Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

A new president was elected in Gambia, now the old president is refusing to step down, he has declared 3 months of martial law.

Senegal, a country that basically surrounds Gambia is sending troops to its borders, Nigeria is joining in on this in an act of African countries.

So, though, most of us may see these as countries that are not affecting us directly, it is an interesting situation.

http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00048764.html

Senegalese troops moving towards border

http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00048762.html

Pres. Jammeh of Gambia is recruiting mercenaries. <--- If this is happening, hiring mercenaries from Liberia, I feel for the lads, they could be crushed badly.

But the country itself is probably in a real bad position right now. The president blaming foreign interference on losing the election.

I really don't envision the Senegalese troops moving in on the country; but who knows? And if it happens, it could happen in the next 6-12 hours.

------------

Another Crocodile story, this from Thailand. This was a trainer in this. My opinion is the trainer was not serious hurt but I may be wrong, he is gingerly holding up his arm when he gets out of there but I don't see blood (?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8Bpy4FAOs

Re the Croc, broken arm I reckon, and very lucky the Croc didn't continue its death roll - that would have stripped the flesh quickly.

Senegalese troops move into Gambia per the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38682184

I think this is a good thing, it sounds like that ruler in Gambia, Jammeh, who doesn't want to step down, could create a conceivable bloodbath there.

Turn them into colonies again, they are clearly ill equipped to run things themselves.

Of course he refuses to accept the result, he'll have to relinquish his bespoke robes, fleet of limousines and luxury accommodation.

He should be like the other bloke, King/President of Zambia ? Living in bloody Wythenshawe or summat and shopping at B&M

Something now in Melbourne, I hope this is not too serious; news has just broke, car running at pedestrians, shots fire, not much more is being reported.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/police-chase-driver-in-melbournes-cbd-pedestrians-hit-reports-shots-fired/ar-AAm2FW2

3 now dead, 20 injured, not believed to be terrorist linked

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/police-pursuit-through-melbourne-cbd/news-story/e365f902f9a433956125d84dfb43ac59?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=CourierMail&utm_medium=Twitter

EDit: Just on TV news here,Royal children's hospital in Melbourne reporting that of 4 children admitted from the above incident 1 is critical and 3 serious condition.

Latest - sickening

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/woman-screams-for-baby-amid-horror-melbourne-rampage-ng-b88361678z

From the police press conference on tv over here, sounds like crystal meth strikes again, big problem over here.

Edited by perthblue02

It's all over in The Gambia, the old president has said he was mistaken and the vote was OK, nowt to do with the army massing on the border. Taking over is the ex-Argos employee, bringing hope for my making Gabon great again 2025 presidential campaign.

It's all over in The Gambia, the old president has said he was mistaken and the vote was OK, nowt to do with the army massing on the border. Taking over is the ex-Argos employee, bringing hope for my making Gabon great again 2025 presidential campaign.

Thanks. I appreciate the update.

Duterte of the Philippines and to a lesser degree, the leader of North Korea. Both worthy subjects of discussion, Ultra is over there but primarily talks about Western issues.

Duterte of the Philippines and to a lesser degree, the leader of North Korea. Both worthy subjects of discussion, Ultra is over there but primarily talks about Western issues.

Just read an article in Time on Duerte - what a scumbag. Yet his approval ratings remain high. Signs of him cozying up to China and distancing his country from the US - although who knows, Trump will probably tweet him an attaboy pretty soon.

Unfortunately, the world is geo-political, if the US turns away from Duterte; Russia and China come in.

Saudi Arabia, some people don't want the UK to sell them arms; and a lot of people in Yemen have suffered over the war there that KSA is in; but if you turn away from Saudi Arabia, they will go to Russia.

Turkey has done this a bit lately.

Senegalese troops move into Gambia per the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38682184

I think this is a good thing, it sounds like that ruler in Gambia, Jammeh, who doesn't want to step down, could create a conceivable bloodbath there.

We could do with a few Senegalese troops over at Ewood to shift Coyle and the Chicken Chokers.

Nonsense. Fairy stories for the weak minded, God does not exist (in any denomination).

It's not a critique, I think that thought has been stronger in Europe for quite some time, stronger in some countries.

Some in America are that way; but it is a distinction one can see.

I'm not plugging Roxy music, they do describe that sentiment and I can find other examples as well...

Edited by Audax

Turn them into colonies again, they are clearly ill equipped to run things themselves.

Even if this was in any way desirable for the UK (which I completely fail to see how it is), or ethically defendable (which it certainly isn't) we couldn't afford it.

Teresa May and co are looking extremely foolish over the Trident test failure fiasco. While they are stonewalling in Parliament the Americans are spelling the beans on the other side of the Atlantic.

On another point - was she wearing that jacket today for a bet ? It looked like Stevie Wonder had chosen the material !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Secrecy in British government is appalling. The story was all over the internet abroad even as this idiot was speaking in the Commons with the Alternative Facts.

Trump's a despicable human being but he touches on some of the things that are rotten in government. We need someone like him here to shake up the establishment - come on down Jeremy Corbyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/23/michael-fallon-trident-alternative-facts-tories

Secrecy in British government is appalling. The story was all over the internet abroad even as this idiot was speaking in the Commons with the Alternative Facts.

Trump's a despicable human being but he touches on some of the things that are rotten in government. We need someone like him here to shake up the establishment - come on down Jeremy Corbyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/23/michael-fallon-trident-alternative-facts-tories

He can't decide on the single market never mind a countries nuclear deterent

There's another angle to this of course - Trident is US technology so by heading for Florida instead of West Africa it was following Trump policy and putting "America First". At $70 million a pop those missiles aren't cheap either so do we get a refund from the Americans to go with the bill for their defective second world war destroyers? There's also a more serious side - what is this thing had been heading towards Moscow ? Would Fallon have alerted us then as Russia began raining down nuclear missiles on the UK?

Cue one-line response from my stalker.

For once I agree with Jim, we need Jezzer more than ever. I really hope they don't lose their bottle over at Red HQ and get rid of him.

I hope the aircraft we're supposed to be buying from the US to equip our currently aircraft less aircraft carriers are a bit more successful than that missile.

Can anybody paint me a picture of the circumstances were any leader of a nation would risk world destruction by actually firing one of these missiles in anger.

I'm not sure what the hullabaloo is about over the missile. It was tested for a reason and if they go off course like any of our modern munitions it would have quickly been cut off. I am however very disappointed that someone who tried to gain political points at the expense of a system that needs maximum security.

Tyrone, I'm damn sure that there's quite a few nations that would've used them against the west by now if we didn't have the capability. It's very much 'if we're going down you're coming with us' mentality. Then again, we don't actually know what the PMs written instructions are. We can guess that Mrs T was explicit in all out retaliation but since then I'm not so sure. The is a suspicion that Blair's orders was for the fleet to head to Australia or NZ presuming they've remained unaffected and for the government to take it from there.