BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uddersfield Away

Indeed. I was lambasted on here for merely pointing out that Lowe wasn't good enough for a team with aspirations of achieving promotion/making the playoffs etc.

People suggested I had a personal grudge/ he must have been shagging the missus etc.

Funny how opinions change.

To be honest Rev the vast majority of the side are not good enough for a team trying to achieve promotion, thats why they're here!

As for Flitcroft, good servant and head and shoulders above anything we have in the current squad..

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't Gillespie on the right wing? Don't think Flitcroft ever once played on the wing.

The Flitcroft / Tugay / Dunn combination was miles better than most Championship teams have today. You sure you've got the right man?

This midfield would be miles ahead of any championship midfield

This midfield would be miles ahead of any championship midfield

A 45 year old Tugay with his straggly grey hair and 40 a day habit could still offer more than anything we've got now even if he didn't run.

Regarding the criticism of Akpan and Lowe, doesn't anyone find it a strange coincidence that its almost always our defensive midfielders that the fans criticise most? Akpan, Lowe, Williamson, Etuhu, N'Zonzi towards the end of his time here, Andrews, Reid until he scored that goal against Wigan, Mokoena, Savage in his first 6 months.

Because a lot of fans expect our defensive midfielders to do stuff that simply isn't in their primary remit. Their primary function is to protect the defence, so tackling of course, a good engine, good positional sense and a good ability to read the game. All but the first of those qualities are practically invisible to fans, we wouldn't know whether a player is doing them well or not because all the vast majority of us tend to do is follow the ball when watching a game.

And its for that reason that our defensive midfielders are always criticised, what they do with the ball. Well defensive midfielders who are as good in possession as they are out of it are as rare as hen's teeth. So its an unrealistic expectation and I wish the guy doing that job on the pitch would stop being criticised for it.

In Lowes case though iv'e always thought he absolute crap at being a defensive mid. Yes he's an engine but he's clueless although no wonder because he's never had a decent coach and he was overpromoted by king rat before he was ready, wonder why :blink:

Williamson was miles better at it but he was always running through treacle. Must stress i don't hate Lowey i think he's a good squad man but should nearly always start from the bench and not be first choice to throw on.

Exactly. You often see Lowe chasing back and trying last ditch tackles cos he's out of position. The goal conceded on the opening day to Norwich where he ball watched was a prime example. Happens all,of the time.

SKH - I agree that it is unrealistic to expect ball playing holding midfielders in our predicament, and some players who play DM do get some stick unfairly (see Rev's ludicrous comments on Flitcroft). However Lowe doesn't do the off-the-ball jobs required and out of the names you've given there is only Etuhu I would rather have less in our midfield.

Think back to Nicky Reid, one of the most limited midfielders and captains to ever don the blue and white halves. But in relation to Lowe he was twice the player. He made tackles, led the team, kicked the opposition and had them nervously looking for him when they had possession and he was a leader, he'd never go missing. He also got the odd goal. As for the fundamental aspects of what a footballer should have he fell short (like Lowe) but I know who I'd have in my team.

Think back to Nicky Reid, one of the most limited midfielders and captains to ever don the blue and white halves. But in relation to Lowe he was twice the player. He made tackles, led the team, kicked the opposition and had them nervously looking for him when they had possession and he was a leader, he'd never go missing. He also got the odd goal. As for the fundamental aspects of what a footballer should have he fell short (like Lowe) but I know who I'd have in my team.

A top guy as well :tu:

That first half was diabolical, did we have more than one attack?

Huddersfield were poor second half so we must have been doing better but still offered hardly any goal threat.

Feeney is rubbish but he can cross, that's why I think Mick McCarthy thought he could get a tune out of him, but I think he needs to play to a particular game plan as he has no football brain at all, how many times have we seen him waste great chances on a breakaway by making the wrong decision, and in this game it cost us the win.

Whole team was below par but Mulgrew looks a class above at times. It's very hard to win a game with a midfield that can't pass. Evans tried but was carrying an injury, Akpan is hopeless with the ball at his feet, Feeney and Conway passed backwards most of the time. One ball winning midfielder that's not great on the ball (Evans is a bit better than Akpan and Lowe) is enough the other has to be able to pass. Where is Guthrie? He's not great and brittle but at least he finds a team mate more often than not.

Regarding the criticism of Akpan and Lowe, doesn't anyone find it a strange coincidence that its almost always our defensive midfielders that the fans criticise most? Akpan, Lowe, Williamson, Etuhu, N'Zonzi towards the end of his time here, Andrews, Reid until he scored that goal against Wigan, Mokoena, Savage in his first 6 months.

Because a lot of fans expect our defensive midfielders to do stuff that simply isn't in their primary remit. Their primary function is to protect the defence, so tackling of course, a good engine, good positional sense and a good ability to read the game. All but the first of those qualities are practically invisible to fans, we wouldn't know whether a player is doing them well or not because all the vast majority of us tend to do is follow the ball when watching a game.

And its for that reason that our defensive midfielders are always criticised, what they do with the ball. Well defensive midfielders who are as good in possession as they are out of it are as rare as hen's teeth. So its an unrealistic expectation and I wish the guy doing that job on the pitch would stop being criticised for it.

I criticism them because too many goals come from the area they should be guarding. Free shots from around the " D " shouldn't be happening with the frequency they do at Rovers.

An overly simplistic viewpoint. At one time or another players in every position have come under intense criticism. In recent memory, Wilcox & Pedersen have been labelled the biggest scapegoats of the Ewood boo-boys. Both wingers.

Besides, central midfield is arguably the most important position on the pitch. If it's your weakest link, as it's been for years now, it's going to be exposed.

Also, Allardyce clearly didn't rate those CMs, because we bypassed the midfield most of the time. :P

That first half was diabolical, did we have more than one attack?

Huddersfield were poor second half so we must have been doing better but still offered hardly any goal threat.

Feeney is rubbish but he can cross, that's why I think Mick McCarthy thought he could get a tune out of him, but I think he needs to play to a particular game plan as he has no football brain at all, how many times have we seen him waste great chances on a breakaway by making the wrong decision, and in this game it cost us the win.

Whole team was below par but Mulgrew looks a class above at times. It's very hard to win a game with a midfield that can't pass. Evans tried but was carrying an injury, Akpan is hopeless with the ball at his feet, Feeney and Conway passed backwards most of the time. One ball winning midfielder that's not great on the ball (Evans is a bit better than Akpan and Lowe) is enough the other has to be able to pass. Where is Guthrie? He's not great and brittle but at least he finds a team mate more often than not.

Would prefer Bennett to Feeney but you've nailed it there he can ping in the odd good cross or two. Benno works harder and is quick but nee end product which is a shame.

Archived