2 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Got to by 1 main  option  then 2 alternatives depending on which option wins the first.

1 . Leave or remain

2 If Leave - Mays Deal or No Deal

3 If Remain - On same terms  or Full intregration

Over the past two years we have heard how wonderful the EU is , so rather than having special vetos etc  why not go the full hog and become part of the one big happy superstate

Europe isn't one big superstate yet and to be honest I can't see it becoming one for a while either. It may end up being one as young people from all over Europe get more and more used to being able to move around, work and settle elsewhere. But that's natural progression and not something the authorities can impose however much they may want to. And when it happens they'll probably all speak English anyway. Heard so many groups of mixed nationalities in Bruges last week all chatting away together in English 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Europe isn't one big superstate yet and to be honest I can't see it becoming one for a while either. It may end up being one as young people from all over Europe get more and more used to being able to move around, work and settle elsewhere. But that's natural progression and not something the authorities can impose however much they may want to. And when it happens they'll probably all speak English anyway. Heard so many groups of mixed nationalities in Bruges last week all chatting away together in English 

So no qualms about voting to become a proper member of the EU then, that is why it needs to be a option as we have never had a vote prior to 2016 on being a member of the EU.

Edited by perthblue02

In the internet, digital age where people and business and commerce is increasingly interconnected,  integration and globalisation will continue despite the efforts of Brexiteers and Trump.  It is the Brexiteers dream to see the EU disintegrate but it is not going to happen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

So no qualms about voting to become a proper member of EU then, that is why it needs to be a option as we have never had a vote prior to 2016 on joining the EU.

We already had a bespoke deal with the EU, one that suited us with so many optouts and clauses. We were already having our cake and eating it until we threw it away. 

Yep. We had a good deal, now we are leaving and brexiteers are complaining that Brussels won’t give us another one.  Funny world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

We already had a bespoke deal with the EU, one that suited us with so many optouts and clauses. We were already having our cake and eating it until we threw it away. 

Well it has not been thrown away, not yet. 

So full integration or not Jim? from your posts I take it you would not be a little Englander and want special vetos and clauses

24 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Well it has not been thrown away, not yet. 

So full integration or not Jim? from your posts I take it you would not be a little Englander and want special vetos and clauses

My grandchildren hold both German and British passports. My daughter took dual citizenship, having lived in Germany for 15 years, (prior to a referendum in which she had no vote) just in case things got difficult. Part of our problem with the EU has always been that we've never been committed to it and have always tried to plead that we are a special case. It means we've never been as fully involved or as fully trusted as we should be. I'm not an ardent EU supporter. It has many faults and failings as any large organisation serving so many national interests and yet seeking to work in harmony will always have but I'd rather we worked at the problems together than were at one another's throats all the time. 

7 hours ago, Paul said:

I wasn't clear, the option would be Remain or Leave under May's deal. I realise it can be argued this isn't precisely the same question but I feel it is. The public would simply be properly informed of the outcome of their decision and the result would have to be accepted by all, I say as a Remainer. I think there are many sound reasons why we should not accept the previous result.

Paul - I think it needs to be two questions as others have mentioned. The problem with just offering Remain or May's deal is that there is nothing there for those who just want us to walk away. Now you and I and most others with any sense know that walking away without a deal would be disastrous but if that's not an option then many people will cry foul and I suspect boycott the referendum. Then we really would have big problems. I don't for a moment think that a no deal would get a majority but it needs to be there as an option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, only2garners said:

Paul - I think it needs to be two questions as others have mentioned. The problem with just offering Remain or May's deal is that there is nothing there for those who just want us to walk away. Now you and I and most others with any sense know that walking away without a deal would be disastrous but if that's not an option then many people will cry foul and I suspect boycott the referendum. Then we really would have big problems. I don't for a moment think that a no deal would get a majority but it needs to be there as an option.

I don't think many believed the UK would vote leave or Trump would become President but both happened. If we have what I think is being suggested, remain, May's deal or no deal I suspect we would end up with an evenly split vote with one achieving a small majority. This I feel would be even worse than the current 52/48 split. I don't think we should underestimate the British electorate's ability to vote "no deal" through being opposed to both remain, the current deal and wanting to give the government another good kicking.

If there is some form of transferable vote, first, second, third preference I might well refrain from voting. I'm not able to support anything which could facilitate leaving the EU under the current options.

On the assumption that a Remain option is on the ballot paper you can still vote under an STV system - just vote for Remain and ignore any other choices that are not acceptable to you.

send in the army

take back Ireland (in about 10 minutes)

Great Britain

problem solved

HARD BREXIT

The only viable solution to this nonsense.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Franky said:

send in the army

take back Ireland (in about 10 minutes)

Great Britain

problem solved

HARD BREXIT

The only viable solution to this nonsense.

You think sending the army to Ireland to make it British would be problem solved? 

Good job we know you’re taking the piss, Gladwingone.

Considering no form of deal is going to be acceptable to both the eu and the brexiteers. Surely the only option is a second referendum with 2 options

1 cancel everything and pretend it was all a dream like Dallas

2 out with no deal and take wto tarrifs.

No fudges all in or all out.

10 hours ago, Blow-in said:

Considering no form of deal is going to be acceptable to both the eu and the brexiteers. Surely the only option is a second referendum with 2 options

1 cancel everything and pretend it was all a dream like Dallas

2 out with no deal and take wto tarrifs.

No fudges all in or all out.

With this ^ in mind, what will a different Tory PM achieve for the country? If it's a true Brexiteer then the Remainers will start quitting the party, the EU won't agree to a new deal,  and so there won't be anything new for Parliament to vote on. 

There's not even a guarantee May will lose the vote. But if she does, these are the candidates to replace her. FFS!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/19/the-race-to-replace-theresa-may-the-likely-candidates

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Link?

No can do. 😁 Let's just call it a prediction. She's making a statement soon. Probably to tell us that she's feeling strong and stable this morning.

9 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

No can do. 😁 Let's just call it a prediction. She's making a statement soon. Probably to tell us that she's feeling strong and stable this morning.

Or Junker has probably offered May Haw Haw a job as reward -  Germany  oops I mean Brussels calling , This is Brussels calling

Edited by perthblue02