3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

News source: the Daily Getsworse. 

Might as well cut out the middle man and read Central Office. press releases

You mean " The Daily Getsmuchworse " Jim.

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well BBC got this one badly wrong didnt they? 

For now. Nobodies jobs are safe when the decisions are made in Tokyo

Nissan have specifically said that they are going to target America and Asia and will leave Europe to their subsidiary/partner Renault. I wouldn't be terribly confident in the long run that car production will stay in Sunderland rather than be moved to France.

If Renault take over the running of the Sunderland plant, it will be closed in the next 10 years regardless of how efficient it is. Peugeot had a big factory in Coventry, employing around 2000 people, and despite it being the most efficient plant in the company, it was closed when the company downsized or sought to move production to East Europe. No French plant was closed, despite being worse in terms of production.

3 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

If Renault take over the running of the Sunderland plant, it will be closed in the next 10 years regardless of how efficient it is. Peugeot had a big factory in Coventry, employing around 2000 people, and despite it being the most efficient plant in the company, it was closed when the company downsized or sought to move production to East Europe. No French plant was closed, despite being worse in terms of production.

Nissan Qashqai are in the top 5 of new cars bought this year and 6th last year. 

So Nissan know that the UK people like their cars. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nissan Qashqai are in the top 5 of new cars bought this year and 6th last year. 

So Nissan know that the UK people like their cars. 

There are going to be massive changes in the the automotive industry in the next ten to fifteen years with the demise of petrol and diesel vehicles.

Is much of the supply chain in the UK? A no deal Brexit could mean getting parts or raw materials could be more expensive, and keeping a factory open to cater for a few million customers may not be as profitable than moving production to somewhere in the EU, which I believe has signed a new trade deal with Japan, which has many more potential customers. It probably all comes down to how much paperwork there will be and if their are any tariffs.

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Is much of the supply chain in the UK? A no deal Brexit could mean getting parts or raw materials could be more expensive, and keeping a factory open to cater for a few million customers may not be as profitable than moving production to somewhere in the EU, which I believe has signed a new trade deal with Japan, which has many more potential customers. It probably all comes down to how much paperwork there will be and if their are any tariffs.

Yes I believe so much of the supply chain is in the UK. 

Nissan's chief executive Makoto Uchida said production in Europe will be centered at the British plant, as the brand reduces its global production and number of model offerings by 20 per cent by 2023. 

New cars built in Europe are likely to become £1,500 more expensive on average for UK customers next year due to 10% post-Brexit import tariffs

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8336985/amp/European-cars-1-500-expensive-Brexit-10-import-tariffs.html?ico=amp_articleInlineText

50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

New cars built in Europe are likely to become £1,500 more expensive on average for UK customers next year due to 10% post-Brexit import tariffs

Cars are priced to sell, so I cant imagine the manufacturer and main dealers pricing their cars more expensive than a british produced car.  You'll not notice any difference,  most people fund their car with residual value leasimg/finance .  

That's the one that'll really rocket. Irish beef will have a 40% tariff under WTO rules, and we get a lot of veg from Spain and Holland. 

Nissan say they will base their production in Britain, but we will see. It depends on how many they sell in the EU, particularly when the switch to electric and/or hydrogen cars really takes off. If the cars made in Britain are subject to tariffs when sold in the EU, then they could decide to move to the bigger market one day as it may make economic sense. When your country is owned by foreigners, you can be vulnerable to hard headed business decisions that screw your plans up. The UK is owned by foreigners.

I suspect Nissan is in receipt of monster sized behind the scenes subsidies to buy their presence in the UK.

This will come back to bite Government in the bum when other major companies whose supply chains and markets get smashed start asking for equivalent Nissan deals.

If the EU doesn't like the look of the State aid to Nissan, good luck with the penalty tariffs.

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

That's the one that'll really rocket. Irish beef will have a 40% tariff under WTO rules, and we get a lot of veg from Spain and Holland. 

Nissan say they will base their production in Britain, but we will see. It depends on how many they sell in the EU, particularly when the switch to electric and/or hydrogen cars really takes off. If the cars made in Britain are subject to tariffs when sold in the EU, then they could decide to move to the bigger market one day as it may make economic sense. When your country is owned by foreigners, you can be vulnerable to hard headed business decisions that screw your plans up. The UK is owned by foreigners.

They were warnings to EU that Nissan would pull out EU and stay in UK. Article in the Guardian 4 months outlines. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/03/nissan-eu-uk-hard-brexit

Nissan Qashqai are very popular in the UK. 

But were not all going to rush out and buy a new Qashqai

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, gumboots said:

But were not all going to rush out and buy a new Qashqai

well no one said you were tho

Nissan Qashqai was 6st most popular car bought last year in the UK and 5th most popular car bought in the 1st 3 months of this year. 

I will probably go and buy a new car some point this year. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nissan Qashqai was 6st most popular car bought last year in the UK and 5th most popular car bought in the 1st 3 months of this year. 

In the words of the Daily Mail "what planet are you on?"

You buy one but that's one sale. Not enough would buy one to keep a plant going and exports will be harder

If the current issues means that fewer SUVs are sold then that can only be a good thing.

Always preferred the x trail myself !

Ive never seen the fascination with cars myself,i just want one that gets me from A to B.I dont need any fancy extras.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You shouldn't have a problem getting one. Car sales have collapsed this year, they're down 93.7% apparently.

Just 4,321 cars were sold in April and the majority of those were fleet orders previously made - only 871 were private sales. Even worse only 197 cars were actually built and most of them were luxury cars just being finished off - no mass manufacture at all.

49 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Just 4,321 cars were sold in April and the majority of those were fleet orders previously made - only 871 were private sales. Even worse only 197 cars were actually built and most of them were luxury cars just being finished off - no mass manufacture at all.

That's opposed to 161,064 cars sold this time last year.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's opposed to 161,064 cars sold this time last year.

Looking forward to some cheap deals then.....

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Looking forward to some cheap deals then.....

Don't hold your breath Sparks, I've been looking for a car for 3 months now, the dealers aren't discounting at all in my experience.