BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joey Barton

Looks like his Rangers days are numbered making him a free agent (unless found guilty of the betting charges). Sign him up if not; the Club is owned and managed by loose cannons. Let's have one on the pitch. At least we will have some entertainment! 😎

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piece of ****. I don't usually get romantic or idealistic about football. Diouf, Todd, Neill, I'll cheer them from the rafters if they're doing the business for us.

But this guy, he's an absolute animal, should be locked up. The public's perception of him softening because he quotes philosophers on his tweeter feed is very regrettable.

Complete spanner whose best days are behind him. Hiring him would only lead to trouble, as his arrogant, violent and bone headed behaviour will lead to tears. Funny how Ched Evans gets drunk with a woman and has sex he's a villain who should not be signed, yet Joey sticks a cigar in someone's eye, beats up someone in McDonald's and so on and he's a viable transfer.

• 6 months later...
  • Backroom

Nice 18 month ban for this idiot.

The worst of it is the bloke sees himself as intelligent and swears he never did anything that could influence a game.

Yet he placed bets backing him to score first and laying against his striker scoring first - to the total of £8! 

• Backroom

I'm not sure how well his "it's not my fault I placed over a thousand bets even though I knew it was against the rules, la, I'm the victim" argument is going to stand up in an appeal... 

He makes a salient point though about how much online gambling is involved in sponsorship of football. The FA have Ladbrokes as one of it's main sponsors. And one of the the aims of sponsorship is to get people to use the sponsors products.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pretty harsh ban I reckon. Every football show is sponsored by some advertising company so the Premier league and FAs pious approach sits uneasily with me. Hypocritical. 

Does anyone know how Barton got caught? 

How is betting on something you're involved not worthy of such ban? His stuff about being addicted is purely to get him off the hook. Betting on his own team to lose, the guy shouldn't play football again imo.

He's spot on about the massive hypocrisy of the football authorities when it comes to the gaming industry. Other than that, he's got his just reward. If only the FA/Premier League etc put as much effort into investigating the massive corruption that goes on with agents, owners etc.........

Just now, Biz said:

How is betting on something you're involved not worthy of such ban? His stuff about being addicted is purely to get him off the hook. Betting on his own team to lose, the guy shouldn't play football again imo.

Ya, that was stupid, but he was betting on games he wasn't playing in. 18 months is harsh.

Maybe he is addicted, how do you know he isn't? It is an very tempting pastime for footballers. They finish training in the afternoon ,giving them plenty of hours to burn. if they don't have partners or families, then the combination of that with bag loads of cash can easily lead to gambling. I would imagine a lot more footballers are doing it than Joe Barton. 

I do the pools the odd weekend, but some of my friends are very bad on it. The way it is shoved in peoples, particularly mens, faces is outrageous. We will look back on this in future like Cigarette advertising if you ask me. 

Pretty harsh ban I reckon. Every football show is sponsored by some advertising company so the Premier league and FAs pious approach sits uneasily with me. Hypocritical. 

I read that Betfair his online bookie reported him and his account details to the FA. Not good imo.

As long as not betting on the team(s) that he is directly linked with I see nothing wrong.

The FA are a money making profit centre who know that Barton will just be replaced by another player punter.

Their prosecuting Moyes for easy money says it all.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I read that Betfair his online bookie reported him and his account details to the FA. Not good imo.

As long as not betting on the team(s) that he is directly linked with I see nothing wrong.

The FA are a money making profit centre who know that Barton will just be replaced by another player punter.

Their prosecuting Moyles for easy money says it all.

All True,

Barton was arguably Burnleys best player the year they won promotion and is performing well this season. He said he only bet against his team when he was dropped and because he was angry. He's a little toerag, but I don't take the point that "he bet against his own team" like he was doing something against them. He did it because he was sore he wasn't playing and actually wanted to contribute to the cause. I would take the little gurrier in our midfield all day. 

All True,

Barton was arguably Burnleys best player the year they won promotion and is performing well this season. He said he only bet against his team when he was dropped and because he was angry. He's a little toerag, but I don't take the point that "he bet against his own team" like he was doing something against them. He did it because he was sore he wasn't playing and actually wanted to contribute to the cause. I would take the little gurrier in our midfield all day. 

If we had him this season we would be safe.

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He makes a salient point though about how much online gambling is involved in sponsorship of football. The FA have Ladbrokes as one of it's main sponsors. And one of the the aims of sponsorship is to get people to use the sponsors products.

I do agree. It is a salient point. However, the function of his comment-like many others in his statement-is to distance himself from personal responsibility.

A certain football chant seems relevant here..."Always the victim, it's never your fault!"

• Backroom
40 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Allegedly, Dyche turfed him in himself, after he found out Barton had bet that Burnley wouldn't win away all season ;)

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, that was stupid, but he was betting on games he wasn't playing in. 18 months is harsh.

Maybe he is addicted, how do you know he isn't? It is an very tempting pastime for footballers. They finish training in the afternoon ,giving them plenty of hours to burn. if they don't have partners or families, then the combination of that with bag loads of cash can easily lead to gambling. I would imagine a lot more footballers are doing it than Joe Barton. 

I do the pools the odd weekend, but some of my friends are very bad on it. The way it is shoved in peoples, particularly mens, faces is outrageous. We will look back on this in future like Cigarette advertising if you ask me. 

He put bets on teams he played for, to lose. In the match squad or not, that is the absolute pits for a "professional role model". Can't justify it, if he had a problem, why does it come out after the ban.... because it's designed to take the heat off him.

Being addicted to gambling is understandable for footballers but there is plenty of sports to bet on. There's no way it can be avoided as a conflict of interest, even to someone as stupid and arrogant as Joey Barton.

The discussion on gambling advertisement is another entirely, how the chief news firm (sky) for sport can have their own betting company is  a complete joke.

Archived