BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Campaign

chor808

Send the Under 17's, they just won the World Cup beating Spain 5-2 (wow) - they were 2-0 down just after halftime.

U17 Euro final

U19 Euro winners

U20 World Cup winners

U21 Euro semis

Toulon winners

and now u17s World Cup Winners.

What a year for our up and coming players.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

And watch all but one or two disappear down the leagues. They'll never get a chance, especially the Chelsea kids and will have their progress stunted by many loans and few appearances for the first team. Most will become squad players for teams at the level of Bolton or Sheffield Wednesday after so much promise.

That my friend is the problem. We have substantial talent at youth levels and most of it will not be realised unfortunately. 

We are talking best in the world or very close to best in the world at most age groups and it will be wasted the way the English game and league is run these days. If they want these kids to flourish like they should, they need to make changes to the game now and limit how many foreigners can play etc

On 13/10/2017 at 10:11, blueboy3333 said:

Can't see Mulgrew wanting to play in that unless he wants to be part of the 2020 Euro qualifiers, a tournament he possibly won't play in due to age/fitness/new manager etc. I doubt Mowbray would want to let him go either. A niggling injury may prevent him going which clears up nicely for the weekend after.

Mulgrew called up, lets hope you're right and a tactical 'calf strain' emerges later in the week.

Otherwise Nyambe at centre half for Walsall? Or Wharton? Or anyone else we can put there instead of Ward? 

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Mulgrew called up, lets hope you're right and a tactical 'calf strain' emerges later in the week.

Otherwise Nyambe at centre half for Walsall? Or Wharton? Or anyone else we can put there instead of Ward? 

It would be strange if he went. I thought he would have announced his retirement. He may think he can play on for another 3 years or he's just very patriotic. I was possibly just talking out of my arse.;)

I'd put Mowbray there before Ward.

• 2 weeks later...

England surely ready for a hammering tonight.

I appreciate that with no Alli, Kane, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, Lallana etc we are a bit short.

But I don't understand why people like Livermore and Cork are being given token caps when they are neither good enough now, nor will they be surely contenders for this world cup or future world cups.

Wilshire hasnt had much game time but at least he has the ability to make the squad in the Summer. 

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Shelvey is one of the best passers of a ball in the top league - presumably he's not involved because he's not a "nice" chap

And yet Livermore plays. He was suspended after testing positive for cocaine whilst at Hull.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:54, roverandout said:

Loftus cheek looks the elegant central midfielder england have been lacking

I didn't watch the game but read rave reviews about him.

One game isn't going to do much but he created a buzz which is good for him.

He is also a good example of Premier League millions stifling chances for England youngsters.

Chelsea could have used him to replace Matic, but they did not. They spent millions on Bakayoko, a player who can't get into the French squad, and is no better than Loftus-Cheek.

Very impressed with our defence last night. If I was the England manager I would be thinking Stones, Gomez and McGuire is a more assured lineup than Jones, Cahill, Smalling..

Most interesting thing is Southgate seems to be serious when he says he will play youth over experience if they want it more. 

14 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Very impressed with our defence last night. If I was the England manager I would be thinking Stones, Gomez and McGuire is a more assured lineup than Jones, Cahill, Smalling..

Most interesting thing is Southgate seems to be serious when he says he will play youth over experience if they want it more. 

Wait until the next tournament. All the old guard will be back. Hart in the nets, Cahill in the middle, Henderson holding. 

If we had anything about us we would play:

Butland

Jones Stones Maguire

Walker Dier Rose

Alli Lallana

Kane Vardy

24 minutes ago, J*B said:

Wait until the next tournament. All the old guard will be back. Hart in the nets, Cahill in the middle, Henderson holding. 

Butland

Jones Stones Maguire

Walker Dier Rose

Alli Lallana

Kane Vardy

Rashford over Vardy. Bring Vardy on when legs are tiring and play that ball over the top/through the channels.

The team itself isn't exactly devoid of any quality but I am less than inspired with the tactical setting up of Southgate. Friday wasn't much of a marker as Germany weren't going at full rate but at least last night you could see that Brazil wanted to score. We held up ok defensively but showed little in attack.

They could have easily scored a couple too. A couple of good saves by Hart and then there was the incorrectly flagged offside decision of Willian when he had left Young in his trail - it had goal written all over it

4 hours ago, J*B said:

Butland

Jones Stones Maguire

Walker Dier Rose

Alli Lallana

Kane Vardy

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Rashford over Vardy. Bring Vardy on when legs are tiring and play that ball over the top/through the channels.

Agreed. Vardy isn't good enough to get a spot in the starting 11. He needs space in behind, which is at a premium in international tournaments.

I've always optimistic toward England but if injuries don't strike the 2018 squad should be the strongest since the debacle of 2010. Competition for keeper. Central defence is still weak but playing 3 may help, as well as Champs League experience for all but Maguire.

There are decent options everywhere else.

Archived