BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Enders (Knob) V Mighty Rovers

tomphil

I am doing the corporate with a group of Preston fans in the Invincibles lounge, The brother in law organised it so regardless of performance or result hoping for a good day out. The 5-3 win at Deepdale in 1967 was my first away game, Barrie Hole scored a couple and it was very foggy.

That's where I could have gone .

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Preston have given the Rovers match ticket buying home fans a chance of priority for Arsenal tickets in the cup game. Shouuld boost the home turnout quite a bit and that's the second good idea they've had in a week.

Meanwhile after 6 years we are still waiting for one good idea from our lot !

Not counting keep ST prices down because that has been borne out of desperation not goodwill.

At the end of the day there's no incentive from our lot to do such things. There's nobody responsible for boosting attendances and ticket sales. Nobody tasked with ushering in a new generation of supporters or enticing back those who no longer go. Nobody is being judged and assessed on ticket sales. Nobody could really care less whether there are 15,000 Rovers fans on Ewood or 5,000 so long as those there don't cause any trouble.

Saturday said it all. 2,000 away supporters from Huddersfield enjoying their day out with 6 stewards sat at the front of them, meanwhile in the home section of the Darwen End maybe 500 Rovers fans at most yet 12 stewards sat at the front monitoring them. That's what is wrong with the club and something seen nowhere else in the country. Everywhere else the home fans are treated with respect whilst the away fans get the rough treatment, but not at Rovers.

They'll happily hand over 7,000 tickets to Newcastle at £35 a head as its easy money. No effort needed to shift that amount of tickets. The hard work is what they won't do.

Offered corporate. Will be in the Lakes walking, eating and drinking.

Not even watching it on the box.

Horrible place to go - full of plastics and smackheads.

Have to say - I enjoyed drinking round Preston last year afterwards, but that's probably because we won!

Need to remember that there was a real optimism around the club prior to last season's Deepdale visit. We could have sold 6/7000 for it.

Considering how deflated the fanbase is, 3000 wouldn't be too bad for a TV game

That's what was most upsetting about the Lambert episode (can't really call it an era). There was such optimism that Venkys had shaken off their previous (alleged) bad advisors and we were going to see a change in approach. Even Rhodes leaving was a potential for the money to be reinvested in producing a better overall squad.

All that was extinguished when Lambert found out - like we had to - that Venkys are full of @#/?.

I am doing the corporate with a group of Preston fans in the Invincibles lounge, The brother in law organised it so regardless of performance or result hoping for a good day out. The 5-3 win at Deepdale in 1967 was my first away game, Barrie Hole scored a couple and it was very foggy.

Great game. I was stood behind the goals when he wacked in a left footer into the top corner from 30 yards. Great times. Team that day: Blacklaw, Newton, Wilson, Clayton, Coddington, Hole, Ferguson, Rodgers, , Gilliver, Darling, Connolly. Still got the programme with Douglas' autograph on the team sheet page. It was in November and we were mid table but for some reason we had 4 games in hand with everyone else. Nine of those players would walk into today's team.

Last season both games were at 3.00 pm on Saturday weren't they?

No, the home game v Preston was a lunchtime kick off to facilitate giving them the entire Darwen End.

How come this game kicks off at 5.30pm on a Saturday, but when they play down here it will be a 9am kick off on a Sunday morning on police advice?

Sky Sports. The all powerful organisation who click their fingers and the clubs, police and League do as they are told.

Great game. I was stood behind the goals when he wacked in a left footer into the top corner from 30 yards. Great times. Team that day: Blacklaw, Newton, Wilson, Clayton, Coddington, Hole, Ferguson, Rodgers, , Gilliver, Darling, Connolly. Still got the programme with Douglas' autograph on the team sheet page. It was in November and we were mid table but for some reason we had 4 games in hand with everyone else. Nine of those players would walk into today's team.

I was on that day.

Some class acts in that team, Newton, 'give us a goal, give us a goal, Barrie Hole, Barrie Hole', Fergie and 'his hair hangs over his shoulders Eamon Rogers'.

Blacklaw was an improvement on Else and Barton, Billy was ok at left back, Ronnie was playing from memory, who can forget Coddington's penalty taking farce at Ewood, 'bad back' Gilliver signed from Hudders, Malcolm, always a puzzle, Darling and frit to death Connelly.

Only seems like yesterday. Happy times.

I was there also. Fergie ran them ragged that day. They had a left back playing that lots of big clubs were supposedly looking at - not after that game. I remember Gilliver opened the scoring with a bullet header from a long way out from a Fergie cross. Malcolm Darling blasting one into the roof of the net from close in for the 5 th goal.

Great memories. We'd had a number of postponements, particularly at Ewood, so the Preston game was our first in about a month and what a game it was. Looking at that team and what we have today is chalk and cheese. Two ex-clarets in that line-up who were legends at the Turf and hugely popular with the Ewood faithful and one Ewood favourite who became a popular Claret in future years. No Dingle nonsense in those days just an appreciation of good footballers and that team had a fair number of excellent players. Barrie Hole, who was a class act and a particular favourite of mine, got a couple that day. What wouldn't we give for a Fergie, Hole or Rodgers in midfield today or a Connelly on the wing or a right-back like Newton.

Preston have given the Rovers match ticket buying home fans a chance of priority for Arsenal tickets in the cup game. Shouuld boost the home turnout quite a bit and that's the second good idea they've had in a week.

Meanwhile after 6 years we are still waiting for one good idea from our lot !

Not counting keep ST prices down because that has been borne out of desperation not goodwill.

Was the Stoke game the last time the club put on free coaches to an away game? Or did the V's do that when we stayed up on the last day at Wolves? Pre-Venkys I might be wrong but I'm sure the club put on free away coaches to one game a season. Again just underlines our current situation. :/

Was the Stoke game the last time the club put on free coaches to an away game? Or did the V's do that when we stayed up on the last day at Wolves? Pre-Venkys I might be wrong but I'm sure the club put on free away coaches to one game a season. Again just underlines our current situation. :/

For the Wolves game each Rovers fan in attendance got a £10 voucher to spend at Molineux on food and drink. Wolves must have been really pleased at potentially £30k being spent and making a nice profit. I said at the time Rovers would have been better giving each fan a £10 voucher to spend in the club shops. At least some money would have come back into the club and some stock shifted. To the best of my knowledge there was no free travel that day.

The last free coaches were for the rearranged game at Newport last season.

For the Wolves game each Rovers fan in attendance got a £10 voucher to spend at Molineux on food and drink. Wolves must have been really pleased at potentially £30k being spent and making a nice profit. I said at the time Rovers would have been better giving each fan a £10 voucher to spend in the club shops. At least some money would have come back into the club and some stock shifted. To the best of my knowledge there was no free travel that day.

The last free coaches were for the rearranged game at Newport last season.

Fairly sure there was free coach travel. It was the last time I went to a Rovers game on the coach, and I'm pretty sure the only reason I went by coach was because it was free. After the game on the walk back to the coach parking area there was quite a bit of trouble between Wolves and Rovers fans carried away with the emotion of the day and both teams surviving.

With your Lowe, Evan, Feeney, Guthrie and Akpan as your surrender monkeys good luck to you all for Saturday.

Scousers out and boycott the Lancashire Telegraph !

What's your problem with Scousers and what's wrong with the LT? Serious question.

Sales for Preston just passed 2,100. Very poor and sums up the feeling around the club at the moment.

With a 5.30pm kick-off on a Saturday night and a televised game I think we've done well to shift that many. The paying customer is the last person taken into account these days.

I was on that day.

Some class acts in that team, Newton, 'give us a goal, give us a goal, Barrie Hole, Barrie Hole', Fergie and 'his hair hangs over his shoulders Eamon Rogers'.

Blacklaw was an improvement on Else and Barton, Billy was ok at left back, Ronnie was playing from memory, who can forget Coddington's penalty taking farce at Ewood, 'bad back' Gilliver signed from Hudders, Malcolm, always a puzzle, Darling and frit to death Connelly.

Only seems like yesterday. Happy times.

His name is Eamon Rodgers,

He is the king of our land,

His hair hangs over his shoulders,

Tied up with a blue and white band.

Archived