The EU signalled to the UK last Monday they were going to submit some new proposals early this week.

Watch Johnson sucker people by saying "look- UK walked away and the EU blinked."

11 hours ago, 47er said:

And the French fishermen will block Calais harbour if they are kept out of British waters. Imagine what that will do.

Dramatically more subtle and effective than that.

Quite simply nobody in their right mind will chose the UK over France for setting up a new business especially in technology and finance if they have the choice.

Doing professional business in France as a Brit will be all but impossible without being physically in France.

When post Covid aviation recovers, it will go to CDG rather than LHR.

And so on.

@philipl

Pretty good is James O’Brien.

“The best we can hope for is some flimsy hopeless deal that the great British press and the PM can sell to the public”

Hes right isn’t he leavers? There’s no way we will get anything close to what we had. 

Peston....

In the EU, they still expect and hope for a deal. And if there isn't one, it's because - they think - the PM will have worked out that there will be massive disruption to UK trade and a hit to the economy even if there is a deal, and it may be better politics for Johnson to blame the EU for that economic damage rather than concede that leaving the single market was always going to bring costs.

2 hours ago, den said:

Peston....

In the EU, they still expect and hope for a deal. And if there isn't one, it's because - they think - the PM will have worked out that there will be massive disruption to UK trade and a hit to the economy even if there is a deal, and it may be better politics for Johnson to blame the EU for that economic damage rather than concede that leaving the single market was always going to bring costs.

The original deal outside the customs union and single market was going to cost 5% of GDP. With all the faffing about to make it a super skinny deal it will probably lose the economy 6%.

No deal Brexit is an expected 8% loss.

So Peston has a point.

The UK has 48% of its exports at stake. The EU 27 have 6% of their's.

The worst affected country in the EU is Ireland with 10% of GDP at stake followed by Belgium and the Netherlands with 8%.

Other countries over the EU average are Denmark, Spain and France.

British Passports.

Made by a Franco🇨🇵-Dutch🇳🇱 company in Poland🇲🇹, using Italian🇮🇹 software to print Spanish🇪🇦 ink on Finnish🇫🇮 paper.

This tender beat a British🇬🇧 company that is now bankrupt.

A fine metaphor for Brexit. A fantastic advert for EU🇪🇺 cooperation, and a stark warning for post-Brexit Britain when we have to pay tariffs on our own passports...

I have never known such a cavalier irresponsible Government ever.

Brexit talks are unilaterally suspended by the UK for the time being.

Meantime as frequently happened during 47 years of EU membership (not), Tescos have warned there will be interruptions to supplies of fresh foods and the British pharmaceuticals Association have said their members cannot assure supply of medications and general wellness supplies.

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

British Passports.

Made by a Franco🇨🇵-Dutch🇳🇱 company in Poland🇲🇹, using Italian🇮🇹 software to print Spanish🇪🇦 ink on Finnish🇫🇮 paper.

This tender beat a British🇬🇧 company that is now bankrupt.

A fine metaphor for Brexit. A fantastic advert for EU🇪🇺 cooperation, and a stark warning for post-Brexit Britain when we have to pay tariffs on our own passports...

My step son got a new blue one the other day. I was expecting a quality product after all the chest beating about taking back control. The new ones look cheap and nasty, no way will they last 10 years of normal usage.

Latest opinion poll

Rejoin 57%

Stay out 35%

Others are voting with their feet. Percentage drop in EU medics and nurses applying to work in the UK

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Latest opinion poll

Rejoin 57%

Stay out 35%

Others are voting with their feet. Percentage drop in EU medics and nurses applying to work in the UK

its always sad when people wake up too late.....

Bloomberg story repeats what I said a few days ago - Johnson and his right wing cheerleaders in the press will claim victory even if the deal stuffs the UK like Christmas turkeys

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Bloomberg story repeats what I said a few days ago - Johnson and his right wing cheerleaders in the press will claim victory even if the deal stuffs the UK like Christmas turkeys

It doesn't matter what they say - it's going to be chaos in January.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It doesn't matter what they say - it's going to be chaos in January.

It will be difficult for Gove to turn it into a success but he'll have a go!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/19/the-horrors-of-covid-swapped-for-those-of-an-hour-with-michael-gove

Sorry, looks like this article is locked. If you can be bothered looking it up, its very funny.

Edited by 47er

4 hours ago, 47er said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/19/the-horrors-of-covid-swapped-for-those-of-an-hour-with-michael-gove

Sorry, looks like this article is locked. If you can be bothered looking it up, its very funny.

Problem is, it's not that funny because it's all too true. 

What a shambles. 

I've banged on for years about Goves incompetence and nastiness because he was useless, nasty and patronising when he was Education Minister

7 hours ago, 47er said:

It's worth buying " The Guardian " just for John Crace alone. He usually has me laughing out loud most mornings.

3 hours ago, gumboots said:

I've banged on for years about Goves incompetence and nastiness because he was useless, nasty and patronising when he was Education Minister

I don't think there is one teacher out there that would argue with you. He was absolutely universally despised.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think there is one teacher out there that would argue with you. He was absolutely universally despised.

Couldn’t agree more.

Very much in the same vein as Jeremy Hunt. It makes me sick the amount of good press that cretin is getting currently, he was an absolute disaster as health minister, useless, dangerous, a divisive moron.