SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Brighton

tomphil

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. We need to be tough to beat.

Coyle isnt a manager who can do tho. And I dont think we have the midfield who can do this either.

Thats why with the current squad I would go all out attack. 3 strikers. Kevin Keegan approach.

Good point there.

Trying to out score the opposition is total folly Chaddy.

Good players, discipline and organisation is the only way forward.

That's what a manager should bring to the club.

Great work JHR. This should go on a PowerPoint presentation and be sent to Charlie Cheston.

It took me about 30 minutes to do that research on my laptop the other week. Somehow I get the feeling that the people who led the managerial 'search' and then proclaimed Coyle as the 'standout candidate' won't have delved into such alarming figures or even considered his appalling record.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cheston couldn't even name the previous clubs Coyle has managed.

I'm no fan of Owen Coyle but I bet most fans would rather see goals at both ends with an awful squad, than 0-1 losses with an awful squad den.

One thing seems certain at the moment, we'll not see many 0-0 draws, be that a good thing or a bad thing.

Thats Coyle approach IMO. Hes not a manager who can organised a defence

We need to sort out the defence and make is a stronger unit. Lenihan and Hoban at centre back when Hoban is fit. Mulgrew and Evans in front of them would be my way.

Need a proper right back in cos Marshall isnt a right back and not good enough defensively

Gav, I would settle for 1 nil wins every game.

But I would still like to see us play attacking passing football but you cant always play that way

But I would still like to see us play attacking passing football but you cant always play that way

Remember when we were a top 10 PL team under Big Sam and some on here hated Sam's style.

Now we are bottom of the Championship serving up copious quantities of dross -'hoofball' - apart from a couple of decent moves each game.

Oh for those halcyon days of 2010 pre Venky's.

Totally agree, if you look at the Newcastle result its an outlier, if you were plotting a graph/analysis of performance in a business environment that result would be excluded.

Lets ignore those first two games against Norwich and Wigan then too :) That Cardiff game with Duffy looks quite the outlier too hehe...

We've averaged 1.23 goals for and 1.23 goals against in the past 13 games. Which would be roughly equivalent to 12th and 10th in the league for the year, respectively.

We've upgraded to mediocre, but those first 7 games are still a noose around Coyle. And those games coincided with the upheaval of losing his top 2 CBs for nothing.

Coyle for Manager of the Year!

*runs for my life*

Thats Coyle approach IMO. Hes not a manager who can organised a defence

We need to sort out the defence and make is a stronger unit. Lenihan and Hoban at centre back when Hoban is fit. Mulgrew and Evans in front of them would be my way.

Need a proper right back in cos Marshall isnt a right back and not good enough defensively

Hang on a minute did he not bring in Wes Brown to help sort the defence, what the heck is he doing whilst we are shipping goals.

Hang on a minute did he not bring in Wes Brown to help sort the defence, what the heck is he doing whilst we are shipping goals.

The Brown signing is bizarre and whatever he's getting paid is probably a crime.

(The combination of Hoban, Greer, and Mulgrew were decent additions given the complete lack of a transfer budget, though Greer has his limitations and Mulgrew is of course quite injury-prone - hence why they were free and are playing for us! Hoban's injury may be overlooked by some as a particularly bad break for the backline... Lenihan's looked good in spurts, but I'm not entirely convinced by him just yet, like any young player)

I agree. We need to be tough to beat.

Coyle isnt a manager who can do tho. And I dont think we have the midfield who can do this either.

Thats why with the current squad I would go all out attack. 3 strikers. Kevin Keegan approach.

Good point there.

Going 4-3-3 with the players we've got is asking to get dicked. I remember Wales having 3 top class centre forwards. Wyn Davies , Ron Davies, and John Toshack. All outstanding goal scorers in the old First Division. One match they got desperate and played all three. They got hammered because there was nobody to provide the service for the front three.

I'd do what Hughsey did and go 4-5-1. He had Dickov up front on his own. Tell Graham to run his nuts off up front until half time and then bring Emnes with the same instructions for the second half. Pack the midfield with scrappers and the odd animal ( The Axe ) and make teams dread coming up against us.

Trouble with that plan is we've not got enough scrappers. All our midfielders are a bit averse to rolling their sleeves up and getting stuck in. Evan's is twice the player for Northern Ireland, Lowe's just an headless chicken and our one authentic midfield battler, Lenihan, is having to play centre half.

He was originally brought in after a long trial period to play in the Championship. His other roles are afterthoughts.

He's off the pace when he plays with the U23's, there's no way he'd ever be considered for the Championship unless we were really really desperate.

Dropped himself in it there, contradicts the "we don't want to sell our best players" line he was spinning earlier in the year.

Motormouth Coyle rarely engages his brain before speaking. No doubt Agent Coyle will have a chat to his mate Chris this evening and try to agree a fee for Marshall. Naturally I am not for a moment suggesting that Owen has anything other than Rovers best interests at heart.

Coyle's here to sell and plug the holes for nothing that's his job his wheeler dealer instincts and contacts work both ways. Lambert wanted no part of it as soon as he realised it wouldn't be reinvested, this guy couldn't wait to get into it.

There'll be much more of the same in the next 7/8 months.

Archived