Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 47er said:

His idea is to have a daily press conference where he can throw something bizarre in and know it will dominate the headlines till the next one.

In this way he denies Biden any oxygen.

He is 24 hours political campaigning, nothing else matters to him.

I'm thinking of having my lungs surgically removed, dry cleaned, and then replaced if I get it. Do you think it'll work Mr President ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Back onto Brexit,  a no deal at this point wouldn't be so bad. The EU is heavily reliant on China  so I'm not arsed about buying anything from them anymore

The back benches might be twitching at the thought of sneaking it through.....

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Well it looks like the EU is eating itself from the inside out.  The EU commissioner for values reckons the EU has a morbid dependency on china and India for drugs....so, good luck with that 

As does the UK only the EU can do something about it and is doing.

There will be one of three outcomes in June:

1) Extension for two years or when a deal is struck whichever is the sooner.

2) Johnson takes the EU terms set out in the 350 page document on the europa web site (the UK still doesn't know what it wants)

3) No deal Brexit in which case man the soup kitchens

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Back onto Brexit,  a no deal at this point wouldn't be so bad. The EU is heavily reliant on China  so I'm not arsed about buying anything from them anymore

The back benches might be twitching at the thought of sneaking it through.....

I'm pleased to hear you're not arsed. Fortunately grown-ups realise we have to continue trading with our biggest trading partners. 

The economy is going down the tubes as a result of Covid. Let’s get the worst Brexit deal possible as the cherry on the cake. Then we can all move on to the dole queue.

Posted (edited)

I think you will see a shift from the over reliance of cheap tat from china after all this.

Edited by Sparks Rover

17 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think you will see a shift from the over reliance of cheap tat from china after all this.

Hopefully yes. But I'm not holding my breath. Your average Briton wants cheap prices and doesn't care where it's made or who has been abused making it. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Do you ever look for  the country of origin in whatever you buy ? The amount of stuff that is made in China is mind blowing these days. Even some of what used to be quality British brands are made there. Don't fall for this " Designed in the UK " guff, maybe it was but where was it made ?

I used to be " TK Maxx's " best customer until the lockdown closed them. Do you like " Ralph Lauren ", " Hugo Boss ", Calvin Klein " ? Lots of their stuff is made in China. I always looked out for a Swedish shirt maker called " Eton ". Great quality and relatively cheap over here because they aren't a " name " brand. Last one I looked at was made in China. Same price as the ones that used to be made in Sweden.

I had my eye on a nice rain proof jacket made by " Hunter " who make the high end wellington boots for all the celebs. Should have been £175, TK price £75. When I looked carefully at the label it said " Made In Indonesia ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Hopefully yes. But I'm not holding my breath. Your average Briton wants cheap prices and doesn't care where it's made or who has been abused making it. 

Including everyone posting on this site, who's computers/phones/tablets will have parts made in the Far East where these practises are rife.

The older the computer, the more likely the parts will have been through sweatshops. 

Just on this topic, my Mrs bought this fair trade T-Shit a few days ago, its not cheap but is probably as ethical as its gets:

https://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/people-tree/bbc-earth-organic-cheetah-tee/?PCode=DSGPESS15&gclid=CjwKCAjwv4_1BRAhEiwAtMDLsk7hRbO8UUxE06cYyh-KU5h4ycR2-qcajqzRhuzL7VJaBqR_dru85xoCESQQAvD_BwE

I'm not surprised that it'e very ethical Gav if it's made of sh!t!

Jokes apart there are plenty of sources to buy all sorts of Fairtrade products, both online and in most major supermarkets. There is for example no reason why anyone cannot get all their tea, coffee and chocolate from Fairtrade sources.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

I'm not surprised that it'e very ethical Gav if it's made of sh!t!

Jokes apart there are plenty of sources to buy all sorts of Fairtrade products, both online and in most major supermarkets. There is for example no reason why anyone cannot get all their tea, coffee and chocolate from Fairtrade sources.

:lol: very good O2G

Yes very true on fair trade products.

There's going to be a massive Brexit extension. No way it's happening in the time of Coronavirus.

What a shitshow the last four years have been - Brexit, Trump, Global Pandemic. If you'd told someone in 2014 that was round the corner they would have asked you what crack you were smoking.

I am sincerely hoping we've hit bottom and sanity will return next year. Usually after a major global crisis (Great Depression, the World Wars, collapse of the Soviet Union) the world emerges a better place as everyone realises that treating each other decently and working together actually makes a lot of sense as opposed to profiteering and killing one another. Let's hope that trend is maintained.

The leader in todays " Sunday Observer " is very good on this subject - just a paragraph from it. 

" Brexit " continues to be an unwelcome, unnecessary and damaging distraction today. Many, including this newspaper, believe it always was. The difference now is those same Tory Brexiteers who could barely contain their glee in January do not want to discuss it either. Even for them, Brexit has become a problematical embarrassment. It's not hard to discern why. What sane government, at this time, would deliberately risk further disruption to vital trade, business, investment and security lifelines ? Yet thanks to the Brexiteers, this second catastrophe is racing towards us like a run away train loaded with explosives ". 

Apparently we have got until the 30th of June to ask the EU for an extension. My money is on an extension.  

Johnson has vowed not to have an extension - which means it's a racing certainty. The economy is already heading for a slump 

https://www.ft.com/content/e4ec42a1-d789-4c59-b27a-3a3a20433a02

even without the Brexit shitshow. The last thing we need is another hit to GDP from this self-inflicted national suicide mission.

For all our sakes, Get Brexit Cancelled. 

Now

Furloughed workers encouraged to work as fruit pickers.

after you, brexiteers 😀

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, den said:

Furloughed workers encouraged to work as fruit pickers.

after you, brexiteers 😀

My son is home from university as its closed, perhaps if they kept a good social distancing it would be a decent earner and good exercise.   The rates of pay will be up.    

Theres a few growers at Tarelton just up the road    

Edited by Sparks Rover

I'm guessing Den was referring to the gammons of a certain age, who have spent the last few years raging about foreigners, Corbyn, 'leftie libtards' when they are not in Wetherspoons talking about sovereignty and long time MEP Nigel Farage, whilst signing an energy contract with EDF rather than university age people. 

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I'm guessing Den was referring to the gammons of a certain age, who have spent the last few years raging about foreigners, Corbyn, 'leftie libtards' when they are not in Wetherspoons talking about sovereignty and long time MEP Nigel Farage, whilst signing an energy contract with EDF rather than university age people. 

And that's only because they were trying to donate to the EDL

5 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Makes no sense unless all the furloughed are just brexit supporters. 

•  
  •  
  •  

Am not first to comment on this today but below observation by Michael Gove that #coronavirus will focus EU minds on post #Brexit trade deal is delusional. It distracts EU leaders all the more from something that was not top of in-tray even before COVID-19
There is logic in assuming the EU worries about economic effect of #coronavirus . The UK imports from EU more than it exports to bloc. There is European interest in keeping that business going esp amongst closest trade partners eg Ireland, NL BUT /2 
a) not at any price b) this is not more of a priority now than before Covid-19. EU priority right now is to get past health crisis and help single market back on feet. To protect and boost single market rather than agree trade terms with UK the EU believes weakens the market /3 
Remember many member states do little business of significance with U.K. and even big powers Germany and France who do trade a lot with UK, the figures are small compared to what they earn out of single market as a whole /4 
In the immediate term the focus of Merkel, Macron et al is definitely not Brexit. It’s to try to navigate #coronavirus crisis w political reputation intact, population as unscarred as possible, while performing damage limitation on national economy first then eurozone as whole /5 

Brexiters, huh

50,000 applied to be fruit pickers. 112 turned up- it is in the Torygraph.

Meanwhile,

150 mostly American companies including Ford, JP Morgan, Mars, Hewlett-Packard, effectively call for the kind of close trading relationship with the EU envisaged by May rejected by Johnson. Unified Patent Court as well as EU system protecting intellectual property rights both require a role for ECJ.

Personally gearing up for No Deal Brexit 31 December. Already doing well but business will explode removing jobs and investment from the UK.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Brexiters, huh

50,000 applied to be fruit pickers. 112 turned up- it is in the Torygraph.

Meanwhile,

150 mostly American companies including Ford, JP Morgan, Mars, Hewlett-Packard, effectively call for the kind of close trading relationship with the EU envisaged by May rejected by Johnson. Unified Patent Court as well as EU system protecting intellectual property rights both require a role for ECJ.

Personally gearing up for No Deal Brexit 31 December. Already doing well but business will explode removing jobs and investment from the UK.

How many of the 112 will make it through to next week ?

This is fantastic news for every individual who disputes there is any legal right to remove their European citizenship.

A case is being brought in Europe against the European Council claiming that the UK Withdrawal Agreement cannot deny people their citizenship.

Professor Joshua Silver, a Physics Professor of Oxford University who is bringing the case explains:

Firstly, a little history:  In common with many of you, I suspect, on 24th June 2016 I asked the apparently simple question - does anyone actually have the legal power to simply  "remove" my EU Citizenship and Rights? 

Several lawyers I asked said "no". So in July I wrote to Mr Michel Barnier to ask for his confirmation. After further opinions by other lawyers, I wrote again to Mr Barnier advising that we would bring a legal action. I also started the petition on EUCitizenship.org.uk for those UK EU Citizens who wish to retain their EU Citizenship and Rights.

In January 2020 I was approached by Dr Alexandra von Westernhagen who shared with me her legal analysis which concludes that EU Citizenship is a permanent status which can't be removed without our consent.  

Together, and with your help, we filed a “landmark case” on 23 April 2020, with Professor Takis Tridimas who was instructed by Dr Alexandra Von Westernhagen and Mr David Harrison of DAC Beachcroft. 

The case is formally an action to annul the decision of the EU Council of Ministers of 30 January 2020, which approved the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement, insofar as it deprives the case applicants, without their consent and without due process, of their status as EU Citizens and their rights resulting from that status. 

The case argues that whilst the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement may have resulted in the UK as a nation leaving the EU, the fundamental status - and related fundamental rights - of UK Citizens as citizens of the European Union simply cannot be removed by that agreement without the Citizens consent. If we are successful, UK Citizens will retain their rights as EU citizens - for example the right to live and work in EU member states. 

In essence, we are asking the Court to rule on the nature of the European Union: Is it a Union for and between the people of Europe. This is a fundamental question for all 500 million plus EU citizens and it goes to the heart of the EU. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, philipl said:

This is fantastic news for every individual who disputes there is any legal right to remove their European citizenship.

A case is being brought in Europe against the European Council claiming that the UK Withdrawal Agreement cannot deny people their citizenship.

Professor Joshua Silver, a Physics Professor of Oxford University who is bringing the case explains:

Firstly, a little history:  In common with many of you, I suspect, on 24th June 2016 I asked the apparently simple question - does anyone actually have the legal power to simply  "remove" my EU Citizenship and Rights? 

Several lawyers I asked said "no". So in July I wrote to Mr Michel Barnier to ask for his confirmation. After further opinions by other lawyers, I wrote again to Mr Barnier advising that we would bring a legal action. I also started the petition on EUCitizenship.org.uk for those UK EU Citizens who wish to retain their EU Citizenship and Rights.

In January 2020 I was approached by Dr Alexandra von Westernhagen who shared with me her legal analysis which concludes that EU Citizenship is a permanent status which can't be removed without our consent.  

Together, and with your help, we filed a “landmark case” on 23 April 2020, with Professor Takis Tridimas who was instructed by Dr Alexandra Von Westernhagen and Mr David Harrison of DAC Beachcroft. 

The case is formally an action to annul the decision of the EU Council of Ministers of 30 January 2020, which approved the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement, insofar as it deprives the case applicants, without their consent and without due process, of their status as EU Citizens and their rights resulting from that status. 

The case argues that whilst the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement may have resulted in the UK as a nation leaving the EU, the fundamental status - and related fundamental rights - of UK Citizens as citizens of the European Union simply cannot be removed by that agreement without the Citizens consent. If we are successful, UK Citizens will retain their rights as EU citizens - for example the right to live and work in EU member states. 

In essence, we are asking the Court to rule on the nature of the European Union: Is it a Union for and between the people of Europe. This is a fundamental question for all 500 million plus EU citizens and it goes to the heart of the EU. 

Very interesting, hope you succeed. 

Edited by 47er

15 hours ago, philipl said:

Still fighting the referendum 4 years on....😞