Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

News goes here. Racism and religionism do not. Any complaints, go to Ask Admin.

Edited by Mike E

Do you not think Mike that you are in danger of tailoring this forum to be what you personally want rather than what the members want?

Feel free to move this to Ask Admin if you wish.

Edited by Al

What does everyone think about Corbyn’s wage cap suggestion? I think it said about £200,000 per year in the article. Like a lot of Corbyn’s opinions, personally I find it quite appealing in an ideal world. The increasing wage gap between company directors and entry-level staff is surely disagreeable given the obscene levels it’s now reached.

But the real world being as messy and full of indirect, unwanted consequences as it is, I think this type of policy needs to be very, very carefully considered. Referenced it before but Thatcher’s response when confronted about the rising wealth gap during her tenure was to say that the rich may be a lot better off, but the poor still were better off, and you couldn’t have the latter without the former. Not sure the extent to which this is true, seems quite a tricky thing to find data on.

The correct approach in my opinion would be to figure out why the wealth gap has grown and work on fixing that so the gap decreases naturally, rather than impose an artificial limit.

"Appealing"? Did spellcheck get it wrong and you meant "appalling". It's a suggestion made completely out of jealousy. What is the point of getting to the top if your income is going to be capped. It just stifles ambition. The amount of the cap is irrelevant.

The £70m "earned" last year by the likes of Martin Sorrell of WPP is appalling. But an earnings cap is unworkable and is not the answer. There are plenty of other ways of making the rich pay their dues, such as wealth taxes, statutory pay ratios such as those used by John Lewis, and legislation giving shareholders the final say in executive remuneration.

The wealth gap has risen inexorably over the past 30 years as the neo-liberal agenda started by Reagan and Thatcher has taken its toll on ordinary working people. Some of the salaries earned by the 0.1 per cent is obscene (including footballers) and it's time they were reined in.

"Appealing"? Did spellcheck get it wrong and you meant "appalling". It's a suggestion made completely out of jealousy. What is the point of getting to the top if your income is going to be capped. It just stifles ambition. The amount of the cap is irrelevant.

Why would Corbyn be jealous? He's pretty well off. I think he just has a problem with the huge and rising inequality in society, and so do I.

I do agree with you that there has to be sufficient motivation to succeed. The wealth and job creators/preservers out there, entrepreneurs and top level management, usually put every waking moment into their work and not enough would make that sacrifice without the promise of riches at the end of it. So everything would be of lower quality.

But there's riches and there's what is going on in the country and the world today. Billionaires popping up left, right and centre. I mean who needs that much money, you couldn't spend it if you tried.

I find it frustrating that the concept of population control has such negative conotations. Because if we could just stabilise the world's population, you could then say with confidence that there is enough to go around and the pressure would grow on the rich to start demanding that it does go around.

The £70m "earned" last year by the likes of Martin Sorrell of WPP is appalling. But an earnings cap is unworkable and is not the answer. There are plenty of other ways of making the rich pay their dues, such as wealth taxes, statutory pay ratios such as those used by John Lewis, and legislation giving shareholders the final say in executive remuneration.

The wealth gap has risen inexorably over the past 30 years as the neo-liberal agenda started by Reagan and Thatcher has taken its toll on ordinary working people. Some of the salaries earned by the 0.1 per cent is obscene (including footballers) and it's time they were reined in

Totally agree Phillip.

One of the things I'd look at is % pay rises too. There should be some kind of link between the % and the overall figure. Maybe 1/2 is % of salary, and 1/2 is a set figure that everyone gets on their basic wage regardless of position.

Corbyns plan is unworkable anyway, the first thing the big companies would do , is to try and get rid of their lowest earners - cleaners etc would then be farmed out to agencies, or put on zero hour contracts. Also some companies would naturally have a higher basic wage, take a management consultancy vs sports direct.

Beautiful little girl, hope she didn't suffer too much :(

Not sure how a family cope after that

I also heard about the girl who suffered food poisoning, I could not find the story from yesterday. I believe she passed away from takeaway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-38568000

Most punchable criminal 2017 already decided? Idiot releases the handbrake on an ambulance to move it out of the way of his parking spot, whilst the crew are treating a woman in the back. At least I hope he's classed as a criminal, god knows these days with our limp-wristed justice system.

Why would Corbyn be jealous? He's pretty well off. I think he just has a problem with the huge and rising inequality in society, and so do I.

I do agree with you that there has to be sufficient motivation to succeed. The wealth and job creators/preservers out there, entrepreneurs and top level management, usually put every waking moment into their work and not enough would make that sacrifice without the promise of riches at the end of it. So everything would be of lower quality.

But there's riches and there's what is going on in the country and the world today. Billionaires popping up left, right and centre. I mean who needs that much money, you couldn't spend it if you tried.

I find it frustrating that the concept of population control has such negative conotations. Because if we could just stabilise the world's population, you could then say with confidence that there is enough to go around and the pressure would grow on the rich to start demanding that it does go around.

Because people earn more than him. It's typical left wing jealousy. If I can't be rich I'm going to make damned sure that nobody else can be either.

Totally agree Phillip.

One of the things I'd look at is % pay rises too. There should be some kind of link between the % and the overall figure. Maybe 1/2 is % of salary, and 1/2 is a set figure that everyone gets on their basic wage regardless of position.

Corbyns plan is unworkable anyway, the first thing the big companies would do , is to try and get rid of their lowest earners - cleaners etc would then be farmed out to agencies, or put on zero hour contracts. Also some companies would naturally have a higher basic wage, take a management consultancy vs sports direct.

You can't do that. Companies will always determine their own salary structure. Start legislating in that sort of way and you are sure to drive them abroad.

Got pretty upset today hearing about that gorgeous 7 year old murdered by a 15 year old girl.

What her life could have been we'll never know, her poor family are destroyed, and on the news the local vicar commented on the tragedy.

So father, where was your omnipresent deity when an innocent needed protection ? If you have faith you MUST believe that he wouldn't let this kind of thing happen surely ?

Video doing the rounds of a 12yo livestreaming her suicide by hanging from a tree. Horrible news. Just horrible.

Man with hammer attacked Police Officers in Crawley.

Per the disclaimer, the video may be distressing to some.

Story: http://rare.us/?p=474440

Was gonna say he'll get some serious time for that with it being police officers, got life eh! Whats that these days? Still at least 10 years I hope.

Thats one immigrant thats put nothing into our economy and will cost it millions. The initial police call out, cost of physical treatment, psychological treatment, time off work. Court fee costs, and he'll probably appeal. And then jail costs.

I've always said its there in black and white, immigration from outside the EU has historically had a net detrimental effect on the UK economy. Its only educated professionals set up with work who have no dependents and who can speak english that are net contributors. This comprised the majority of EU immigration in the past, it won't in the future.

Edited by Steve Kean's Hypnotoad

I've always said its there in black and white, immigration from outside the EU has historically had a net detrimental effect on the UK economy. Its only educated professionals set up with work who have no dependents and who can speak english that are net contributors. This comprised the majority of EU immigration in the past, it won't in the future.

Where in black and white? Do you have any evidence?

Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Russian, Jamaican, Israeli, Canadian, Ghanian, Libyan, Nigerian and South African immigrants have made fantastic economic and cultural contributions to postwar UK.