Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, philipl said:

British answer essentially "we haven't thought about that."

Who is reported this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, philipl said:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3aza95/how-police-took-over-encrochat-hacked

French used Dutch technology.

From end of December this European collaboration ends because the corrupt British Government is essentially a criminal enterprise.

This is the biggest criminal roll up in British police history apparently. Over 700 arrests already including bent cops.

By the way Brexit talks ended a day early.

Brits discombobulated by 1,000 pages of detailed questions from the EU about the financial services arrangements UK wants after Brexit.

British answer essentially "we haven't thought about that."

Financial services are 80% by value of UK exports and are globally covered by EU trade agreements even though the European financial services single market hasn't been completed.

The funny thing is Brits led the EU efforts in many of these areas and the thoroughness with which our European interests were protected is now being used against the UK.

I know she isn't the most popular MP but Diane Abbot Warned about the criminalsl before. notice the Date

A no-deal Brexit would seriously threaten our national security – by turning the UK into a safe haven for criminals

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-latest-diane-abbott-national-security-crime-deal-labour-theresa-may-conservative-a8599101.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How’s brexit going brexiteers?

A whole host of best ever deals lined up are there? 

Hows the frictionless trade with the EU going that you promised us?

Any of those promises flying into action yet?

How are we going to be better off?

Anything at all for us? 
 

Hopelessly mislead seems about right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.fb0cc8c84c2fa4c889e332dc598a3717.png

The countries whose citizens are likely to be highly educated and high skilled don't seem to be applying to stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, den said:

How’s brexit going brexiteers?

A whole host of best ever deals lined up are there? 

Hows the frictionless trade with the EU going that you promised us?

Any of those promises flying into action yet?

How are we going to be better off?

Anything at all for us? 
 

Hopelessly mislead seems about right.

 

Tell you in 5 years....👍😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Tell you in 5 years....👍😁

You don’t know what’s going to happen in the next 5 years - why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, den said:

You don’t know what’s going to happen in the next 5 years - why not?

If I did I'd be a multi millionaire.  Do you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If I did I'd be a multi millionaire.  Do you know?

I didn’t need to know because I knew what I voted for. 
I hoped you guys did but obviously you didn’t, which is what the argument was about.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Strong rumours that the EU are going to give ground on the fisheries.

I hope our fishermen get the deal they deserve, for far to long they’ve been treated extremely badly by the EU quota system.

Edited by Gav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh those poor unfairly treated fishermen - https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-fishers-fisherman-fisheries-fishing-eu-quotas-a9330216.html

 

Yet what is often overlooked is that, with some 4,700 active vessels, the British fleet is not only hugely diverse but also enormously profitable. Research for the European Commission reveals that in 2017, the UK fishing industry overall made a net profit of 26%, by some way the highest in Europe.

This is all the more astonishing given that 36% of the boats were only used part-time and had average landings of less than £10,000. Although 70% of the vessels in the fleet are under 12 metres in length and deploy only passive gear it’s clear that small scale doesn’t necessarily mean small profits.

But the real money is being made at the other end of the scale. Just 27 pelagic trawlers working from Scottish ports are responsible for half of the total weight of landings. There are 13 companies holding 60% of the UK’s quota, with a number of them foreign-owned by Dutch and Spanish interests among others.

The private ownership of rights to catch fish that are a public resource has come about not through the EU but as a result of British government policy over the decades. For fisheries management, it’s an approach that has some merit but it has also concentrated influence and generated huge wealth for a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gav said:

Strong rumours that the EU are going to give ground on the fisheries.

I hope our fishermen get the deal they deserve, for far to long they’ve been treated extremely badly by the EU quota system.

woopydoo.

Fishermen's Friend is about as big a business as fisheries are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following the detailed analysis by Leave Central yesterday showing Brexit has never been defined and Britain is heading to a huge mess, the Daily Telegraph today shows how Brexit almost certainly leads to Scottish independence and the end of the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Oh those poor unfairly treated fishermen - https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-fishers-fisherman-fisheries-fishing-eu-quotas-a9330216.html

 

Yet what is often overlooked is that, with some 4,700 active vessels, the British fleet is not only hugely diverse but also enormously profitable. Research for the European Commission reveals that in 2017, the UK fishing industry overall made a net profit of 26%, by some way the highest in Europe.

This is all the more astonishing given that 36% of the boats were only used part-time and had average landings of less than £10,000. Although 70% of the vessels in the fleet are under 12 metres in length and deploy only passive gear it’s clear that small scale doesn’t necessarily mean small profits.

But the real money is being made at the other end of the scale. Just 27 pelagic trawlers working from Scottish ports are responsible for half of the total weight of landings. There are 13 companies holding 60% of the UK’s quota, with a number of them foreign-owned by Dutch and Spanish interests among others.

The private ownership of rights to catch fish that are a public resource has come about not through the EU but as a result of British government policy over the decades. For fisheries management, it’s an approach that has some merit but it has also concentrated influence and generated huge wealth for a few.

I read somewhere that lots of the fish " our " boats catch is sold abroad.I wonder how that will pan out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.letsrecycle.com/news/latest-news/advocacy-groups-slam-eu-plastic-export-controls/

Shocking by the EU not to control plastic disposal across the continent.   

And the narrative has always been that our environmental credentials will be lower now we are out of the EU..😂...Good Riddance i say.

The EU has terrible environmental practises, we are much better away from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Oh those poor unfairly treated fishermen - https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-fishers-fisherman-fisheries-fishing-eu-quotas-a9330216.html

 

Yet what is often overlooked is that, with some 4,700 active vessels, the British fleet is not only hugely diverse but also enormously profitable. Research for the European Commission reveals that in 2017, the UK fishing industry overall made a net profit of 26%, by some way the highest in Europe.

This is all the more astonishing given that 36% of the boats were only used part-time and had average landings of less than £10,000. Although 70% of the vessels in the fleet are under 12 metres in length and deploy only passive gear it’s clear that small scale doesn’t necessarily mean small profits.

But the real money is being made at the other end of the scale. Just 27 pelagic trawlers working from Scottish ports are responsible for half of the total weight of landings. There are 13 companies holding 60% of the UK’s quota, with a number of them foreign-owned by Dutch and Spanish interests among others.

The private ownership of rights to catch fish that are a public resource has come about not through the EU but as a result of British government policy over the decades. For fisheries management, it’s an approach that has some merit but it has also concentrated influence and generated huge wealth for a few.

I've raised this issue a couple of times and I recall Jim has too. When the EU gets the blame for the demise of Hull and Grimsby and Fleetwood etc because of nasty bullying by cunning foreigners, most people have no idea that the companies holding the UK quota have sold the rights to fish to the highest bidder and that this has meant the biggest trawlers, often from other countries, have obliterated the industry in the coastal towns I mentioned and in many more.

The EU as usual gets the blame.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only we had a hard working, patriotic representative on the committee that decides fishing policy. Instead we had the racist, lazy con man Nigel Farage who turned up for one meeting out of something like 50. And all the brexiteers still think he and his party of IRA lovers and mad old women are great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the fuss over fishing when it's worth about 0.1% of UK GDP.? There's too much nationalist emotion by people who have no understanding of the industry or the issues, and other and more important sectors of the economy are under threat because of the Brexit scam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, philipl said:

woopydoo.

Fishermen's Friend is about as big a business as fisheries are.

Try telling that to the local fishing communities around the UK, an industry thats been decimated over the years by EU quotas and the common fisheries policy, communities destroyed.

Doesn't fit the narrative I know, a bit like EU members refusing to help Italy over Covid or take migrants the Maltese left to rot of the coast, but all are very relevant.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gav said:

Try telling that to the local fishing communities around the UK, an industry thats been decimated over the years by EU quotas and the common fisheries policy, communities destroyed.

Read my post above Gav and Jimbo's. Nothing like as simple as you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Why the fuss over fishing when it's worth about 0.1% of UK GDP.? There's too much nationalist emotion by people who have no understanding of the industry or the issues, and other and more important sectors of the economy are under threat because of the Brexit scam. 

I would hope that as a nation we will be able to eat more fish.  Its very expensive and with our quotas set to rise from 25% to 60% , it should be cheaper to the consumer. Once the areas are realigned,  we end up with a lot more.  Don't you like fish, Jim?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I would hope that as a nation we will be able to eat more fish.  Its very expensive and with our quotas set to rise from 25% to 60% , it should be cheaper to the consumer. Once the areas are realigned,  we end up with a lot more.  Don't you like fish, Jim?

 

 Love fish.

Two-thirds of the fish UK consumers eat are imported from overseas, and the costs of those would rise because of the trade barriers resulting from a hard Brexit.

The forecast fall in the price of UK fished in our waters would lead to a drop in earnings for UK fishermen.

So we lose both ways. Another reason why Brexit is economically illiterate

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Covid Brexit collision looks like it is going to be over business saying yes furloughed workers will be re-engaged if there is frictionless trade.

Meantime the German Presidency has advised the EU that it will look to negotiate a deal but the Union should continue preparations on the basis there won't be one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.