4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Because they are very heavily in bed with China for trade etc...and one of the 27 would have vetoed us taking the people from Hong Kong.....I'm sure of that.

We decide.

You see you are fantasising bad things about the EU which don't exist

3 hours ago, philipl said:

You see you are fantasising bad things about the EU which don't exist

Leaving Italy to rot at the start of the Covid crisis was very real, criminal actually in my book.

Who would want to be a part of that gang?

Just now, Gav said:

Leaving Italy to rot at the start of the Covid crisis was very real, criminal actually in my book.

UK govt left care home to rot, who'd want to be part of that gang?

Just now, RoverDom said:

UK govt left care home to rot, who'd want to be part of that gang?

You can always move Dom, but its a little more difficult now depending on which paper you read.

Why is it that whenever anyone points out that being part of the EU isnt a bad idea, the comeback is always, 'You could always move there'? Why should I move to a country that's not my own? I speak French and German but I'm not French or German and dont want to be. I want to be British and European. I could have moved to France or Germany before Brexit reared its ugly head but I never wanted to. I still dont even if it were possible. The thing is, I dont have to want to live in my friends house to like it, enjoy a close relationship with my friend and yet enjoy our differences too. That's how i feel about the EU. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Why is it that whenever anyone points out that being part of the EU isnt a bad idea, the comeback is always, 'You could always move there'? Why should I move to a country that's not my own? I speak French and German but I'm not French or German and dont want to be. I want to be British and European. I could have moved to France or Germany before Brexit reared its ugly head but I never wanted to. I still dont even if it were possible. The thing is, I dont have to want to live in my friends house to like it, enjoy a close relationship with my friend and yet enjoy our differences too. That's how i feel about the EU. 

You read these pages as much as I do gumboots, I can name 3/4 regular posters that never have anything positive to say about the state of the country, its government or its people, yet they all love EU.

Why would anyone want to live in a place like that? Its a very genuine question gumboots.

If I felt that way about a country, town or city I'd move, I assume others would too, its a very easy decision to make in my eyes.

Edited by Gav

36 minutes ago, Gav said:

I do very much so.

And if you look at leaving people to rot, many examples are much closer to home in the UK>

44 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I want to be British and European. 

European? It isn't a country. But a group of countries that's works together as one economy unit in the world economy.

I am British

31 minutes ago, Gav said:

You read these pages as much as I do gumboots, I can name 3/4 regular posters that never have anything positive to say about the state of the country, its government or its people, yet they all love EU.

That’s a basic leaver trait Gav, none of that is true. 

Just now, den said:

That’s a basic leaver trait Gav, none of that is true. 

Do explain den?

35 minutes ago, Gav said:

Why would anyone want to live in a place like that? Its a very genuine question gumboots.

If I felt that way about a country, town or city I'd move, I assume others would too, its a very easy decision to make in my eyes.

Of course theres many positives to this country, it's a lovely place and decent standard of living but it's not without its faults. 

My main reasoning for pointing out the faults with the country (which I appreciate may come across as unbalanced) is that people will absolutely slate the EU but when you look at the reasons they give, the UK is no better but in some people eyes the UK is the best at everything and we dont need anyone else. 

That's exactly it. I love my husband to bits and have since the day I met him but hes not without his faults. There are things that other people do better than us. On the whole I prefer the British way of life but that doesn't mean I cant be critical of anything we do. The great thing about being part of a larger union of nations is that we compensate for one anothers weaknesses and draw on one anothers strengths. Now I'm not saying the EU does that in a perfect way. I'm not starry eyed about it at all, but that's the aim. 

33 minutes ago, Gav said:

Do explain den?

It’s straightforward Gav.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You posted that tripe a few weeks ago. Have you anything original, or more pertinent, something that is actually correct to say?

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

European? It isn't a country. But a group of countries that's works together as one economy unit in the world economy.

I am British

If that's all you see Europe as, I feel sorry for you.

29 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You posted that tripe a few weeks ago. Have you anything original, or more pertinent, something that is actually correct to say?

Its was true then and its true now, Ursula Von Der Leyen made a very public apology to the Italian people.

The news may not have reached North Blackburn yet, but give it time :tu:

54 minutes ago, den said:

It’s straightforward Gav.

Nothing you've posted on here today is in anyway straightforward den, in fact most of it is complete and utter bunkum with respect.

Calling chaddy names because he's proud to be English and British is quite frankly disgraceful, what are you thinking? 

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Blimey you come out with "bunkum" but this takes the biscuit.

No one "loves the EU" - its faults have been acknowledged - but as lovers of our own country we can see that leaving the single market is a huge mistake and has done will continue to cause tremendous economic upheaval and damage to the UK.

You've been living in the EU all your life, so why did you stay? It's a genuine question because you seem befuddled at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

My opinion,  at least that chance has now been taken away with the vote to leave. 

Brexiteers want to "control immigration" so do they square that with the arrival of up to 3m Hong Kongers ?

The UK agreed a deal with Switzerland to develop close financial services links between the 2 countries

Donkeys is too kind. There are other words to describe the negligence and incompetence of this government.

Someone, somewhere should take the government to court. 

This what Brexit looks like to others parts of the world

No photo description available.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3aza95/how-police-took-over-encrochat-hacked

French used Dutch technology.

From end of December this European collaboration ends because the corrupt British Government is essentially a criminal enterprise.

This is the biggest criminal roll up in British police history apparently. Over 700 arrests already including bent cops.

By the way Brexit talks ended a day early.

Brits discombobulated by 1,000 pages of detailed questions from the EU about the financial services arrangements UK wants after Brexit.

British answer essentially "we haven't thought about that."

Financial services are 80% by value of UK exports and are globally covered by EU trade agreements even though the European financial services single market hasn't been completed.

The funny thing is Brits led the EU efforts in many of these areas and the thoroughness with which our European interests were protected is now being used against the UK.