand the disappointment of playing for England. His missed pen against Germany scuppered a Euro final place. Strange as it is I think that he can use it as a motivator, and that's his primary job.

England won't win the World Cup as the players aren't good enough. Central midfield is barren. Central defence is creaky, and our flair players are inconsistent.

Archived