Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Ooooh! She's in for a sacking - Disloyalty will not be tolerated, as Bozo has shown us already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

 .The forecast fall in the price of UK fished in our waters would lead to a drop in earnings for UK fishermen.

I disagree.  My view is that it will boost the industry and a lot more will be sold within the UK, and we will benefit from cheaper prices at the supermarket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gav said:

Try telling that to the local fishing communities around the UK, an industry thats been decimated over the years by EU quotas and the common fisheries policy, communities destroyed.

 

Anger at the damage to the tiny fishing industry, yet massive brexit damage to the U.K. economy laughed off as project fear. Why?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I disagree.  My view is that it will boost the industry and a lot more will be sold within the UK, and we will benefit from cheaper prices at the supermarket. 

There would have to be a dramatic change in the types of fish eaten in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, philipl said:

There would have to be a dramatic change in the types of fish eaten in the UK.

Yes, but that can only be a plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, den said:

Anger at the damage to the tiny fishing industry, yet massive brexit damage to the U.K. economy laughed off as project fear. Why?

 

Can you tell me why people on the remain side see farming as a major stick to beat the leave side, we must protect it at all costs, but dismiss the fishing industry as an irrelevance, they often do it with a whole load of arrogance as philipl's post proves on this very subject.

The fishing industry is much smaller, around 30,000 people employed and its worth £1.5bn - but its the lifeblood for thousands of families around the country and should be celebrated, we're good at it, not dismissed by arrogant remainers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gav said:

Can you tell me why people on the remain side see farming as a major stick to beat the leave side, we must protect it at all costs, but dismiss the fishing industry as an irrelevance, they often do it with a whole load of arrogance as philipl's post proves on this very subject.

The fishing industry is much smaller, around 30,000 people employed and its worth £1.5bn - but its the lifeblood for thousands of families around the country and should be celebrated, we're good at it, not dismissed by arrogant remainers. 

 

Absolutely,  we are an island nation.  Iceland eat tonnes of the stuff because its cheap....

We shouldn't be paying the exorbitant prices that you see for fish these days....its nothing short of a scandal. 

Get the fishing grounds back and then the industry can develop into more than a small percentage of our GDP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Absolutely,  we are an island nation.  Iceland eat tonnes of the stuff because its cheap....

We shouldn't be paying the exorbitant prices that you see for fish these days....its nothing short of a scandal. 

Get the fishing grounds back and then the industry can develop into more than a small percentage of our GDP. 

You're missing the point. UK's fishing rights have effectively been privatised. They have been sold and then leased out to whoever offers the biggest bid.

So the fishing rights are in British hands but much of the actual fishing is performed by foreign trawlers in British waters. The EU gets the blame but the system has been hi-jacked as it has with rail. And little British trawlers rot in their home harbours.

Grimsby and the like haven't been let down by the EU, they've been let down by their own countrymen.

I keep saying this, no-one contradicts it but you and others keep making it a British v EU conflict which will be resolved by Brexit. 

In the main, European trawlers fish for varieties not popular in Britain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 The latest European Social Survey poll for the UK revealed 56.8% for Remain and only 34.9% for Leave. But of course Brexit is the "will of the people".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, but that can only be a plus

As someone who knows very little about fishing, do you know what is likely to change if we ate predominantly british caught fish? What fish would we see more / less of? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, philipl said:
 The latest European Social Survey poll for the UK revealed 56.8% for Remain and only 34.9% for Leave. But of course Brexit is the "will of the people".

I was at conference back in October and there was a session on brexit. Imo very balanced and well researched but unfortunately he never sent the slides out which I would have liked. 

Anyway there was a slide on voting - leave vs remain. The conclusion was that even if you assume no one has changed their mind, and just look at the change in demographic since the initial vote I.e. old people dying and teenagers now  being of voting age it puts the result as a very narrow remain win. 

If brexiters were so sure leaving was actually the will of the people they wouldnt have been so dead set against a second referendum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gav said:

Can you tell me why people on the remain side see farming as a major stick to beat the leave side, we must protect it at all costs, but dismiss the fishing industry as an irrelevance, they often do it with a whole load of arrogance as philipl's post proves on this very subject.

The fishing industry is much smaller, around 30,000 people employed and its worth £1.5bn - but its the lifeblood for thousands of families around the country and should be celebrated, we're good at it, not dismissed by arrogant remainers. 

 

Totally off the point.

nobody wants to see any thriving industry fail, especially those remainers who are very concerned about the UK’s economic welfare after brexit. It’s the brexiteers who are prepared to throw millions of jobs and billions of pounds down the drain - all because they have let their phobias and hatred of anything not English get the better of them.

If the fishing industry has sold off its fishing rights, well that was their choice. I would prefer that they hadn’t done of course.

you still haven’t explained why a tiny industry should be saved, yet you laugh off the huge economic jobs losses elsewhere? Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Absolutely,  we are an island nation.  Iceland eat tonnes of the stuff because its cheap....

We shouldn't be paying the exorbitant prices that you see for fish these days....its nothing short of a scandal. 

Get the fishing grounds back and then the industry can develop into more than a small percentage of our GDP. 

You didn't previous posts about the how the industry has been sold off.......like everything else we used to own.

Beats me why Brexiteers get dewy-eyed over fishing but are prepared to let the important parts the economy go under the Brexit bus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, den said:

Totally off the point.

nobody wants to see any thriving industry fail, especially those remainers who are very concerned about the UK’s economic welfare after brexit. It’s the brexiteers who are prepared to throw millions of jobs and billions of pounds down the drain - all because they have let their phobias and hatred of anything not English get the better of them.

If the fishing industry has sold off its fishing rights, well that was their choice. I would prefer that they hadn’t done of course.

you still haven’t explained why a tiny industry should be saved, yet you laugh off the huge economic jobs losses elsewhere? Why?

Den, wasn't it you who asked if anyone had anything positive to glean for Brexit, you couldn't find anything, I mentioned our fishing industry, which potentially could thrive again when unshackled from EU quotas, but thats now totally off point? On the brexit thread?

You ask why we should save a tiny industry, 30,000 people rely on fishing for work in the UK, its worth £1.5bn in its current form, to dismiss that is just poor, it really is. 

As for 'laughing off huge economic job losses elsewhere' - Are you sure that was me? I think you'll find I never said any such thing.

You also avoided the farming question, why save farming but not fishing?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

As someone who knows very little about fishing, do you know what is likely to change if we ate predominantly british caught fish? What fish would we see more / less of? 

You would think the price of cod would come down. Bloody expensive. You only have to Google and theres a host of produce available around the island.  Mackrel, Herring, Dover Sole, Coley.....I'm not an expert either but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that if there is more available,  it should be cheaper. We should eat more fish as a nation, so healthy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You would think the price of cod would come down. Bloody expensive. You only have to Google and theres a host of produce available around the island.  Mackrel, Herring, Dover Sole, Coley.....I'm not an expert either but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that if there is more available,  it should be cheaper. We should eat more fish as a nation, so healthy..

You really do need to some basic research as to why fish is expensive. It's all over the internet if you want to look. It's nothing to with the EU, BTW, so maybe that's why you can't be bothered? . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gav said:

Den, wasn't it you who asked if anyone had anything positive to glean for Brexit, you couldn't find anything, I mentioned our fishing industry, which potentially could thrive again when unshackled from EU quotas, but thats now totally off point? On the brexit thread?

You ask why we should save a tiny industry, 30,000 people rely on fishing for work in the UK, its worth £1.5bn in its current form, to dismiss that is just poor, it really is. 

As for 'laughing off huge economic job losses elsewhere' - Are you sure that was me? I think you'll find I never said any such thing.

You also avoided the farming question, why save farming but not fishing?

 

 

If you ARE concerned about job losses and the economic hit from brexit, why do you want to leave?

Ive been discussing the farming job losses with Chaddy recently which he accepts will happen.Trying to understand why he wants to leave as well.

Edited by den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, den said:

If you ARE concerned about job losses and the economic hit from brexit, why do you want to leave?

Ive been discussing the farming job losses with Chaddy recently which he accepts will happen.Trying to understand why he wants to leave as well.

I don't think I ever said I wanted to leave den.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You would think the price of cod would come down. Bloody expensive. You only have to Google and theres a host of produce available around the island.  Mackrel, Herring, Dover Sole, Coley.....I'm not an expert either but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that if there is more available,  it should be cheaper. We should eat more fish as a nation, so healthy..

Fish paella is good thing to make with cod. 

Eating more healthy would bring down obesity in the UK. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gav said:

Den, wasn't it you who asked if anyone had anything positive to glean for Brexit, you couldn't find anything, I mentioned our fishing industry, which potentially could thrive again when unshackled from EU quotas, but thats now totally off point? On the brexit thread?

You ask why we should save a tiny industry, 30,000 people rely on fishing for work in the UK, its worth £1.5bn in its current form, to dismiss that is just poor, it really is. 

As for 'laughing off huge economic job losses elsewhere' - Are you sure that was me? I think you'll find I never said any such thing.

You also avoided the farming question, why save farming but not fishing?

 

 

Things won't change unless we reform the system in or out of the EU----I'm talking about fishing rights. We could do that when we've left the EU but we could equally have reformed without leaving the EU.

Its an emotional argument that's been thrown in by Leavers to further dump on the EU regardless of the truth.

Like the £350M a week for the EU its a red herring!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You lot making me hungry - defo going down the chippy tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

You lot making me hungry - defo going down the chippy tonight.

Chippy Tea!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 47er said:

Things won't change unless we reform the system in or out of the EU----I'm talking about fishing rights. We could do that when we've left the EU but we could equally have reformed without leaving the EU.

Its an emotional argument that's been thrown in by Leavers to further dump on the EU regardless of the truth.

Like the £350M a week for the EU its a red herring!

You've more chance of reforming the system outside of the EU, thats the point, or it would have been done by now. The EU are holding on to the fishing rights because they know they've got a very good bargaining chip, the quotas and grounds are heavily biased towards Europe, no doubt about that.

I really don't think it is an emotional argument thrown in by leavers 47er either, its a very real industry that been decimated by EU quotas.

Farming fits the remain narrative, you'll argue night is day to protect farming but not fishing? and why? because the papers have split the country on this very topic with fake news and stories of chlorinated chicken/Trump etc.

Both industries are equally as important, but you'll not here many remainers supporting the fishermen as this thread proves, because you've all been conned into believing the industry being irrelevance, 30,000 jobs don't seem to matter, its supported by little Englanders, all absolute cr@p.

Support farming and the fishermen, thats the way forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.