Big development that Mogg now suggesting that he will back May deal due to risk of no brexit at all, if he takes most of the ERG with him then MV3 might get through (even without the DUP supporting it). 

15 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Big development that Mogg now suggesting that he will back May deal due to risk of no brexit at all, if he takes most of the ERG with him then MV3 might get through (even without the DUP supporting it). 

The offset of the Dominic Greive types in the government backbenches will probably mean that it still won't pass, though. The government, minus the DUP, would need virtually all Tories to vote for it, plus a few from Labour (and there have only been a literal few, so far). I can't see MV3 passing without Corbyn whipping to do so, and I think they are only going to whip if MV3 is subsequently put to the people in a referendum.

I think this indicative votes is the only way to break this deadlock - at least in parliament.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm not sure it is law. Parliament voted we would leave on March 29th which now will not happen. The EU has granted an extension but I don't think this has been voted in to law but merely accepted? Booking a holiday in Portugal next, but unsure about this but hey ho off we go!

The legislation bringing in new deadline was set to be voted on tomorrow. If they don't do it then all hell breaks loose this weekend

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rover-the-Top said:

And by being part of the EU, we were closing off global markets that could bring more benefits to the UK.  

Being members of the EU doesn't "close off global markets". We are free to trade with whomever we like.

21 hours ago, Paul said:

I'd like to ask questions rather than challenging the post.

1. What were your reasons for voting Leave?

2. Does May's deal address and resolve the EU issues you were unhappy about?

3. How is this achieved?

4. If your concerns are not addressed by May's deal are you happy with Brexit anyway?

5. Please give me one social or economic benefit to leaving the EU

1. immigration issues. I believe in a similar policy to the Australia. Us setting our laws and having a UK bill of human rights, having a better trade deal with the USA, Canada, Japan and Africa. Fishing policy, save money giving money to the EU and to MEP's. 

2. no 

3. I think the May Deal is best we are going to get from the EU now. maybe 2 years ago we could have got better deal.but I don't believe any leader would get better deal right now. 

4. Yes cos I see certain MP's trying to stop it or delaying it cos they didn't like the outcome. I voted once when asked since why do I need to vote again? Most MP's dont represent me or even know what it like to do a proper day work or having to budget for different situations. 3 years I was more interested in Politics but since Cameron and Osbourne left Parliament I have been less interested. Corbyn has a leader is unelectable in my opinion. May hasn't been good but I rather have her to Corbyn. I believe Gove should take over as leader now/next few weeks. 

5. A better trade deal with USA and Far East which would help my company I worked for to grow even more in those countries. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1. immigration issues. I believe in a similar policy to the Australia. Us setting our laws and having a UK bill of human rights, having a better trade deal with the USA, Canada, Japan and Africa. Fishing policy, save money giving money to the EU and to MEP's. 

Have you read the press reports on our initial meetings with US trade officials ? 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Have you read the press reports on our initial meetings with US trade officials ? 

Lets see what happens when we in the room and out of the EU.

I read Trump's comments about us a having a huge trade deal with them

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Of course, because Trump is a beacon of business and political nous...

Let's see what happens! 

A leap in the dark in other words. 

Clue :the EU represents a much bigger market than the UK. That makes it more valuable as a trading partner so it will obtain better terms.

The UK on its own would get screwed to the wall as the is would know its desperate. We'd have US healthcare companies running the NHS. 

If we left the EU and signed a trade deal with India, we'd get nailed by them as well. They'd know we were desperate, and as a condition of a trade deal, they'd demand better via access. What did that do to your concerns about immigration? 

There's no scenario that's as good as staying in the EU 

Let's see what happens.....so you don't have a clue.

FYI, the US told UK trade negotiators it wants access to the UK for its chlorinated chicken and hormone injected meat - which at the moment it cannot do because of the EU's very high food standards

It also wants access to the NHS for US medical insurance companies, which no doubt would delight UK Conservatives eager to dismantle the health service

Amazingly, we also currently have a trade surplus with the US . so with a president on the other side of the table determined to "make America great again" how do you think that is going to work out?

Liam Fox and his trade team were similarly put in their place in preliminary talks with Japan and India.

In short, future UK bilateral trade deals will not be as favourable as the ones we currently enjoy through the EU.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Let's see what happens.....so you don't have a clue.

FYI, the US told UK trade negotiators it wants access to the UK for its chlorinated chicken and hormone injected meat - which at the moment it cannot do because of the EU's very high food standards

It also wants access to the NHS for US medical insurance companies, which no doubt would delight UK Conservatives eager to dismantle the health service

Amazingly, we also currently have a trade surplus with the US . so with a president on the other side of the table determined to "make America great again" how do you think that is going to work out?

Liam Fox and his trade team were similarly put in their place in preliminary talks with Japan and India.

In short, future UK bilateral trade deals will not be as favourable as the ones we currently enjoy through the EU.

I read the article about USA chicken. 

Jim, you can keep going on if you want Jim but I stand by my view I want out of EU. U dont. 

I read the article about USA chicken. 

Jim, you can keep going on if you want Jim but I stand by my view I want out of EU. U dont. 

Brexit

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I believe Gove should take over as leader now/next few weeks. 

This alone puts an end to any discussion. I worked in education when this idiot was in charge. He was an unmitigated disaster for teachers and pupils alike. And you'd like to see him in charge of the country? I'd laugh if I didn't feel so much like crying. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Being members of the EU doesn't "close off global markets". We are free to trade with whomever we like.

Oh dear Jim, still not accepting the fundamental characteristics of the EU?  Most clued up remainers complain that leaving will damage our trade with the remaining EU due to the imposition of tariffs when currently there are none.  But you seem to believe there are no trade barriers between the EU and the rest of world, so presumably you expect our international trading relationships to remain exactly the same? Of course you're wrong, customs unions, tariffs and quality standards have been central to the debate throughout. If you don't want to take it from me, read up about it from the BBC, the Guardian or Wikipedia....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Oh my god.😂 So you do know there are restrictions on trade? Why do you keep insisting to me that there aren't?  We can't import chlorinated chicken from the USA whilst in the EU.  We will be able to when we leave. Whether we want to is another debate, but it's just one example of a market that will be open to us that currently is not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rover-the-Top said:

Oh dear Jim, still not accepting the fundamental characteristics of the EU?  Most clued up remainers complain that leaving will damage our trade with the remaining EU due to the imposition of tariffs when currently there are none.

Yes, no one is disputing that. But that's something entirely different and not what you said. 

8 minutes ago, Rover-the-Top said:

But you seem to believe there are no trade barriers between the EU and the rest of world, so presumably you expect our international trading relationships to remain exactly the same?

WTO rules apply in same cases at present, but not in others. The same will apply if we leave. But you stated being in the EU "closes off global markets", which clearly isn't true.  We can trade with all countries, either through existing EU trade agreements or through WTO rules.

UK trade negotiators think they can roll over EU trade trade agreements into bilateral UK deals but talks with the US, Japan, India and a few others already have shown that this is not going to happen. Any future deals will be on worse terms from our point of view

Just now, Rover-the-Top said:

Oh my god.😂 So you do know there are restrictions on trade? Why do you keep insisting to me that there aren't?  We can't import chlorinated chicken from the USA whilst in the EU.  We will be able to when we leave. Whether we want to is another debate, but it's just one example of a market that will be open to us that currently is not.

Its a very good example of how we're going to be taken to the cleaners without the numerical clout of the EU.

Astonishing that you can see anything positive there.

By the way, there is not a problem in eating chlorinated chicken, its the conditions that the chickens were reared in that made the chlorination necessary in the first place.

Its a health issue and an animal cruelty issue.

Just now, Rover-the-Top said:

Where have I said there aren't any restrictions? Again you're making it up

If you think we;ll get a better deal with the US than the existing EU deal you're more naive than you already appear. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Yes, no one is disputing that. But that's something entirely different and not what you said. 

WTO rules apply in same cases at present, but not in others. The same will apply if we leave. But you stated being in the EU "closes off global markets", which clearly isn't true.  We can trade with all countries, either through existing EU trade agreements or through WTO rules.

UK trade negotiators think they can roll over EU trade trade agreements into bilateral UK deals but talks with the US, Japan, India and a few others already have shown that this is not going to happen. Any future deals will be on worse terms from our point of view

Still going after you proved yourself wrong? Wow.

Can we buy chlorinated chicken from America? No.  Is that because of EU regulations? Yes. So clearly it is true that the EU closes off global markets. You've literally cited an example that proves it.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

Its a very good example of how we're going to be taken to the cleaners without the numerical clout of the EU.

Astonishing that you can see anything positive there.

By the way, there is not a problem in eating chlorinated chicken, its the conditions that the chickens were reared in that made the chlorination necessary in the first place.

Its a health issue and an animal cruelty issue.

Trade always has benefits both ways. If there's demand for chlorinated chicken, that will be good for British consumers. It'll be good for British retailers. And if there isn't demand, we're not going to be force fed something we don't want. Not sure how you think we'll be taken to the cleaners.

• Haha 1