BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2016-17

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DE. said:

The outcome was probably determined when Arsenal lost the first leg 5-1, to be fair. It would have needed one hell of a second half performance for them to get through even with eleven men.

Yes you are right but at 3-5 and Arsenal with an away goal it would have been a cracker.......Maybe

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Time for Wenger to walk away from Arsenal. He is need taking them backwards. 

I would go for Sevilla manager to replace him. But I think Arsenal will go for Benitez tbh. Think Rodgers is an outsider for the job

Yes Rodgers outside in a queue a mile long which is where he would stay. Over-hyped nobody.

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes you are right but at 3-5 and Arsenal with an away goal it would have been a cracker.......Maybe

I just don't think Arsenal have it in them at the moment. There seems to be some disunity creeping in with the Sanchez incidents, and now that the fans are turning on Wenger the players have a ready-made excuse for failure. 

I do feel a little bad for Arsene, but the truth is he should have left Arsenal years ago. Both he and the club have been operating in their respective comfort zones for so long that now they aren't able to find their way out. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

But I think Arsenal will go for Benitez tbh.

I'm not sure why you'd think that if they're looking to improve on Wenger. Surely, Benitez would be a huge step back!

The Arsenal tie was over the day the draw was made. Arsenal don't have the mentality to beat the top teams when it matters. 2-0 at halftime yesterday would have made it an interesting second half though. Instead there was a dodgy sending off and capitulation as they knew it was over. 9 of Bayern's goals were scored when Koscielny wasn't on the pitch.

As for Wenger it's a tricky one. He's been there for 20 years. He stabilised them after the George Graham fallout. Won them league titles, cups, and was a sending off away from a Champs League title. However, since then it's been mediocre. But what is his remit? If it's top 4 each year he's done his job. If it's titles, then he hasn't.

I think that he's too loyal to his players. The current homegrown graduates; Iwobi, Coquelin, Gibbs, Bellerin, and even Wilshere (even though I rate him his injuries have knobbled him) aren't good enough. Those he bought young and "nurtured" are the same.

Ramsey could be class but Wenger won't play him where Wales do. When he did at the start of last season he was the best player in the league.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has had potential for years but it looks like Wenger has let him rest on his laurels. He should sign for Klopp at Liverpool.

Walcott hasn't learned how to beat a full back in the 10 years he's been at Arsenal.

His big money signings over the years rarely hit either.

My guess is that he'll leave if they don't get 4th place.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would go for Sevilla manager to replace him. But I think Arsenal will go for Benitez tbh. Think Rodgers is an outsider for the job

I really hope Rodgers doesn't get it, never seen a more smarmy so and so. Can't be doing with him being on telly more regularly. 

He's more narcissistic than Mourinho.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You dont half talk some sheet sometimes, benitez? Rodgers? Have a lie down

On 3/7/2017 at 10:30 AM, Bigdoggsteel said:

Richardson and Glendinning? 

John Giles , Eamon Dunphy and Liam Brady, Didi Hamann, Kenny Cunningham do be on over here. Giles is head and shoulders the most knowledgeable. Although he is pushing on a  bit.  

Agreed big dog. Rte might be a @#/? station but their champions league coverage is a million miles better then anything in the UK. And that includes sky in my humble opinion.

7 hours ago, Phil T said:

I'm not sure why you'd think that if they're looking to improve on Wenger. Surely, Benitez would be a huge step back!

Unless you are opening a hotel in Torquay I wouldn't be hiring Benitez.

6 hours ago, wolfie said:

It was 3-1 and the clock on 88 mins, so I thought that was it and switched it off lol

I did not stay up to watch any of it. 

Mind you a few years back I went of to bed at halftime in a certain European CL cup final. 

Theres always youtube

58 minutes ago, Stuart said:

For all the brilliance, it still needed that cheating Suarez to dive for a penalty late on - having not got one for an earlier dive. :rolleyes:

its not as if Cristiano Ronaldo hasnt dived his way to penalties before(Hardly gets criticized), nor any other player for that matter. Fact is, he saw an opportunity, felt the defender behind him, and took his chance. The ref gave it. If the ref didnt give it, then okay fine as well, but he gambled on it, and it payed off. Barca were positive from the get go, PSG were negative playing with everybody in defense. The only team people should criticize  is PSG and their manager Unai Emery for the way they were setup, and the tactics they employed. Barca were open at the back, they were there for the taking, but PSG refused to go for it, and they paid the price. 

Just now, Iceman said:

its not as if Cristiano Ronaldo hasnt dived his way to penalties before(Hardly gets criticized), nor any other player for that matter. Fact is, he saw an opportunity, felt the defender behind him, and took his chance. The ref gave it. If the ref didnt give it, then okay fine as well, but he gambled on it, and it payed off. Barca were positive from the get go, PSG were negative playing with everybody in defense. The only team people should criticize  is PSG and their manager Unai Emery for the way they were setup, and the tactics they employed. Barca were open at the back, they were there for the taking, but PSG refused to go for it, and they paid the price. 

I can't stand all this " he felt the defender behind him " crap. He cheated and cheating is killing the game.

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't stand all this " he felt the defender behind him " crap. He cheated and cheating is killing the game.

yeh man, it only happened last night. Its been happening forever, and you only realize now its killing the game? In fact, there are so many other incidents that's killing the game, but hey point out 1 incident, which involves Suarez conveniently.  He is a striker, he played the situation, the ref gave it, so? Ronaldo has done it many times, and so many other top players, so what has changed? nothing. There have been genuine penalty appeals and the ref never gave it, so the ref is a cheat for not giving it.  

Despite the Suarez dive, its the first time in a very long time I've actually jumped off my settee when Roberto scored the winner.

Amazing comeback, and one that will live in the memory for a long time.

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

yeh man, it only happened last night. Its been happening forever, and you only realize now its killing the game? In fact, there are so many other incidents that's killing the game, but hey point out 1 incident, which involves Suarez conveniently.  He is a striker, he played the situation, the ref gave it, so? Ronaldo has done it many times, and so many other top players, so what has changed? nothing. There have been genuine penalty appeals and the ref never gave it, so the ref is a cheat for not giving it.  

What are you talking about ? Of course I know it's been going on for years. I'm not picking on Suarez. Every team in the Premier League has them. Damien Duff was another one who was a diver at Rovers and I hated to see it. When we scored off a pen he'd dived for I felt we'd cheated.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What are you talking about ? Of course I know it's been going on for years. I'm not picking on Suarez. Every team in the Premier League has them. Damien Duff was another one who was a diver at Rovers and I hated to see it. When we scored of a pen he'd dived for I felt we'd cheated.

Morten Gamst Pedersen was pretty bad for it too, TS.

It is a blight on the game.

Archived