Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

20 hours ago, Dreski said:

Post 8, as evidenced by Mike's response in #9

Precisely. As a fellow member of the blunt end, well done. 

Meanwhile, (tinhat on) Ukip is going into meltdown 2 days before the Stoke by-election with 2 chairmen of Ukip branches in Liverpool and Merseyside resigning in protest at leader Paul Nuttall''s “crass insensitivity” in relation to his comments about Hillsborough.

Farage has said that Ukip needs to win the heavily Brexit-voting Stoke or it might not as bother as a political party. Here's hoping !

13 hours ago, Steve Moss said:

You're quoting the Daily Heil?  Even wikipedia have given up on that as a factual source.  You'd be better off quoting Breitbart - about as credible.

People have been referring to post numbers. Since the new skin I have no numbers on the posts. Am I missing something?

I see the Tories have pulled out another election winning wheeze. According to the front page of today's " Daily Express " they intend allow private companies to start messing with the terms of your pension.

44 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see the Tories have pulled out another election winning wheeze. According to the front page of today's " Daily Express " they intend allow private companies to start messing with the terms of your pension.

They will have to tread very carefully on this. They depend heavily on the grey vote in elections.

If she's in France she can do as she pleases. If she's visiting Lebanon she should be cognisant ot the local custom and practice. Either that or don't go. If you come into my house it's non smoking. If I go to your house you have the right to smoke all you like and I have the right to leave or not bother visiting you at all.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If she's in France she can do as she pleases. If she's visiting Lebanon she should be cognisant ot the local custom and practice. Either that or don't go. If you come into my house it's non smoking. If I go to your house you have the right to smoke all you like and I have the right to leave or not bother visiting you at all.

Normally, I'd agree with you.  But two things:

1.  France donates a lot of money to Lebanon, in terms of military aid, refugee assistance, and building aid.  So the grand mufti's demand seems akin to biting the hand that feeds them.  And gives Le Pen the excuse to transfer those monies to internal French needs, if she wins election (not an impossibility).

2.  When it comes to woman suffrage and equal rights, setting an example and not knuckling under is important.

Just now, Steve Moss said:

Normally, I'd agree with you.  But two things:

1.  France donates a lot of money to Lebanon, in terms of military aid, refugee assistance, and building aid.  So the grand mufti's demand seems akin to biting the hand that feeds them.  And gives Le Pen the excuse to transfer those monies to internal French needs, if she wins election (not an impossibility).

2.  When it comes to woman suffrage and equal rights, setting an example and not knuckling under is important.

If The Queen, Margaret Thatcher and Teresa May observed those customs she should. From my own point of view it's all a load of semi - superstitious rubbish.

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Private companies have always interfered in pensions arrangements - viz Robert Maxwell. My own firm was taken over and the new (Japanese company) promptly raided the pension fund to the tune of £5m. The union managed to claw most of it back but only after a hard fight. This sort of thing should be against the law - pension funds should belong to members only and ringfenced from outside interference.

As for the so-called triple lock, it has to go. There is no justification for it when pensioners have had such a good deal for so long and the country is hard up for money (apparently). The current younger generation is worse off than its grandparents - the first time it's ever happened. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If The Queen, Margaret Thatcher and Teresa May observed those customs she should. From my own point of view it's all a load of semi - superstitious rubbish.

I like the Queen.  I liked Margaret Thatcher.  The jury is still out on Teresa May.

But just because I like someone doesn't mean I agree with everything they do.  On this point, I'm leaning towards Le Pen having the right of it.

4 hours ago, Steve Moss said:

So who is being insensitive here?  The French woman politician who refuses to cover up or the grand mufti who insists she does as a pre-condition for meeting?

http://www.reuters.com/article/france-election-lepen-idUSKBN1600RJ

It shouldn't even be a question. If I visit a country I expect to respect its' mores, traditions and values. If women wear headscarves in Lebanon then so should Le Pen. It has nothing to do with suffrage and rights and everything to do with respect. 

Meet in France and the position is rather different.

Edited by Paul

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Private companies have always interfered in pensions arrangements - viz Robert Maxwell. My own firm was taken over and the new (Japanese company) promptly raided the pension fund to the tune of £5m. The union managed to claw most of it back but only after a hard fight. This sort of thing should be against the law - pension funds should belong to members only and ringfenced from outside interference.

As for the so-called triple lock, it has to go. There is no justification for it when pensioners have had such a good deal for so long and the country is hard up for money (apparently). The current younger generation is worse off than its grandparents - the first time it's ever happened. 

I'm not so sure about that Jim. What did surprise me was that when I worked beyond my 65th birthday I no longer had to make National Insurance contributions. That seemed daft to me as I would have been perfectly prepared to carry on paying as long as I was working.

Tyrone, you really need to chill when someone tells a joke, I don't always go along with the joke, it might offend me but so what?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

is that not a contradiction Jim, private pensions have to be protected, which is correct they should be.

State pensions should also be protected as well and not subject to the whim's of the elected government of the day.

People pay into both schemes via their earnings.

Edited by yoda

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

So in the UK the burka should not be worn?

1 hour ago, Al said:

Unfortunately Al, some on here are masters of double standards.

2 hours ago, Al said:

For me - no It shouldn't. I've made this clear in the past, especially after I was nearly run over by two women ( I think ) in a Mercedes wearing burkas at a zebra crossing.

8 hours ago, Al said:

It's our custom and tradition to be a multicultural, and liberal society where people have the choice to wear the burka or not. 

If said Burka means that person can't see properly whilst driving, then it's a choice of removing it, or not driving IMO. A bit like how you get 3 points if the police spot you driving before your windscreen de-fogs.

1 hour ago, Baz said:

It's our custom and tradition to be a multicultural, and liberal society where people have the choice to wear the burka or not. 

If said Burka means that person can't see properly whilst driving, then it's a choice of removing it, or not driving IMO. A bit like how you get 3 points if the police spot you driving before your windscreen de-fogs.

Multi-cultural is traditional?   Not hardly.  It's a recent fad.  And the pendulum will swing back. 

If the U.K. (and the USA) want to thrive, we need immigration from immigrants that integrate.  We don't need the seeds of Balkanization, which is the logical consequence of multiculturalism.   

Edited by Steve Moss

4 hours ago, Steve Moss said:

We don't need the seeds of Balkanization, which is the logical consequence of multiculturalism.   

I had to look up this term Balkanisation as it was new to me.  From what I have read its use does not necessarily refer to sub- division within a country on racial or ethnic lines though their are examples where it does on the basis of religion. From what I have learnt "Balkanisation" has little to with an extension of multiculturalism - England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Cornwall (!) each have their own independence groups, as does Canada for example. In fact it's quite difficult to find an example based on racial grounds. 

Interestingly it is also term used in American planning to describe gated communities, which America has the highest concentration in the world. Looks like the white folk are already practicising Balkanisation in the States.

7 hours ago, Steve Moss said:

Multi-cultural is traditional?   Not hardly.  It's a recent fad.  And the pendulum will swing back. 

If the U.K. (and the USA) want to thrive, we need immigration from immigrants that integrate.  We don't need the seeds of Balkanization, which is the logical consequence of multiculturalism.   

US is built on immigration from people of different of creeds and cultures over centuries, so hardly a "recent fad".

Presumably as the descendant of white immigrants yourself, when are you going to integrate into the culture of the native, real Americans, you know, those chaps who used to live in wigwams?