1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Swedish MEP Peter Lundgren warned Sweden and other EU member states could soon join Britain outside of the Brussels bloc as he lashed out at European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen at the State of the Union address. Speaking in the European Parliament, Mr Lundgren warned Swedish citizens wonder why they must continue to pay huge sums of money to the Brussels bloc whilst receiving no benefits in return. 

Said before more and more countries will want to come out after the UK have. Expect more referendums now. 

How much time have you spent in other European countries over the last 5 years. The majority of people I've spoken to, and it's a fair number, think were mad. There was one guy last week who I was talking to who thought it could be a decent idea for the UK but that's one of hundreds. I read the newspapers here in France and I can tell you that none of them are campaigning for a referendum. Brittany is farming country so fairly conservative but they're not even thinking of it.

6 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I read the newspapers here in France and I can tell you that none of them are campaigning for a referendum. 

It's still bubbling away in the background though, and emerges into the debate from time to time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-coronavirus-bring-back-frexit/amp

I mean their own finance minister has said this:

On 25 March, France’s economics and finance minister, Bruno Le Maire, warned that a European attitude of ‘every man for himself will lead to the disappearance of the eurozone’.

Yeah, probably just a bit of posturing to keep the EU on their toes, but despite all the polls going around of how popularity is up in Countries,  there's no denying there is still a lot of them considering options, or more importantly,  feeling a bit shafted by Brussels. 

And as economies tank over the next decade I suspect those feelings will grow. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

like I said before  you love the EU and they can't do nothing wrong, so what the point in debating it? 

But you will see other countries holding referendums to come out of the EU over the next 20 years

'Like I said before you hate the EU and they can't do anything right, so what's the point in debating it?'

Imagine someone saying it back to you, because that's what you sound like. Like a petulant child.

There's not a single person who doesn't think the EU has its faults, they obviously just disagree on whether it's better to move forward together or go it alone.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

How on earth will that happen without agreement from Westminster?

How on Earth did the Brexit referendum happen without agreement from the EU?

I know the processes are different, I'm just being facetious. But I do think it's hypocritical of us to make it difficult for Scotland to vote on such a thing if they want it.

Edited by Mike E

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How on Earth did the Brexit referendum happen without agreement from the EU?

I know the processes are different, I'm just being facetious. But I do think it's hypocritical of us to make it difficult for Scotland to vote on such a thing if they want it.

Not saying I disagree, but can you imagine a Tory PM/party saying yes to a potential break up of the union?

No chance.

19 minutes ago, Gav said:

Not saying I disagree, but can you imagine a Tory PM/party saying yes to a potential break up of the union?

No chance.

If it gave them (referring specifically to the current government rather than general Conservatives) more power over England and Wales, I actually think they would.

They're already putting the Union at risk re: Northern Ireland .

Edited by Mike E

3 hours ago, gumboots said:

How much time have you spent in other European countries over the last 5 years. The majority of people I've spoken to, and it's a fair number, think were mad. There was one guy last week who I was talking to who thought it could be a decent idea for the UK but that's one of hundreds. I read the newspapers here in France and I can tell you that none of them are campaigning for a referendum. Brittany is farming country so fairly conservative but they're not even thinking of it.

not at all as I have had more important priorities like buying a house and cos my missus needing a number of major operations meaning overseas trips have been a no, but now her health has been much better the last 12 months so we will start to look at Holidays next year. 

But My parents have been away all over Europe in the past 5 years and spoken number of people who are in favour the EU and not. around 50/50. They have been to Belgium, Holland, France(Paris, Lille, Marseille), Spain, Portugal and Italy. Speak to alot of people over that time they have. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Many will moan about different bits of EU. I do so myself and so do most on here. But the overall impression I've got is that, weighing it up, most people think we're crackers to be leaving.

6 hours ago, Gav said:

No chance.

It will happen whether the Tories want it or not. Just as Ireland will be unified again.

In the end these processes become impossible to hold back---like the sea.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

not at all as I have had more important priorities like buying a house and cos my missus needing a number of major operations meaning overseas trips have been a no, but now her health has been much better the last 12 months so we will start to look at Holidays next year. 

But My parents have been away all over Europe in the past 5 years and spoken number of people who are in favour the EU and not. around 50/50. They have been to Belgium, Holland, France(Paris, Lille, Marseille), Spain, Portugal and Italy. Speak to alot of people over that time they have. 

Did they ever find that foreign truck driver who infected you? 

Joe Biden warns no US-UK trade deal if GFA is broken.

It's all going swimmingly

Tweet

See new Tweets

Tweet

hHLf-P8l_bigger.jpg

We can’t allow the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland to become a casualty of Brexit. Any trade deal between the U.S. and U.K. must be contingent upon respect for the Agreement and preventing the return of a hard border. Period.
Quote Tweet

vM6Slb6a_normal.jpg

House Foreign Affairs Committee

@HouseForeign
· 15 Sep
Chair @RepEliotEngel leads bipartisan effort calling on UK to honor Good Friday Agreement while negotiating Brexit. In a letter to @BorisJohnson, they warned that Congress will not support a

🇺🇸
-

🇬🇧
free trade agreement if Britain fails to uphold commitments with Northern Ireland.
Show this thread

biden.html

Edited by jim mk2

A short reminder of Johnson and Ireland and what a lying unprincipled shit he is.

As Foreign Minister, he was part of the team that negotiated the May Deal.

The May Deal included a back stop of an Irish Sea Customs Border if EU/UK divergence after five years meant the open Irish border required by the Good Friday Agreement was no longer viable.

Johnson resigned as Foreign Secretary and voted twice against the May Deal

On the third vote on the May Deal, he voted for it

He became PM and got the Boris Deal which moved the contingent Irish Sea Border Backstop to a required immediate Irish Sea Border frontstop.

He wins General Election campaigning for the oven ready Boris Deal.

The Boris Deal passed into UK law and the Withdrawal Agreement became an international treaty governing the UK departure from the EU on 31 January

Just seven months later Johnson claims the Boris Deal was rubbish.

Johnson proposes legislation to break international law and gets his Northern Ireland Secretary to state explicitly that it breaks international law in removing the Irish Sea customs border.

Absolutely nothing is proposed by Johnson to respect the sovereignty of the UK in maintaining its external borders.

This Government is a ridiculously sick joke.

Who wanted Brexit? Who has been in power all the time since 24 June 2016 to plan for it?

Logistics UK says it learned today that the Smart Freight System being developed by the government for handling cross-border trade won’t be ready for Jan Policy director Elizabeth de Jong says it’s a “crushing disappointment and “a massive blow to UK businesses and the economy”

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Joe Biden warns no US-UK trade deal if GFA is broken.

It's all going swimmingl

I thought you didn't want a US trade deal, selling off NHS and chlorinated chicken, remember that :rock:

1 hour ago, philipl said:

This Government is a ridiculously sick joke.

Who wanted Brexit? Who has been in power all the time since 24 June 2016 to plan for it?

Logistics UK says it learned today that the Smart Freight System being developed by the government for handling cross-border trade won’t be ready for Jan Policy director Elizabeth de Jong says it’s a “crushing disappointment and “a massive blow to UK businesses and the economy”

Anybody involved in the logistics system in the UK should be getting pretty worried by now.

IF we set a precedent of reneging on an international treaty, what's to stop Scotland from simply reneging on their Union with England Act?

No referendum needed, just break their treaty 'in a specific and limited way'.

Hey Brexit supporters, here's your latest U-turn for you to get in line with from your pin-up boy.

But, seriously

This isn’t just risible dangerous fundamentalism. The U.K. with no trade deal with either of its two largest partners would be extremely badly damaged. Reckless idiot.

wKk5lnls_normal.jpg

John Redwood

Trade deals are nice to have but not essential. We didn't have a trade deal with the USA when in the EU. Getting back full control of our laws, our money and our borders is essential.

The Johnson retreat continues after upsetting everybody everywhere because he was too lazy to think.

Now we are told that the arbitration process would be used as provided for in the Withdrawal Agreement so there is no need to break the law. 

That nasty clause 45 giving the Government unlimited powers still needs to go though.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

We now know Johnson should have answered "No"

I haven't got a clue and i don't give a monkeys.

Tory voter quotes Tory propaganda sheet. Good to see members embracing diverse range of views