18 minutes ago, Gav said:

Can you give me some guidelines on trade deals that are acceptable please? Just so I know for future reference?

I've mentioned the potential deal with Japan, which could also be very favourable to the UK car manufacturing industry, but thats been met with:

Whatabout the number of deals the Tories should have in place.........Whatabout it only being worth 0.07 of UK GDP  ........

If you can set out the rules I'll try not to waste anyone's time by mentioning deals that don't count :tu:

Asking remainers where we’ll get better trade deals? 😀

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Can you give me some guidelines on trade deals that are acceptable please? Just so I know for future reference?

I've mentioned the potential deal with Japan, which could also be very favourable to the UK car manufacturing industry, but thats been met with:

Whatabout the number of deals the Tories should have in place.........Whatabout it only being worth 0.07 of UK GDP  ........

If you can set out the rules I'll try not to waste anyone's time by mentioning deals that don't count :tu:

Desperate Gav. Just like the Government.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

I'm happy that we've got a deal lined up. If we start getting deals lined up that will soften the impact of leaving. However you can surely understand why people arent jumping for joy if the deal with Japan isnt as good as the trade deal we had through being a member of the EU?  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

I'm happy that we've got a deal lined up. If we start getting deals lined up that will soften the impact of leaving. However you can surely understand why people arent jumping for joy if the deal with Japan isnt as good as the trade deal we had through being a member of the EU?  

We need all the deals we can get at this stage, lets hope this if the first of many.

You don't have to jump for joy at the prospect, but just ignoring it tells its own story.

Edited by Gav

Hurrah, we got a deal!  Let's the flags out and celebrate, and hope it's the first of many. 

It's worse than the one we had before, and makes us worse off as a nation, but hey, it's a deal

A bad one. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Hurrah, we got a deal!  Let's the flags out and celebrate, and hope it's the first of many. 

It's worse than the one we had before, and makes us worse off as a nation, but hey, it's a deal

A bad one. 

Horse manure :P

We have no deal at the moment, having left EU, so by definition getting a deal cannot make us worse off, it makes us better off.

Just sayin...

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I lost my leg, I got a prosthetic one, I'm better off.

Tory logic. 

You lost your original posting name, you got a new one, welcome back :tu:

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Gav said:

You lost your original posting name, you got a new one, welcome back :tu:

I was waiting until you got personal. You're nothing if not very predictable. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

"Japan has insisted throughout that its new deal with the UK, with a population of 66m, could not be as good as the one it agreed with the EU ".  - FT

And the benefits of Brexit are precisely ? 

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Horse manure :P

We have no deal at the moment, having left EU, so by definition getting a deal cannot make us worse off, it makes us better off.

Just sayin...

Hardly the glowing future we were promised though?

Talks between Tokyo and London over a new trade deal have hit a snag after Liz Truss, UK trade secretary, insisted on bringing Stilton cheese into the negotiations.

https://www.ft.com/content/dbfff350-f404-4c10-96fc-64da55a8fb09

This is surreal.

Now, to be fair, when I said that Brexit had no benefits, I hugely underestimated the comedy gold that it would bring.

7 hours ago, Gav said:

We have no deal at the moment, having left EU, 

Just sayin...

We're still in the transition period. Just sayin'

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

And the benefits of Brexit are precisely ? 

I will post again something I have posted since 2015.

I have not seen a single argument for Brexit, politically or economically, that stands up to any scrutiny.

Not one argument posted in favour of Brexit has not been demolished.

Now they don't bother. Slinking off into airy fairy wishy washy nonsenses about getting on with it and making the most of a really bad mess.

I have- I am out of the UK and helping others to leave.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

I will post again something I have posted since 2015.

I have not seen a single argument for Brexit, politically or economically, that stands up to any scrutiny.

Not one argument posted in favour of Brexit has not been demolished.

Now they don't bother. Slinking off into airy fairy wishy washy nonsenses about getting on with it and making the most of a really bad mess.

I have- I am out of the UK and helping others to leave.

Genuine question, as I'm still not sure about this, but with you being a bean counter maybe you can give me an honest assessment.

One of the vote leave campaigns early gripes was around getting full sign off on the EU's accounts, not partial sign off where the ones who refused are bypassed, but full sign off on where EU members money was going.

Can you enlighten me on that philipl? 

On 17/06/2020 at 10:17, RoverDom said:

So errors are about 3% of the budget (2% materiality threshold is low I believe) and arise largely from the member states administering funds being unable to follow the over complex rules. The UK is one such country that has made errors, its not by the EU itself. A portion of these errors are also  recouped. Its estimated that actual fraud makes up about 0.2% and again a chunk of this relates to member states. This is I think in line with UK possibly slightly lower. 

The audting set up is similar to the UK. The National Audit Office is a parliamentary body. However dont let this make you think they do a slack job. When I get audited by the NAO it's far more rigorous and we're held to a higher standard than when regular audit firms come in. I cant remember where I read it as it was a while ago but the auditor general at the NAO said that of the 400 or 500 accounts he has to audit, he would qualify between 10 and 20. If he followed the same standards as the EU this would mean he would have to qualify the whole of the british governments accounts. So does the fact that the EU accounts are qualified year on year not imply their auditing is of a better standard than the UKs which you prefer? 

@Gav I'd had this discussion a few months ago, not sure if it answers your question. My assessment is that its not perfect but not criminal like it's made out. 

UK employment falls by biggest amount in over a decade

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53733440

I have a great idea - the UK should leave the world’s biggest and most successful economic trade zone.

That way we can sell more blue cheese to the Japanese and create more jobs.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Brits have gone from being the most respected globally in 2012 to a pitied risible laughing stock today.

From the paper that campaigned so hard for Brexit.... it is almost laughable

From meeting Brits living out in Spain they are terrified of a failure to come to an agreement over the EHIC card. If nothing is agreed lots of them will find living abroad untenable. A large percentage are older, retired people, with multiple health problems. Having to pay for all the medication and treatment they require will be prohibitive. Selling up and coming back to the UK also has a massive down side at the moment.

I've got no sympathy for folk who sell up and move abroad, then complain when the rules change and it all goes wrong. They're just permanently unhappy people 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I've got no sympathy for folk who sell up and move abroad, then complain when the rules change and it all goes wrong. They're just permanently unhappy people 

Bit harsh? If they can't afford medical treatment and can't sell their house to return to UK they face bankruptcy, poor health and bankruptcy---maybe all three.

Hardly their fault that UK left the EU----probably unthinkable when they moved out there. I'm guessing they were happy till that happened.

Just now, 47er said:

Bit harsh? If they can't afford medical treatment and can't sell their house to return to UK they face bankruptcy, poor health and bankruptcy---maybe all three.

Hardly their fault that UK left the EU----probably unthinkable when they moved out there. I'm guessing they were happy till that happened.

I met a family who bought property in Spain and we’re living 6 months in Spain, 6 months in the U.K. who voted for it.

”let’s get out” they said. I imagine they never dreamed they would be affected. Only the foreigners coming in.

7 minutes ago, den said:

I met a family who bought property in Spain and we’re living 6 months in Spain, 6 months in the U.K. who voted for it.

”let’s get out” they said. I imagine they never dreamed they would be affected. Only the foreigners coming in.

Well I'll make an exception for them Den! Sad that anyone could be that dumb! They'll just have to pay a monumental health insurance bill and lump it!

I have heard similar stories but would be a minority I assume!

47 minutes ago, den said:

I've got no sympathy for people who  voted for it and are now getting shafted by it. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Events dear boy - change is constant. Don't they read the right wing papers? The Brexit storm has been brewing for 30 years or more. Admittedly, the anti-EU mob never dreamt they would actually get a vote and win it (as Farage admitted) but as long as the Tories were in government leaving the EU with all its consequences was always a possibility. Those complaining are probably Tory voters too. You reap what you sow etc....