BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Andy Murray wasn't a "rich kid" but he had very supportive parents (mother). The days when our backstreets produced top-class footballers and cricketers are long gone and the best players in most sports these days have usually had huge parental backing. This doesn't necessarily mean they have money but they certainly have in most cases made sacrifices so their offspring can prosper.

Andy Murray reaching world No 1 in a sport where we have been traditionally no-hopers is a fantastic achievement and should be celebrated.

The parents can't be short of a bob or two to employ a tennis coach for two sons. It's a really boring game with the server having a huge advantage all the time.

Murray arguably used some hate language against the English when he was a young man which he now says was a joke . I'm willing to forgive him on that one as he's apologised and regrets it.

He didn't use any hate language. He was bantering with some journos who were taking the mick out of him for Scotland not being in the 2010 WC. As part of this he said he was up for Anyone But England. This is an oft used Joke which does not in any way imply a hatred of England. It's a sad reflection of how thin skinned and pathetic people are nowadays if they take offence at that.

Across the board I'am afraid, It's almost impossible to crack a joke these days without some luvvies getting their underwear in a twist

• Like 1

The parents can't be short of a bob or two to employ a tennis coach for two sons. It's a really boring game with the server having a huge advantage all the time.

Yeah, we get it. You don't like tennis. Alot of people consider golf boring too. Now why don't you go away and let us celebrate a world champion?

• Like 3

No it isn't. My son was assistant at a golf club and paid for it. As it happens he was one shot short of making the grade for turning pro but that was his problem, not the sport's.

Al please note my use of the word "largely." - on the whole, mostly etc. There will always be exceptions.

Judy Murray is a professional tennis coach.

Then why did you quote it?

I'm not going to research it but it appears that all the tennis pros are rich kids with paid coaches.

"I'm not going to research it but..."

Yeah, why would you ever need knowledge to form an opinion? Carry on being ignorant. Funnily enough, a couple of those who spend time on the Brexit thread suggesting they aren't racist have thrown out a casually xenophobic insult against a Scottish bloke.

"I'm not racist, but..."

• Like 1

Yeah, why would you ever need knowledge to form an opinion? Carry on being ignorant. Funnily enough, a couple of those who spend time on the Brexit thread suggesting they aren't racist have thrown out a casually xenophobic insult against a Scottish bloke.

"I'm not racist, but..."

I must have missed those, can you cut and paste ?

I must have missed those, can you cut and paste ?

With all due respect (which is very little), I won't be scrolling through 152 pages just to find a couple of quotes to appease you.

None of Federer, Nadal, Murray or Djokovic are considered "big servers."

Just how little do you know about this sport you've spent half your day pontificating about on here?

With all due respect (which is very little), I won't be scrolling through 152 pages just to find a couple of quotes to appease you.

Just how little do you know about this sport you've spent half your day pontificating about on here?

As I thought,

Bullstien

I hate tennis. Wimbledon fortnight is a good time to book a holiday abroad. They say that golf is a sport for the rich but tennis is more so with the personal coaches etc. for anyone who wants to succeed. Also Murray IS an English hating sweaty turd.

Daft post, I look forward to the all England club every year. It's typical of the British to moan about how poor we are at a particular sport then chuck brickbats at someone who excels and achieves world status. Incredible ignorance really.

Andy Murray has earned ALL the plaudits fair and square, a genuine, hard working dedicated proffessional. Fantastic son and ignore the bitters.

• Like 3

Daft post, I look forward to the all England club every year. It's typical of the British to moan about how poor we are at a particular sport then chuck brickbats at someone who excels and achieves world status. Incredible ignorance really.

Andy Murray has earned ALL the plaudits fair and square, a genuine, hard working dedicated proffessional. Fantastic son and ignore the bitters.

Some people much prefer 'Tiger' Tim, because he was very nice whilst being rubbish, oh and cos he's a nice Home Counties type.

• Like 1

Yeah, we get it. You don't like tennis. Alot of people consider golf boring too. Now why don't you go away and let us celebrate a world champion?

Do you know Jim that there are many posters on this forum who fondly wish that you would just go away and give us all something to celebrate!

"I'm not racist, but..."

Is Scottish a race? I consider them the same race as me.

I've played it when I was younger. It's watching the professional sport that is boring.

• Like 1

Love the sport and love Murray. Deep down I still think that Djokovic is a better player and will beat him more times than not (Sunday was his, what, fourth win against him since 2013?) but that makes Murray's ascent to #1 all the more remarkable. It's impossible to fluke that achievement - Stan has a grand slam this year and still has fewer than half the points of Murray and Djokovic - so you can't just have a good fortnight or two and top the rankings.

Fair enough viewpoint Al on the advantage of serving - but I think that's one of the intriguing elements of the sport. Breaking is so important (Murray and Djokovic both break more than a third of the time too, which is ridiculous). Similar to the impact of weather conditions and pitches Test Cricket - I tend to find sport more interesting when there is some sort of "advantage" to battle against. Not always the case, of course - it works against F1.

• Like 1

Is Scottish a race? I consider them the same race as me.

So you consider yourself a "sweaty sock?"

You've proven nothing in this thread other than your lack of knowledge about tennis and your casual xenophobia towards Scots.

As I thought,

Bullstien

If you read the original Brexit thread and didn't see what I'm referring to, then go back and read it. It's all there in black and white. It might take a wee while, and certainly more than I'd be willing to waste on the likes of yourself mate. This messageboard in recent years has become unbearable due to the likes of you and Abbey, and judging by a lot of your comments in the more political threads on here, so has the country.

Edited by Batman.

You've proven nothing in this thread other than your lack of knowledge about tennis and your casual xenophobia towards Scots.

I've proven that I've touched a nerve in your case. :D I've nothing against Scots unless they openly say they hate the English. It's no good to apologise later.

I have no lack of knowledge about tennis, just a dislike of watching the professional sport. Are you a Scot by any chance?

• Like 1

If you read the original Brexit thread and didn't see what I'm referring to, then go back and read it. It's all there in black and white. It might take a wee while, and certainly more than I'd be willing to waste on the likes of yourself mate. This messageboard in recent years has become unbearable due to the likes of you and Abbey, and judging by a lot of your comments in the more political threads on here, so has the country.

What's all this recent years nonsense ? you have only been a member since 05 Feb 2011

If you don't like it, don't respond, or leave.

Edited by yoda
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, wolfie said:

Jo Konta through to the semis, knocking out the number 2 seed.

Brilliant game of tennis too.

Yes, I was very surprised at the pace and power from the ladies. Good player Konta. First time I've watched her.

56 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Konta done do well to get to the semi finals and I really hope she wins it but like Batman I have a feeling that Venus's experience and power hitting might just give her the edge. 

that's certainly what the experts were suggesting last night on the beeb highlights show