BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

So Andy Murray now number 1 ranked player in the world after beating Djokovic in the ATP final.

My question is, is Djokovic on the slide or just having a bad spell? Or is Murray now the best tennis player on the planet?

Officially he is,

is that not good enough ?

Good enough for me, was just curious on other people's thoughts. I love a bit of tennis but wouldn't consider myself an expert.

Hope that's ok with you, yoda?

Good enough for me, was just curious on other people's thoughts. I love a bit of tennis but wouldn't consider myself an expert.

Hope that's ok with you, yoda?

No problem here, that's one of the problems with just typing on an MB, it sometimes looks a bit sharp :)

English hating sweatie turd.

Murray is arguably the greatest British Sportsman of all time.

You on the other hand continue to show yourself to be the thickest member of a internet forum, who deserves zero respect whatsoever.

You even misspelt "sweaty" for heaven's sake.

Congrats to Murray, an absolute warrior of an athlete and will deservedly go down in history as an all time great of the sport.

Maybe it's just that Novak has peaked and now flattened out a bit whilst Murray has just reached his peak. As with most individual sports a lot of it is down to timing. Plus the psychological edge is now with Murray after beating him a few times he's now finally got Djokovic's number

Edited by tomphil

English hating sweatie turd.

Interesting outlook that mate. Moments after winning Wimbledon this year, he name checked David Cameron, despite Nicola Sturgeon sitting just behind the PM.

Went down well in Scotland did that.........

As someone else said, he is arguably Britain's greatest ever athlete/sportsman. What he has achieved is phenomenal, and whether you like tennis or not you cannot help but admire him, surely?

A huge shout out to Novak Djokovic as well - he is a class act.

• Like 4

Maybe it's just that Novak has peaked and now flattened out a bit whilst Murray has just reached his peak. As with most individual sports a lot of it is down to timing. Plus the psychological edge is now with Murray after beating him a few times he's now finally got Djokovic's number

I think Novak admitted that he lost a little motivation after he won in Paris, thus completing a career slam. I still expect he's got another three or four slams in him, and should finish his career as second in the all time rankings behind Federer. Whether or not he'll be remembered as the second best player of all time is another argument entirely...

• Like 1

Interesting outlook that mate. Moments after winning Wimbledon this year, he name checked David Cameron, despite Nicola Sturgeon sitting just behind the PM.

Went down well in Scotland did that.........

As someone else said, he is arguably Britain's greatest ever athlete/sportsman. What he has achieved is phenomenal, and whether you like tennis or not you cannot help but admire him, surely?

A huge shout out to Novak Djokovic as well - he is a class act.

Murray arguably used some hate language against the English when he was a young man which he now says was a joke . I'm willing to forgive him on that one as he's apologised and regrets it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/my-regrets-over-england-joke-by-andy-murray-8142475.html

If there was a top tennis match taking place in my back garden , I'd shut the curtains , but all credit to Murray , he is a great British sportsman as well as a proud Scot , and I hope he sees himself as both.

I hate tennis. Wimbledon fortnight is a good time to book a holiday abroad. They say that golf is a sport for the rich but tennis is more so with the personal coaches etc. for anyone who wants to succeed. Also Murray IS an English hating sweaty turd.

If there was a top tennis match taking place in my back garden , I'd shut the curtains , but all credit to Murray , he is a great British sportsman as well as a proud Scot , and I hope he sees himself as both.

I'm pretty sure he does - Exhibit A - The Olympics (twice). Exhibit B - The Davis Cup

I hate tennis. Wimbledon fortnight is a good time to book a holiday abroad. They say that golf is a sport for the rich but tennis is more so with the personal coaches etc. for anyone who wants to succeed. Also Murray IS an English hating sweaty turd.

If you are working class/poor it is easier to get a game of tennis than it is to get a round of golf, generally speaking Al.

Edited by oldjamfan1

So Andy Murray now number 1 ranked player in the world after beating Djokovic in the ATP final.

My question is, is Djokovic on the slide or just having a bad spell? Or is Murray now the best tennis player on the planet?

Not quite sure how your answer really addresses the question Al? If you don't like tennis, why on earth did you click on "the tennis thread?"

Not one single person here, or possibly in the entire world, could care less whether or not you like tennis.

It would be interesting to see whether there is any actual evidence to support your gut feeling there Al.

There isn't. Djokovic himself is from a working class family, and his parents ran a small fast food parlour in Belgrade.

Despite having an apparent hatred for tennis, Al seems to want to paint the picture that he has a great knowledge of what is required to become a professional tennis player.

Funny that...

• Backroom

Titles are what matters. In a little over 4 years, Murray has won 2 Gold medals and 2 Wimbledons, which is a genuinely phenomenal haul on top of officially becoming the World's Best. He's everything Henman wasn't!

• Like 1

Wimbledon fortnight used to bug me no end when it interfered with watching Test cricket on TV ,in the days when the BBC covered both . At school the neighbouring convent school had some tennis courts. When we were in the 6th Form and allowed out of the school gates , we used to pretend to like it so we could get a couple of games with the girls . Happy days !

Titles are what matters. In a little over 4 years, Murray has won 2 Gold medals and 2 Wimbledons, which is a genuinely phenomenal haul on top of officially becoming the World's Best. He's everything Henman wasn't!

He also won the U.S. Open in 2012

They say that golf is a sport for the rich but tennis is more so with the personal coaches etc. for anyone who wants to succeed.

Whether this is 100% accurate or not I couldn't say. What is, I believe, true is in any professional sport where clubs are not prepared or able to fund youngsters success largely depends on the family's ability to fund their child's efforts. It isn't only tennis where this is an issue. Golf would probably be similar.

It's also worth considering the life long benefit of a good grounding in a very social sport.

Edited by Paul

Djokovic is a marginally better player, but has lost form after nearly holding all 4 slams at once earlier this year. Murray has ended the year well, and has played every week over the last couple of months whilst Djokovic has missed a few.

However Murray is a brilliant player, in probably the hardest single player sport.

As for the English hating, well he lives in Surrey with his English wife - so it's obviously not that much of a hatred.

Not quite sure how your answer really addresses the question Al? If you don't like tennis, why on earth did you click on "the tennis thread?"

Not one single person here, or possibly in the entire world, could care less whether or not you like tennis.

Then why did you quote it?

It would be interesting to see whether there is any actual evidence to support your gut feeling there Al.

I'm not going to research it but it appears that all the tennis pros are rich kids with paid coaches.

Whether this is 100% accurate or not I couldn't say. What is, I believe, true is in any professional sport where clubs are not prepared or able to fund youngsters success largely depends on the family's ability to fund their child's efforts. It isn't only tennis where this is an issue. Golf would probably be similar.

No it isn't. My son was assistant at a golf club and paid for it. As it happens he was one shot short of making the grade for turning pro but that was his problem, not the sport's.

Then why did you quote it?

I'm not going to research it but it appears that all the tennis pros are rich kids with paid coaches.

Andy Murray wasn't a "rich kid" but he had very supportive parents (mother). The days when our backstreets produced top-class footballers and cricketers are long gone and the best players in most sports these days have usually had huge parental backing. This doesn't necessarily mean they have money but they certainly have in most cases made sacrifices so their offspring can prosper.

Andy Murray reaching world No 1 in a sport where we have been traditionally no-hopers is a fantastic achievement and should be celebrated.

Murray arguably used some hate language against the English when he was a young man which he now says was a joke . I'm willing to forgive him on that one as he's apologised and regrets it.

He didn't use any hate language. He was bantering with some journos who were taking the mick out of him for Scotland not being in the 2010 WC. As part of this he said he was up for Anyone But England. This is an oft used Joke which does not in any way imply a hatred of England. It's a sad reflection of how thin skinned and pathetic people are nowadays if they take offence at that.

• Like 2