And all the other Brexit job losses?

Still not one single reason been offered for Brexit which stands up to logical examination 273 pages in.

9 hours ago, Silas said:

You're making yourselves look foolish now.  

You've already done it

"No, there's an answer for the swarm to feed on. You can crack on with your insults now. Matters not to me. For the record, if we do leave, of course the  UK is going to be worse off out the EU, it's a no brainer."

"Not as bad as some would try to paint though.(I mean c'mon,  the car industry has been on road to ruin for years). And the EU will also be considerably worse off without us."

100000 Tory party members are going to elect the next prime minister, hence the UKs strategy on brexit and everything else. The leading candidate Johnson is making tax cuts for the rich his priority. 

Democracy eh?

Edited by den

Johnson says he will fund the £10bn cost of the tax cuts by using money put aside for a no-deal Brexit and raising NI contributions.  The IFS says the latter will benefit in particular rich pensioners  (the Tory party base) because they do not pay NI.

The country is crying out for investment in public services and an end to inequality, and is willing to fund it by higher taxes, and then we have Johnson pledging further tax cuts for well off people and further deterioration of services, - while at the same time claiming to be a "One Nation" Tory.  

When will the white working class that voted for Brexit and apparently revers Johnson realise it's been conned? 

It’s very likely that the next PM won’t get their brexit plans past parliament - and Johnson’s tax plans won’t either. It’s crying out for a GE.

johnsons tax plan to give tax breaks to those earning over £80000 are obviously aimed at the rich Tory pensioners who will be deciding the country’s fate.

Democracy eh?

Edited by den

Those of us who despair of the Tories can go on holiday for a few weeks as ten inadequates play musical chairs for a selectorate of wealthy Home Counties pensioners.

If they are unelectable now, wait until this shit show is over!

This clip nails Brexit reality by the way:

It also neatly explains why I am a true patriot and Brexiters are in cloud cuckoo land.

37 minutes ago, philipl said:

Those of us who despair of the Tories can go on holiday for a few weeks as ten inadequates play musical chairs for a selectorate of wealthy Home Counties pensioners.

Approx 150,000 largely older people deciding the direction of the country, potentially for decades, with one of the candidates blatantly offering them tax cuts to vote for him. And the Brexiteers complain about a lack of democracy. 

3 hours ago, philipl said:

This clip nails Brexit reality by the way:

It also neatly explains why I am a true patriot and Brexiters are in cloud cuckoo land.

A true patriot living in Malta? 

Are you a tax exile Phillip?

As I understand it a major part of the argument for leaving the EU is to protect and retain our sovereignty and re-establish the UK parliament as the place where our laws are made.

A number of the leading candidates in the Conservative leadership campaign are prepared to prorogue parliament in order to force through Brexit. Leavers voted to protect our sovereignty and the very people wanting to lead us out of the EU now want to shut down our democratically elected parliament to achieve this.

There are 17.4 million people out there who need to have a little bit of a think. You have been fed lies, lies, lies and now sovereignty could be flushed down the toilet.

Time to smell the coffee Leavers.

Not strictly Brexit related but I haven't seen any comments about the first round of Tory leadership voting.

Boris Johnson garnered by far the most votes which in turn prompted the right wing press to jump for joy.

On 14/06/2019 at 14:24, speeeeeeedie said:

Not strictly Brexit related but I haven't seen any comments about the first round of Tory leadership voting.

Boris Johnson garnered by far the most votes which in turn prompted the right wing press to jump for joy.

Agreed it's not strictly Brexit but the outcome will have a huge impact on whether we leave or not. I feel Johnson is a certainty for the Tory leadership as I can't him being defeated in the contest to chose the final two. If he makes the final two he will win the party vote. 

With one exception all are equally unpleasant individuals who will further damage the country with their policies. Hunt, Gove, Javid, Raab? None can be trusted and should not be prime minister.

Rory Stewart gives the impression of being a decent individual. Of the six he's the one I would give the benefit of the doubt. The other five make my skin crawl and have repeatedly proven they should not be trusted with leadership of this country.

Johnson will win.

Edited by Paul

On 11/06/2019 at 13:18, old darwen blue said:

A true patriot living in Malta? 

Are you a tax exile Phillip?

No I am not a tax exile.

Yes I am far more a patriot than any Brexiteer.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2019/0614/1055418-double-whammy-a-no-deal-brexit-and-northern-ireland/

In the event of a no deal Brexit or a deal without the Backstop, Northern Ireland quite simply will cease to exist economically.

It is not difficult to foresee the rest of the UK running into very similar problems in the event of No Deal. 

Seriously, please read this through to the end.

Johnson in one anecdote.

If I were a Brexiter, I'd be very worried...

Quite telling that the Conservative leadership candidates predominantly lamented the poor running of the NHS, Immigration, and Education. If only Hunt, Javid, and Gove respectively had been in government and able to affect proceedings.

Oh wait.

The only one who comes across as someone who LISTENS TO PEOPLE is Rory Stewart and it did not surprise me he was applauded quite a lot.

Hopefully people cotton on to the Boris pantomime, but I doubt it personally. They think he's the same liberal-viewed Boris that was made Mayor of London and championed British values at the 2012 Olympics.

Nope, this is the insidious and incompetent Boris who makes racist remarks about British subjects, gets their sentences abroad extended, and can't keep the secret of in whom he puts his knob from month to month.

Edited by Mike E

About 140,000 white, old, wealthy Little Englanders deciding the fate of 60m people.  The political system needs urgent reform. Only Corbyn can do it.  

On 17/06/2019 at 10:44, philipl said:

Johnson in one anecdote.

Absolutely hilarious thanks for posting. 

42 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

About 140,000 white, old, wealthy Little Englanders deciding the fate of 60m people.  The political system needs urgent reform. Only Corbyn can do it.  

But he's a gormless idiot.

Through his idiotic actions he even somehow managed to let The Conservatives blame him for the Brexit mess.

Just now, old darwen blue said:

Absolutely hilarious thanks for posting. 

Not so hilarious when you remember he's going to be PM though.

On 17/06/2019 at 10:44, philipl said:

Johnson in one anecdote.

I'm not a Brexiteer, and I'm very worried. Johnson is a professional clown. He shouldn't be an MP, never mind on the doorsteps of No 10. 

I remember when Johnson used to be on Have I got news for you. I always found him funny, kind of a bumbling oaf. I think that's his shtick.  It's bizzare that it has gotten to the point things are at now. Personally, I think that Rory Stewart comes across well. I haven't been following British politics that closely as of late, there were stages where I probably knew more about your politics than Irish politics as I used to watch BBC and SKY a lot. Absolute BREXIT saturation point was reached though.

So, what I have heard is that Johnson is going to win and to get BREXIT through he will shaft the DUP and have a sea border from the British mainland to Ireland and Northern Ireland. While obviously I think this is hilarious, I do hope the loyalists don't kick off because of it. At the end of the day, I still think what messed May up was calling that election where she ended up having to rely on a group who would literally tell you the sky was orange if you said it was blue. 

I will be honest, I was always someone who wanted a united Ireland, but as I have gotten older and ,I won't say wiser, maybe more cynical, I have come to the realisation that there is no way we could absorb the 6 counties back. Purely the logistics of taking over hospitals and schools, let alone the financial piece. It's pie in the sky stuff now. Just let Northern Ireland be it's own country, be that in the UK, the EU or wherever they want, but just don't start shooting each other again. 

3 hours ago, philipl said:

image.thumb.png.28293aee2c8306c8b2a8cd05ae110083.png

If ever a graph summed up a group of people putting their party before their country, there you have it. We all know politicians do it, but to see it so clearly shown here is crazy! 61% want BREXIT even if it means significant damage to the UK economy. That's really, really mad stuff. 

I suppose in their defence though, it has dragged on a bit at this point :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

If the border is moved to the Irish Sea, then do Northern Ireland exist?

23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If the border is moved to the Irish Sea, then do Northern Ireland exist?

Ya, but it will be separate from the UK then in ways that will have long-lasting effects. it's better for Northern Ireland though. They get the best of both worlds, being in the EU and being in the UK. Cha ching!