BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Campaign

chor808

18 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought that would be it for international breaks for us, but read this morning that Scotland want to arrange a friendly for November, Canada do the same and that's Walsall off.

Qualifiers and play offs, I've no problem with, but why on Earth are Scotland (with no manager) looking to play the most pointlless of friendlies next month?!

I thought Mulgrew might have announced his international retirement after not qualifying for the World Cup. Hopefully a new Scotland manager will want to bring in younger players and dispense with the older ones.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought that would be it for international breaks for us, but read this morning that Scotland want to arrange a friendly for November, Canada do the same and that's Walsall off.

Qualifiers and play offs, I've no problem with, but why on Earth are Scotland (with no manager) looking to play the most pointlless of friendlies next month?!

Can't see Mulgrew wanting to play in that unless he wants to be part of the 2020 Euro qualifiers, a tournament he possibly won't play in due to age/fitness/new manager etc. I doubt Mowbray would want to let him go either. A niggling injury may prevent him going which clears up nicely for the weekend after.

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Can't say I follow international schedules too closely, but will lots of countries going to the WC be decided by then?  So maybe one of them wants to play Scotland?  Would that work?

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Imagine that, Scotland with a top quality proven success of a manager and us with one whose a proven failure.

Hes English so very much doubt it he will get the job tbh. Dont see them going foriegn. It would be massive waste of money just like it was for England. 

Mackay been named as caretaker boss for friendly. No standout candiate for job. I think Lambert would be best man for job. But I think he would prefer a club manager job just like Moyes. McInnes too young for it..

Scotland manager should be Scottish just like England manager should be English. 

On 10/11/2017 at 19:30, Hasta said:

At international level:-

Keeper is poor.

Central defenders are not great.

Midfield and forward, for all their individual shows of flair, can't create.

First World Cup I remember properly was '86 and it's the poorerst spell for English players in my lifetime. It's a good job there's a starman, waiting in the wings.

Butland is going to be a top keeper. Pickford has potential. Our fowards are international class. Wellbeck. 1 in 2 for england nearly. Sturridge is technically superb, unfortunate with injuries. Kane is top class. Rashford has potential to be a star. Alli is s top class player. Our midfield is @#/? though.

47 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Butland is going to be a top keeper. Pickford has potential. Our fowards are international class. Wellbeck. 1 in 2 for england nearly. Sturridge is technically superb, unfortunate with injuries. Kane is top class. Rashford has potential to be a star. Alli is s top class player. Our midfield is @#/? though.

More importantly, our defence and first choice keeper are abysmal. Also we have very little ability within the squad to take on and beat a man.

A team who can defend deep and break with quality will cause us issues.

On 10/15/2017 at 14:35, AllRoverAsia said:

Ali has become a Show Pony and I doubt that he will improve or ever be a top class international player.

Classic case of too much too early and believing the hype.

He will be targetted at the WC and his anger management shortcomings put to the test.

Been thinking that lately. Compare him to Kane who was never really rated as a youngster who has worked very hard to get himself where he is today. Even now you can just tell that he works hard and is a model pro despite all this attention and hype his is getting. Ali on the other hand, seems to believe his own hype and is now just in 'ego' mode. He will be a busted flush in the end in my opinion.

There were a couple of stories out yesterday declaring that Sam Allardyce is interested in taking the USA job.

I still think he should be England manager, however circumstances dictated otherwise.

He'd do a good job anywhere but the USA is ideal for him. They have 1 potentially world class talent surrounded by athletic but limited footballers. He'd have them well drilled, hard to beat, and capable of goals.

The Spurs lads did well against Real last night. I'll use anything to see positives for Russia.

Quite sad when you see Kane, Alli, Winks, Trippier all playing so well for Tottenham, Rose and Dier also in that team when fit.

Then elsewhere you have Sterling, Stones and Walker playing key roles for the top of the league side breaking records, Rashford scoring yet again, Jones playing a key role for United, Cahill off the back of captaining the champions last season, even Pickford earlier keeping Arsenal from hitting double figures behind an inept defence, Lallana and even Barkley to come back. Players like Butland, Wilshire, Vardy with the ability to get into the squad between now and next summer.

Then you realise the clown as manager who cuts short any ambitions with what is otherwise an exciting crop of players.

Most of these players you mention have been around for at least 4 years and rarely done it at international level. So not ALL Southgate fault is it?

If I was Southgate I would play the same formation as Spurs with 3 at the back with Wing backs then either 2 up front or 1 up front with 2 attacking midfielders. 

At least 5 Spurs players would be in my side. Those being Kane, Ali, Rose, Dier and Tripper. Plus Jones, Stones and Cahill as the back 3. Either Pickford or Butland as keeper. Wilshere playing along Dier in midfield with Ali in 10 role with Kane and Rashford up front. 

Welbeck, Sterling, Lallana off the bench. Walker as back right wing back. Bertard as back left wing back. Smalling back up centre back. Henderson, Winks and Vardy other back players. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Most of these players you mention have been around for at least 4 years and rarely done it at international level. So not ALL Southgate fault is it?

If I was Southgate I would play the same formation as Spurs with 3 at the back with Wing backs then either 2 up front or 1 up front with 2 attacking midfielders. 

At least 5 Spurs players would be in my side. Those being Kane, Ali, Rose, Dier and Tripper. Plus Jones, Stones and Cahill as the back 3. Either Pickford or Butland as keeper. Wilshere playing along Dier in midfield with Ali in 10 role with Kane and Rashford up front. 

Welbeck, Sterling, Lallana off the bench. Walker as back right wing back. Bertard as back left wing back. Smalling back up centre back. Henderson, Winks and Vardy other back players. 

Trippier isn't even close to being on Walker's level, worlds apart.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I actually agree with all of that with the exception of Wilshire. The Wilshire people raved about in years gone by absolutely. At the present time i just don't think he is reliable in performance or fitness

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I

Wilshere's is one of the most over-hyped players to be lucky enough to pull on an England shirt. He should be nowhere near the squad

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:34, roversfan99 said:

Quite sad when you see Kane, Alli, Winks, Trippier all playing so well for Tottenham, Rose and Dier also in that team when fit.

Then elsewhere you have Sterling, Stones and Walker playing key roles for the top of the league side breaking records, Rashford scoring yet again, Jones playing a key role for United, Cahill off the back of captaining the champions last season, even Pickford earlier keeping Arsenal from hitting double figures behind an inept defence, Lallana and even Barkley to come back. Players like Butland, Wilshire, Vardy with the ability to get into the squad between now and next summer.

Then you realise the clown as manager who cuts short any ambitions with what is otherwise an exciting crop of players.

England has some talented players, but can they do it when playing for England in a tournament? The papers were having another Kane love-in today. I'll reserve judgment until after Russia.

Is English football on the up? Aside from the crop of players in the senior squad, the u-20's won the world cup, and the u-17's are in the semi final of theirs.

Kyle Walker is a much better player than Trippier. As soon as Spurs get Rose and Davies back, Aurier will be switch to right back and Trippier will be sub.

I'm with Chad on this one. I like trippier more than walker. His delivery into the box from crosses is exceptional and is less error prone. That's not to say walker hasn't been fantastic this season. It's a game of opinions I suppose and a wonderful dilemma to have 

On October 13, 2017 at 01:58, Mattyblue said:

Canada aren't playing in November. It looks like we will be having a January camp (which is typical), but I don't expect Leutwiler to be involved in that. It's not a FIFA window and usually features young/fringe domestic-based players and the odd guy on winter break from Scandinavia. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 16:27, speeeeeeedie said:

Is English football on the up? Aside from the crop of players in the senior squad, the u-20's won the world cup, and the u-17's are in the semi final of theirs.

I'm not one for quoting myself but England u17's beat Brazil 3-1 earlier to reach the u17 World Cup Final. Liverpool youngster Rhian Brewster scored his second hat trick in 2 games.

This along with the u19's winning the Euro's, and the u21'st semi final defeat in their Euros has England youth looking brighter than ever before.

Those playing, especially the 19's and 21's should be looking to play first team football. If they are at a top 6 club, I doubt that they'll get a game, so they should be looking to move somewhere to get it, if England want to benefit. Yet, we all know that club football, the Premier League, and the England team aren't aligned.

Archived