Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

Where in black and white? Do you have any evidence?

Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, Russian, Jamaican, Israeli, Canadian, Ghanian, Libyan, Nigerian and South African immigrants have made fantastic economic and cultural contributions to postwar UK.

It says a NET detrimental effect. The fact that a few immigrants have made contributions does not alter that fact but you know that and are just trying to colour the position to suit your opinion/agenda.

So father, where was your omnipresent deity when an innocent needed protection ? If you have faith you MUST believe that he wouldn't let this kind of thing happen surely ?

It's called free will.

And here is a brief, but good, article that lays out the case the existence of evil is evidence of the existence of God (or some higher being or beings). https://www.str.org/articles/evil-as-evidence-for-god#.WHp8O1MrLIU

Edited by Steve Moss

It's called free will.

And here is a brief, but good, article that lays out the case the existence of evil is evidence of the existence of God (or some higher being or beings). https://www.str.org/articles/evil-as-evidence-for-god#.WHp8O1MrLIU

Nonsense. Fairy stories for the weak minded, God does not exist (in any denomination).

Nonsense. Fairy stories for the weak minded, God does not exist (in any denomination).

Don't think you can be 100% sure of that, I'd describe myself as agnostic personally. Fully subscribe to science's view of the universe but science has little/no idea of what caused the big bang, and if it somehow figures out that, what caused the thing that caused the big bang etc? Know its pretty complicated talking about before the big bang because the big bang created time as well as space, so its questionable whether words like before and caused are valid. There's also the physical law of Conservation of Energy that says you can't create something out of literally nothing, but again that's a law based on this universe. One thing you can say about the Big Bang is also physical laws as we know them don't apply, so you're talking about something literally outside the realms of reality. Doesn't strike me as being beyond possibility that some form of godlike entity could exist in such a "place".

Don't think you can be 100% sure of that, I'd describe myself as agnostic personally. Fully subscribe to science's view of the universe but science has little/no idea of what caused the Big Bang, and if it somehow figures out that, what caused the thing that caused the big bang etc? Know its pretty complicated talking about before the big bang because the big bang created time as well as space, so its questionable whether words like before and caused are valid. There's also the physical law of Conservation of Energy that says you can't create something out of literally nothing, but again that's a law based on this universe. One thing you can say about the Big Bang is also physical laws as we know them don't apply, so you're talking about something literally outside the realms of reality. Doesn't strike me as being beyond possibility that some form of godlike entity could exist in such a "place".

Careful, SKH. You'll offend some atheist by questioning their FAITH in the non-existence of God. 😄

Careful, SKH. You'll offend some atheist by questioning their FAITH in the non-existence of God.

The proof is in your department dear and good luck with that. Absolute garbage, over to you.

The proof is in your department dear and good luck with that. Absolute garbage, over to you.

Why is the proof on my end? Believe what you like, I have no desire or ability to "prove" anything to you as it is an impossibility. But it is a evidentiary certainty that an atheist is taking just as much on faith as a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, etc.

So welcome to your imagined (and soulless) certainty as to the nature of our reality. May it bring you much joy and fulfillment.

net_immigration_464_1.gif

Thanks Steve, some pretty interesting stats there. Surprising UK natives have also been net 'takers' from the economy since 2001. However that 'other government expenditure' is a bit overly vague. It looks like it includes everything- education, health, defence...

It does show that non EU immigrants tend to take low paying jobs and therefore contribute a comparatively lower amount of taxes. But those jobs need doing - someone will always be below the 1.00 line, no matter how you cut the demographics.

The thing I'd take away from that graph in isolation is that tax levels and government spending look to be pretty unsustainable across the board.

Edited by ultrablue

Thanks Steve, some pretty interesting stats there. Surprising UK natives have also been net 'takers' from the economy since 2001. However that 'other government expenditure' is a bit overly vague. It looks like it includes everything- education, health, defence...

It does show that non EU immigrants tend to take low paying jobs and therefore contribute a comparatively lower amount of taxes. But those jobs need doing - someone will always be below the 1.00 line, no matter how you cut the demographics.

The thing I'd take away from that graph in isolation is that tax levels and government spending look to be pretty unsustainable across the board.

Yeah its a pretty obvious pointer for why the national debt is current £1.6 trillion. Well shouldn't it include everything? All government expenditure is, or should be, designed to help its citizens, however indirectly. So we've a responsibility to pay for it.

It doesn't specifically show non-EU immigrants take low paying jobs, all it shows is they take more out of the economy than they put in. There are many different reasons for that you can imply and I agree on the putting-in side the low-paying jobs is a valid one. However you could also imply on the taking-out side that they have more non-working dependents, require government-funded English lessons, or have cultural habits that cost the country such as driving without tax/insurance/a licence, dealing primarily in cash which contributes to the hidden economy which costs the country £6 billion a year in lost tax, and in some cases actively wishing harm on the country requiring huge government investment in security and surveillance.

The bottom line though is that non-EEA immigrants are not of economic benefit to the UK, which is probably the biggest hidden truth in the immigration and whole Brexit debate. I'd be a very rich man if I had a quid for every time I've heard the sweeping statement of immigrants are essential for the economy.

Yeah its a pretty obvious pointer for why the national debt is current £1.6 trillion. Well shouldn't it include everything? All government expenditure is, or should be, designed to help its citizens, however indirectly. So we've a responsibility to pay for it.

It doesn't specifically show non-EU immigrants take low paying jobs, all it shows is they take more out of the economy than they put in. There are many different reasons for that you can imply and I agree on the putting-in side the low-paying jobs is a valid one. However you could also imply on the taking-out side that they have more non-working dependents, require government-funded English lessons, or have cultural habits that cost the country such as driving without tax/insurance/a licence, dealing primarily in cash which contributes to the hidden economy which costs the country £6 billion a year in lost tax, and in some cases actively wishing harm on the country requiring huge government investment in security and surveillance.

The bottom line though is that non-EEA immigrants are not of economic benefit to the UK, which is probably the biggest hidden truth in the immigration and whole Brexit debate. I'd be a very rich man if I had a quid for every time I've heard the sweeping statement of immigrants are essential for the economy.

Right,assuming you are right about the hidden economy, public programmes etc. propotionately benefiting non EU immigrants, the cost of that is paid by everyone. That doesnt account for their line being lower on the graph. The only thing that separates the demographics in the graph is their tax contribution.

And as pretty much all recent terrorist attacks have shown, citizen, EU, non EU, it is impossible to know.

Edited by ultrablue

Why is the proof on my end? Believe what you like, I have no desire or ability to "prove" anything to you as it is an impossibility. But it is a evidentiary certainty that an atheist is taking just as much on faith as a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, etc.

So welcome to your imagined (and soulless) certainty as to the nature of our reality. May it bring you much joy and fulfillment.

The whole idea of faith is predicated on there being no proof. So the burden is firmly on the disproved to offer something which removes that faith. Otherwise they must accept someone's faith as it is.

In my view God is those things which we do not understand and can not comprehend or explain. SKH's comments on the Big Bang are a good example. Whatever banged must have been 'somewhere' even if that somewhere was not in the physical world. Science and religion are very closely related in my view both attempting to describe the world around us.

Problems occur when religion is used as an excuse to obtain land, money or control.

Yeah its a pretty obvious pointer for why the national debt is current .6 trillion. Well shouldn't it include everything? All government expenditure is, or should be, designed to help its citizens, however indirectly. So we've a responsibility to pay for it.

Those stats are 6 years old, so I'd be interested to see the same stats update to now, as I believe there have been big changes to bringing in non EU family members.

Huge Huge Alligator in Florida and a lot of news agencies and TV stations are airing this. I'm still not sure if this is a hoax or real. It's something. One has to watch the video; Huffington Post has it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/massive-alligator-florida-video_us_587cfd1fe4b0e58057ffa976

Looks real enough - reminds me of the close encounter I had with an alligator in Florida many years ago. They scare the living daylights out of me, I have to admit. How people can go for a casual family walk with those things around I don't know. Makes you realise how lucky we are in this country because we have very few dangerous animals or reptiles - Brexiteers excepted of course.

Isn't that like a modern day Sunday Sport?

This is just attacking the messenger, is the story wrong?

The story is all over; I read about it in a few places and saw it on TV; but the link left had an easily accessible video to watch. Another story I read did not have such an easy to watch video.

Edited by Audax

Looks real enough - reminds me of the close encounter I had with an alligator in Florida many years ago. They scare the living daylights out of me, I have to admit. How people can go for a casual family walk with those things around I don't know. Makes you realise how lucky we are in this country because we have very few dangerous animals or reptiles - Brexiteers excepted of course.

Must admit that is one thing I miss about home, not having to look around and under everything for something that wants to kill you. Lucky its just snakes and Redbacks in the suburbs dont think I could live in the bush or hills where even Mother nature tries to get in on the act with her bushfires

Edited by perthblue02

It's real, I think. There are some huge bull gators in Florida.

Here's a video of one walking on a golf course.

Edited by Steve Moss

I can deal with snakes. Red backs? Nope. I truly cannot deal with spiders, these would scare the living daylights out of me.

I believe Australia has more nature that will kill the unwary than anywhere else. Shudders.

At least there's a decent chance of seeing an alligator coming!!!!

Edited by Paul

I can deal with snakes. Red backs? Nope. I truly cannot deal with spiders, these would scare the living daylights out of me.

I believe Australia has more nature that will kill the unwary than anywhere else. Shudders.

At least there's a decent chance of seeing an alligator coming!!!!

Luckily redbacks have distictive webs so gives you the heads up they are knocking about, we have a bloke who comes rounds and sprays every 3/4 months but they are hardy little buggers, no funnelwebs in this part of Aus so one small mercy .

Edited by perthblue02

A new president was elected in Gambia, now the old president is refusing to step down, he has declared 3 months of martial law.

Senegal, a country that basically surrounds Gambia is sending troops to its borders, Nigeria is joining in on this in an act of African countries.

So, though, most of us may see these as countries that are not affecting us directly, it is an interesting situation.

http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00048764.html

Senegalese troops moving towards border

http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00048762.html

Pres. Jammeh of Gambia is recruiting mercenaries. <--- If this is happening, hiring mercenaries from Liberia, I feel for the lads, they could be crushed badly.

But the country itself is probably in a real bad position right now. The president blaming foreign interference on losing the election.

I really don't envision the Senegalese troops moving in on the country; but who knows? And if it happens, it could happen in the next 6-12 hours.

------------

Another Crocodile story, this from Thailand. This was a trainer in this. My opinion is the trainer was not serious hurt but I may be wrong, he is gingerly holding up his arm when he gets out of there but I don't see blood (?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8Bpy4FAOs

Edited by Audax