BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Advert In Indian Press

Madon

• Backroom

That's a real kick in the nuts, especially for you Madon. Ideas (especially that won't have occurred to you I'll bet) is hardly my forte but.....

• are there any other similar papers worth approaching, especially if you can point out the sources for the info in the 'advert'. After all, an Indian paper/website (Sportskeeda) have already published a lengthy article that's very critical of Venky's
  • is it worth approaching the journo behind that Sportskeeda article - Debjit Lahiri @DebjitL - to get some in country advice about publications that could be more open to the 'advert'?
  • would someone, maybe that Sportskeeda chap, advise on what in particular isn't acceptable?
  • to bring this whole escapade to wider attention, is it worth contacting someone like the FSF with a view to writing the tale behind this for their website? Maybe the 'advert' could form part of the article, showing it's not full of illegal stuff
  • any British/international websites that would publish the advert so it's seen by some of the audience originally intended?

Similar papers - unsure, I was always aiming for Times of India as as far as I'm aware that is the main group over in India.

I will try to get in touch with Debjit tonight if i get chance and feed back.

I can't attend the meeting at Ewood WMC on Thursday but I think they are going to throw some ideas around as to what to do with this money if the advert isn't a go-er, these will then go to a vote on this forum next week hopefully.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

If anybody wants to see the advert, you can find it at my Twitter @mattmadon

Please share it as far and wide as you can.

I'll have an update after thursdays meeting as to alternative options with the money.

Matt.

Is it worth just keeping the money to a side for now? I think part of the issue with the advert/mural is having to raise the cash - you've got to give the game away to justify the funding. If the money is there - and people agree - is it not worth just going ahead with something when the opportunity arises? TOI where happy with the ad on Day 1, if the money was available straight away it could have been booked and processed before they had their minds changed.

• Backroom

You have a very valid point mate, it's just then the backlash if the consensus then don't agree with what the money is spent on...

On my head be it I suppose!

You have a very valid point mate, it's just then the backlash if the consensus then don't agree with what the money is spent on...

For me, you are pretty much leading it here - and doing a corking job. I donated £25 to the advert, you've got permission to use that £25 for whatever you see fit!

They are hiding behind the easy “legal issues” line. More likely is that Venky’s spend millions of rupees advertising through Times of India and other publications so the commercial arms of these newspapers will not allow this kind of thing to be published as it almost certainly mean Venky’s would stop placing adverts with them. It is all about revenue.

To be honest, as a professional journalist that shouldn't come as news to you Kamy. The underlying business model for newspapers has been the same for 150 years: connecting eyeballs to adverts. So no newspaper would willingly upset a major advertiser for a one-off ad.

Also, as another poster suggested, the Gandhi quote wouldn't have helped. I once had to order the taking down of hundreds of Cadbury's Creme Egg posters that featured his name ("Keep one handy, Gandhi") due to a boycott by the Asian Traders Association!

Consider it money saved; the ad wouldn't have worked anyway. The messaging was off strategy - all it says is that they are poor business people, but the evidence of their poultry businesses negates that completely. And even Warren Buffet loses money sometimes. I would have suggested using quotes from when they took over contrasted with their subsequent actions, which would have raised questions about their character, not that ToI would have run that either for reasons above.

I think the key is that we need a 'fighting fund' to pay for various projects, and there needs to be an agreed or implied T&Cs for what that money can be used for ...as an example, nothing illegal, nothing bar facts, etc....

Charlton produce an ongoing alternative programme that is sold outside the ground, highlighting their projects, highlighting their issues, and generating money for more projects - we may not get that, but I'm sure some people would willingly give a few quid a month on a standing order type scenario.

Anyone see the green peace banner on the crane behind the white House?

BRenky's Chicken (or something).

We use a small chunk of the money to buy a coup of about 10 chickens in Pune. We register a company as a "poultry business rival" to the Venky's. We can even spray paint the chickens blue and white. Nothing more than a gimmick but could garner some publicity. I know it's daft.

Update:

We have the ad content, we have the ad design, we have the funds to get it into the paper but not a full page.

The advert IMO is great, it has a couple of quotes from Gandhi in there added with nothing but facts about what has happened at our club.

I emailed the design over to a lady at the Times of India, who has replied with:

"Dear Sir,

As per our legal dept, the given ad matter is not acceptable for print."

Times of India now won't touch this with a shi*ty stick, and we are now back to square one.

Use the money for an all out campaign against the FA and FL. They should not be allowing Venkys to run a football club. Or Al-Hadawi, Oyston, SISU, et al.

Football needs a rule change and an update to the fit and proper criteria and it should be applied annually. If a grass roots club doesn't conform to certain standards the lose their affiliation.

If we can't tackle Venkys, we need to go higher.

Well said Stuart 100% agree. All the fans are campaigning to get their owners out not knowing who will take the reigns next or which poor club will be next. It's clear the owners of these clubs hold all the cards and will leave on their terms when ready. If we all fought together to make sure it never happens again or in the first place surly that would be more beneficial to the whole game where every fan, pundits and media personnel could back and get behind. Whilst like vvenkys we still have people disagreeing if there good, bad, necessary or absolute crooks (and I'm sure it's the same at every club) putting something to safeguard the future cannot be argued against

The point about attacking the FA is that there are several clubs who would be interested. We wouldn't be on our own.

The "suitable owners" test would be the area to focus on----us, Blackpool and Coventry for a start!

• Backroom

The point about attacking the FA is that there are several clubs who would be interested. We wouldn't be on our own.

The "suitable owners" test would be the area to focus on----us, Blackpool and Coventry for a start!

It's my view that showing unity with fellow fans tomorrow is the first step, showing the world that #FansUnited is the way forward for the future.

Mybe combined funds with Blackpool,Coventry,Portsmouth ect and do an advert on behalf of us all.

Just as a quick way to generate interest...what about an e-petition for it to be discussed in parliament concerning the fit and proper owners test and how it is applied (and the FA in general) which could be shared with all football fans and not just ours.

A concentrated push by fans online and social media from Blackpool, Charlton, Pompey, Leeds, etc and ourselves could gather a real weight of numbers that the media, and FA/government couldn't just brush under the carpet?

Archived