9 hours ago, dave birch said:

Fair enough NR, but:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/11/britains-billionaires-prepare-flee-country-amid-fears-jeremy/

Money talks....it fears Corbyn more than Brexit.

I think you'll find The Telegraph publishes this article fairly regularly but changing the name of the Labour leader and wealthy individuals to stay up to date.

Dyson, Green and many others have kept their money out of the UK for years for tax purposes.

If Sheeran and McCilroy leave I'm sure the economy will collapse overnight.

Edited by Paul

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. 

It's not fast from becoming a mental health issue for me. On and on it goes, like Japanese water torture. No-one appears willing or able to turn the tap off. 

The brexit party isn't actually a political party, it's a corporation. You can't become a member, you can only donate money to them. They're no manifesto, but their voters don't care. 

It makes me sick to think he might get away with it. Remember this is the guy who ran away from a car crash that his car t was involved with. He's nowhere to be seen when the stuff hits the fan. 

It doesn't matter how many of his fans turn on him when it all goes to shit, it will be too late then

Have 2 men done any more damage to this country than Nigel Farage and David Cameron? 

At times like this I’m moved to remember that this whole catastrophe is down to the strategic genius of Cameron. His willingness to risk the entire country’s future in a quest to unite the shambles masquerading as the Conservative party is without parallel, even by their standards.

It’s what happens when a party’s process for selecting a leader is devoted to ensuring they’re from the right caste and their sole qualification is they think they’d be “good at it”.

A pox on them all.  

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Have 2 men done any more damage to this country than Nigel Farage and David Cameron? 

At times like this I’m moved to remember that this whole catastrophe is down to the strategic genius of Cameron. His willingness to risk the entire country’s future in a quest to unite the shambles masquerading as the Conservative party is without parallel, even by their standards.

It’s what happens when a party’s process for selecting a leader is devoted to ensuring they’re from the right caste and their sole qualification is they think they’d be “good at it”.

A pox on them all.  

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Arron Banks, Steve Bannon? 

I’ll just give the OP a chance to reply to my question then I’ll post a reply to some of you lots replies to the question of my alleged stupidity. 

🙂

9 hours ago, broadsword said:

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. 

It's not fast from becoming a mental health issue for me. On and on it goes, like Japanese water torture. No-one appears willing or able to turn the tap off. 

The brexit party isn't actually a political party, it's a corporation. You can't become a member, you can only donate money to them. They're no manifesto, but their voters don't care. 

It makes me sick to think he might get away with it. Remember this is the guy who ran away from a car crash that his car t was involved with. He's nowhere to be seen when the stuff hits the fan. 

It doesn't matter how many of his fans turn on him when it all goes to shit, it will be too late then

I feel much the same. Watching this guy get away with things in the way he does and seeing people hail him as saviour of all that's best about Britain sickens me to the core. If you'd asked Europeans what were the best things about the British before the Brexit fiasco started they'd all have mentioned our tolerance, our support for underdogs, our sense of the innate value of even less apparently worthy members of society. This wasn't always played out at national level but was the chief personal characteristic of British people that they perceived. This guy flys in the face of all that with his narrow minded self centred attitude and validates that attitude in those who need someone to blame for the problems of our nation. The unwieldy and apparently remote EU offers this and Farage exploits it to the max

The Brexit party makes no difference to the maths in the House of Commons. 

image.thumb.png.d1521e93afd5f3687637aeea1b993506.png

Only revoking Article 50 only option commanding majority support according to Comres poll.

Yougov confirming that Lib Dems and Labour tied in the lead in London.

On 13/05/2019 at 01:21, old darwen blue said:

I’ll just give the OP a chance to reply to my question then I’ll post a reply to some of you lots replies to the question of my alleged stupidity. 

🙂

I don’t believe you’re actually stupid, you’re quite articulate. But I do believe you’re motivated by your own opinions more than the potential impact of your decisions on the wider world. And there are certainly actions that are stupid:

Being rigidly pro-Brexit in the face of its overwhelming impossibility (and the associated economic ruin and political ridicule) is stupid.

Supporting a man at the head of a corporation with no manifesto is stupid.

Supporting an elitist millionaire who because he claims to be a man of the people (remember the average annual salary is at least 40x less than what he personally has) is stupid.

Supporting a Brexit Party in a EU election despite wanting no part in the EU is stupid.

And people who do stupid things often enough get a reputation for being stupid, no matter how intelligent they may be #DianeAbbott

13 hours ago, Mike E said:

I don’t believe you’re actually stupid, you’re quite articulate. But I do believe you’re motivated by your own opinions more than the potential impact of your decisions on the wider world. And there are certainly actions that are stupid:

Being rigidly pro-Brexit in the face of its overwhelming impossibility (and the associated economic ruin and political ridicule) is stupid.

Supporting a man at the head of a corporation with no manifesto is stupid.

Supporting an elitist millionaire who because he claims to be a man of the people (remember the average annual salary is at least 40x less than what he personally has) is stupid.

Supporting a Brexit Party in a EU election despite wanting no part in the EU is stupid.

And people who do stupid things often enough get a reputation for being stupid, no matter how intelligent they may be #DianeAbbott

“Quite articulate “ lol!

What are you again, a supply teacher?

7 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

“Quite articulate “ lol!

What are you again, a supply teacher?

Hands up, please!

I didn’t mean the ‘quite’ as a slight. Happy to tell you you’re ‘articulate’, if you need reassurance from a computer screen?

Edited by Mike E

18 hours ago, DeeCee said:

High and mighty ffs 🙄

Perhaps. I generally don’t look up to those who do stupid things and don’t learn/adapt from them.

Anyone watched Brexit Behind Closed doors on iPlayer. Very very funny. Belgian documentary about Brexit from the EUs perspective.

My god we look absolutely shambolic!

Brexit's been a big eye opener for Europeans. Their long held perception of the UK being a decent, pragmatic, well-run country with a civil service regarded as the best in the world has been exploded by the farce in Westminster. Well, they're finding out what we've known for decades; that Britain has been badly managed by a self-serving political elite whose only interest is to accumulate and protect their vast wealth at the expense of the majority. Theresa May's lamentable performance as PM, in which she sought only to stay in power for the good of the Conservative party, not the country, was typical of the sheer ineptitude that we have had to endure. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Brexit's been a big eye opener for Europeans. Their long held perception of the UK being a decent, pragmatic, well-run country with a civil service regarded as the best in the world has been exploded by the farce in Westminster. Well, they're finding out what we've known for decades; that Britain has been badly managed by a self-serving political elite whose only interest is to accumulate and protect their vast wealth at the expense of the majority. Theresa May's lamentable performance as PM, in which she sought only to stay in power for the good of the Conservative party, not the country, was typical of the sheer ineptitude that we have had to endure. 

I sort of agree with the eye opener thing. But then again I don't think many European countries could claim to be much better.

On May. I don't actually think her stepping down would have or will solve anything. It's not really her as an individual whose the issue, its the fact that politically we are absolutely riven in the UK with no real prospect of any sort of compromise.

When she goes there will be a new face but the carnage will continue.

Problem is that the other lot are as bad so scared of losing seats in leave constituencies that they darent tell it like it is and so they sit on the fence or aim for Brexit that means we do everything we do now except have any say in the rules of the organisation 

The lack of compromise comes from FPTP and the confrontational nature of the Commons with the benches of the 2 main parties facing each other. A modern state would have PR and an assembly in a semi-circle where MPS can debate in a less aggressive style. The refurbishment of the Commons is a complete waste of money - the building should be turned into a museum and parliament moved north

The current farce is bound to continue. Just look at the poor quality of the candidates to replace May

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Perhaps. I generally don’t look up to those who do stupid things and don’t learn/adapt from them.

I think it’s a general trait of teachers that they consider themselves intellectually above others.

Pedantry and condescension know no better home.

5 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

I think it’s a general trait of teachers that they consider themselves intellectually above others.

Pedantry and condescension know no better home.

Maybe, but I’m not a teacher.

Doing stupid things has nothing to do with intelligence, or perception of intelligence. I’ve already explicitly said I don’t believe you to be stupid, but for some reason you took it as meaning I did.

Edited by Mike E

One of the strangest things about the Brexit party and those who chose to vote or support Nigel Farage is what they are voting for. Farage is standing for election to the EU Parliament the very institution he and his supporters wish to leave.

Supporting a Parliament one wishes to leave by sending representatives there strikes me as bizarre and somewhat stupid. Surely one elects an MEP to represent one's views and make change in that Parliament not leave it?

Does Farage have any policies other than leave? Does he have any interest in education, social care, the environment etc? Knowing and understanding this would be useful.

Quite amused yesterday to receive a postcard from UKIP. The only canvassing materials we have received so far.

31 minutes ago, Paul said:

One of the strangest things about the Brexit party and those who chose to vote or support Nigel Farage is what they are voting for. Farage is standing for election to the EU Parliament the very institution he and his supporters wish to leave.

Supporting a Parliament one wishes to leave by sending representatives there strikes me as bizarre and somewhat stupid. Surely one elects an MEP to represent one's views and make change in that Parliament not leave it?

Does Farage have any policies other than leave? Does he have any interest in education, social care, the environment etc? Knowing and understanding this would be useful.

Quite amused yesterday to receive a postcard from UKIP. The only canvassing materials we have received so far.

Farage is a UKIP MEP still...