Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dead right. You need to respect the mods decision. It's like respecting referees, without them there'd be no game.

Like the ref against Forest? I enjoyed the Brexit thread. It was a constant source of amusement but all good things have to end some time.

Just now, Al said:

Like the ref against Forest? I enjoyed the Brexit thread. It was a constant source of amusement but all good things have to end some time.

It's a thankless task. I once refereed a first team versus reserve team  Boxing Day friendly while I was recovering from injury. It was awful, inspite of being a team mate of all the players they gave me a real hard time. Never again !

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dead right. You need to respect the mods decision. It's like respecting referees, without them there'd be no game.

What about the players

:D

7 hours ago, otto man said:

Really?  Read it again in context Mike. Whilst I have to accept the decision, I don't have to respect it. Whilst I can and do understand, that at times, you must have an absolute mare keeping on top of some of the posts on here, stifling debate, is not the answer!  Whilst some got a little too, er, involved, shall we say? there was also a lot of interesting debate, there was also humour ( I loved jim's "swivel eyed loons" comments) and when all is said and done I think it's wrong, to simply stifle something because it's the easy option, but hey ho, that's life, Innit!

Actually, yes you do. It's in the guidelines you agreed to when you signed up to the forum.

Frustrating as it may be (and I do agree with you that stifling debate is wrong), this was a 'final straw' decision after all other moderation techniques were exhausted.

Every decision such as thread closure is discussed over a couple of days by a few mods, to ensure decisions aren't hasty. The thread closure has actually been on the cards since before Christmas but we had faith it would settle. Alas, it didn't.

21 hours ago, otto man said:

Did anyone die as a result of the thread? Did the sky fall? has the world turned on it's axis?  No? So,no casulties then?  The "daft censorship card"? You find objections to censorship "daft"? Then you're a perfect candidate to live in modern Britain. (Just keep thinking what you're told to think and you'll be fine.) As for your ridiculous comment regarding political forums, it may have escaped your notice Mike, but this is an open forum, non football related, why should a select few decide what's up for discussion?

By the way, I love your dictatorial tone at the end.  Yawohl mein Furhrer!

No the sky did not fall in. Common decency did though disappear. We are not arbiters of common decency, we all know what is and is not acceptable behaviour.

The Brexit thread was closed, will remain so and the topic off limits because one of the most disgusting insults I've read in here was levelled at one member by another. 

This insult was quite simply, for the mods, a tipping point. If the board is unable to discuss any topic without slipping in to a cesspit the topic will close and offenders banned.

There are, I'm told, plenty of opportunities to discuss any topic in any manner one wishes on forums all across the web. Anyone who does not like the approach on this forum has the freedom to express their views elsewhere. 

The mods have been pushed to this view by posters not showing the everyday respect people are entitled to receive. It's not a left, right political stance as for months both sides of the debate have been equally guilty.

In the past this place has been compared to a pub. If a landlord objects to behaviour in the pub he/she runs he/she will likely ban the offender.

Edited by Paul

15 hours ago, Al said:

That doesn't really sound like entering the spirit of debate to me. 

Sounds more like talking the opportunity to antagonise others. 

You might find that satisfying because you've got a fixed mindset when it comes to brexit, but who really needs to read all of the insults and bitchy remarks? 

Edited by broadsword

1 hour ago, broadsword said:

You might find that satisfying because you've got a fixed mindset when it comes to brexit, but who really needs to read all of the insults and bitchy remarks? 

post eleven is where it started

Edited by yoda

1 hour ago, broadsword said:

A couple of them deserved antagonising.:lol:

9 hours ago, Paul said:

The Brexit thread was closed, will remain so and the topic off limits because one of the most disgusting insults I've read in here was levelled at one member by another. 

Was it the old "left wing vermin" comment?

I'm not one for banning members, but I wonder why I get banned for things when that particular poster is still knocking about.

Edited by Batman.

34 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Was it the old "left wing vermin" comment?

I'm not one for banning members, but I wonder why I get banned for things when that particular poster is still knocking about.

It all started in post 11

Just now, Batman. said:

You'll have to be more specific.

Er, no I wont,

not allowed to discuss that topic

1 hour ago, yoda said:

It all started in post 11

Post 8, as evidenced by Mike's response in #9

Although you could make a case for post 1...:P

1 hour ago, Steve Moss said:

Once again you're trying to insinuate that an entire race of people are a particular way due to the actions of one or two. You were alarming quiet when that group of white Christian males went into the Canadian Mosque and shot six Muslims dead.

Aside from hating feminism and worshipping Donald Trump, you're also a raging Daily Mail reading racist.

In case someone missed the memo:

Remember folks and Batman may not have been in the forum at that particular time, we were warned NOT to discuss religion. Keep talking about it and we'll get another thread closed. One can report on events that happen anywhere, just leave the other out, linking seems to be fine, the extra comment not.

That's why this thread has "attempt" attached to its name.

Edited by Audax

2 hours ago, Audax said:

In case someone missed the memo:

Remember folks and Batman may not have been in the forum at that particular time, we were warned NOT to discuss religion. Keep talking about it and we'll get another thread closed. One can report on events that happen anywhere, just leave the other out, linking seems to be fine, the extra comment not.

That's why this thread has "attempt" attached to its name.

I'm so happy I could cry, someone understands!

Just now, Mike E said:

Man up FFS

:D

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How come my post was removed? But the hate inciting post of Moss is allowed to remain?

I didn't remove it myself, but I suspect because it contained an unnecessary personal insult aimed at the quoted member.