BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England World Cup Campaign

chor808

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The state of that starting line up. 3 actual centre halves on the bench, but nah, let’s play Kyle Walker in a position he’s never played before so he doesn’t have to make a decision on whether to drop Walker or Trippier.

Sounds like the Mowbray-Williams-Bell triumvirate.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

The state of that starting line up. 3 actual centre halves on the bench, but nah, let’s play Kyle Walker in a position he’s never played before so he doesn’t have to make a decision on whether to drop Walker or Trippier.

very good performance and a back 3 that's played well and suited the way Southgate wants to play. 

Walker, Stones and Maguire played well and defending good. Pickford was assured in goal and probably will be number 1 in Russia

Tripper was always a threat on the right. 

Lingard got a goal from a good finish and played well with Oxlade Chamberlain. 

Rashford and Sterling ran the channels and played well as 2 up front

Ali was poor went he came on and might not start in Russia. 

very good night for England. Southgate 's tactics was spot on and deserve loads of credit

• Moderation Lead

Pretty much agree with those observations, Chaddy. Thought Henderson played well also. He never usually impresses me, particularly for England.

Quite a comedown for the Dutch though- they’ve gone from being able to call upon the likes of Robben, Sneijder and Van Persie in recent times and now their squad is incredibly poor in comparison...

17 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Holland are a disgrace

A tad harsh perhaps. They are nowhere near the quality of previous Dutch teams but I'd hardly call them a disgrace.

I read an article a few months back bemoaning the plight of Dutch football. It's key point was that they've not managed to evolve. "The Dutch Way" worked for years but there is no new blood coming through coaching wise. van Gaal and Advocaat still have influence, and their coaching tree of which Koeman belongs is entrenched with their ideas. It also mentioned that their system based play is too rigid, and that Robben's success came from the fact that he grew up so far away from Amsterdam that he was able to develop naturally.

It was a very promising performance. I think we should see how we play against italy before hailing Southgate a tactical genius. Henderson was mom Imo. Never really liked him and thought he was vastly overrated but I saw tonight exactly what he offers .

First time that I have enjoyed an England performance in a long time, especially in the first half and prior to the numerous subs, excluding the unfortunate Gomez.

Henderson was a revelation in receiving, turning and playing forward. John Stones marshalled the defence and Southgate constructed it well with players comfortable on the ball. Rose blew hot and cold and at his age and experience should be able to cross better.

Pickford was generally sound, good hands, but hacked one clearance very badly and needs to cut out trying to dribble past attackers close to goal, or anywhere for that matter.

Our forwards showed well but goal threats in short supply.

Ali tried too hard when he came on and looked inept. He's not and will start for us, I do worry about his temperament in tournament play where he will be targetted.

I hope that Southgate does not plan to start with Henderson and Dire Dier, that will slow us down and lack creativity.

As Hoddle said friendlies are one thing and tournament play completely different, still it was encouraging.

Finally I hope they do some work on how to take a simple throw-in.

Archived