Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

Can anybody paint me a picture of the circumstances were any leader of a nation would risk world destruction by actually firing one of these missiles in anger.

Literal world destruction is impossible, they're nuclear weapons, not the death star. Nuclear winter would take a war with minimum 100 nuclear detonations which also rules out the vast majority of circumstances.

How about if a terrorist group got hold of say 5 and was about to launch them at every major European capital, we knew roughly but not exactly the area the missiles were being launched from and had a very limited time to destroy them.

I am totally against nukes wherever possible and think disarmament of the huge hordes of the US and Russia should continue at a brisk pace. But scrapping the UK's nuclear deterrent would be foolish. The technology cannot be unlearned and sooner or later some idiots will get hold of one and try holding the world to ransom.

Literal world destruction is impossible, they're nuclear weapons, not the death star. Nuclear winter would take a war with minimum 100 nuclear detonations which also rules out the vast majority of circumstances.

How about if a terrorist group got hold of say 5 and was about to launch them at every major European capital, we knew roughly but not exactly the area the missiles were being launched from and had a very limited time to destroy them.

I am totally against nukes wherever possible and think disarmament of the huge hordes of the US and Russia should continue at a brisk pace. But scrapping the UK's nuclear deterrent would be foolish. The technology cannot be unlearned and sooner or later some idiots will get hold of one and try holding the world to ransom.

Terrorists are more likely to deliver to deliver a " dirty bomb " in the back of a Ford Transit van than with a inter continental ballistic missile.

Bolt loses treble treble after relay mate Nesta Carter tested positive in 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/38744846

"Usain Bolt will have to hand back one of his nine Olympic gold medals..."

Will he? What if he refuses?

He'll probably just go and win a couple more to replace it. It's not really his fault is it.

Edited by Al

There's another angle to this of course - Trident is US technology so by heading for Florida instead of West Africa it was following Trump policy and putting "America First". At $70 million a pop those missiles aren't cheap either so do we get a refund from the Americans to go with the bill for their defective second world war destroyers? There's also a more serious side - what is this thing had been heading towards Moscow ? Would Fallon have alerted us then as Russia began raining down nuclear missiles on the UK?

Cue one-line response from my stalker.

:lol:

You are correct, I saw some story the other day, where a drink and drive case saw the driver who killed another given a lenient sentence; I forget exactly what now; but it perturbed me. I just wanted to forget about it.

In case this was missed.

I do see this was posted in the football forum; it certainly is a long article on the Rovers in the NY Times not to be missed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/sports/soccer/blackpool-fc-blackburn-rovers-fa-cup.html

I read it all on my phone, in case this website gives a pay wall; maybe you can read it over the phone.

Edited by Audax

Cotswold Chase: Many Clouds dies after beating Thistlecrack at Cheltenham

Many Clouds collapsed and died after narrowly beating Thistlecrack to win the Cotswold Chase at Cheltenham's Festival Trials Day.

King George winner Thistlecrack caught Many Clouds close to the finish but the 2015 Grand National winner, ridden by Leighton Aspell, fought back to win.

Many Clouds collapsed after the winning post and was treated by veterinary staff before he was pronounced dead.

Trainer Oliver Sherwood said the 10-year-old was the "horse of a lifetime".

More: http://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/38782368

Not sure if there is much to say on this. Just posting.

Not sure if there is much to say on this. Just posting.

We were out in Spain when that Grand National was being run. Unusually it was really cloudy that morning. My wife was on the phone to her son back in England, she was gazing out of the window whilst her son was reading out the runners.

When he got to " Many Clouds " she said " That's the one, put a £5 on it for me ! "

Trust my wife to win.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

More evidence of right wing Tory bias at the BBC today with the appointment of London Evening Standard editor Sarah Sands as editor of the Today programme.

During 5 years in charge at the Standard, she backed the Tory candidates Johnson and Goldsmith for London mayor and urged readers to vote Tory at the 2015 election. She herself said she voted Tory.

Sands follows in the footsteps of James Harding, who left the tax-dodging billionaire Rupert Murdoch's right wing organ The Times in 2013 to become head of BBC News.

The prestigious Radio 4 Today programme has 7m listeners each week and continues to set the UK daily news agenda. Sands says she is not "ideological" and the BBC Trust is compelled by statute to ensure impartiality at the BBC but this continuing and openly transparent right wing bias needs to be reined in. 

I can't believe that you consider the BBC anything other than left wing.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

More evidence of right wing Tory bias at the BBC today with the appointment of London Evening Standard editor Sarah Sands as editor of the Today programme.

During 5 years in charge at the Standard, she backed the Tory candidates Johnson and Goldsmith for London mayor and urged readers to vote Tory at the 2015 election. She herself said she voted Tory.

Sands follows in the footsteps of James Harding, who left the tax-dodging billionaire Rupert Murdoch's right wing organ The Times in 2013 to become head of BBC News.

The prestigious Radio 4 Today programme has 7m listeners each week and continues to set the UK daily news agenda. Sands says she is not "ideological" and the BBC Trust is compelled by statute to ensure impartiality at the BBC but this continuing and openly transparent right wing bias needs to be reined in. 

She's another right wing dog breath like that Laura what's her name

Just now, Al said:

I've provided plenty of evidence why it's biased towards the right. Where's your evidence (the Daily Express and Daily Mail don't count by the way)?

2 hours ago, Al said:

Me neither, it's bizarre. They've spent the last few days as literally the cheerleaders for the block Trump petition, giddily/gleefully devoting the main headline slot to it's every passing of a numerical landmark.

Read an article shortly after Trump's victory by an American journo who said the modern newsroom is practically pathological in its dedication to equal representation of all skin colours, genders and sexual orientations. Nothing particularly wrong with that if a little obsessive. But what certainly isn't allowed equal representation is political viewpoints and you can guess who's getting squeezed out. The same types who are getting squeezed out in student unions when a certified anti-semitist is voted in as president of the NUS. And as a result, this is the increasingly one sided product the BBC churns out.

47 minutes ago, Steve Kean's Hypnotoad said:

Me neither, it's bizarre. They've spent the last few days as literally the cheerleaders for the block Trump petition, giddily/gleefully devoting the main headline slot to it's every passing of a numerical landmark.

What do you expect? The Trump travel ban has reverberated around the world and is headline news in every country I would imagine. The petition was mentioned on the news tonight because it has become the biggest of its kind in this country - no news organisation is going to ignore a story like that. Trying to extrapolate some political bias out of it is ludicrous. 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

What do you expect? The Trump travel ban has reverberated around the world and is headline news in every country I would imagine. The petition was mentioned on the news tonight because it has become the biggest of its kind in this country - no news organisation is going to ignore a story like that. Trying to extrapolate some political bias out of it is ludicrous. 

Why? It wasn't headline news when any of the numerous Muslim countries banned Israelis from travelling there, wasn't news when numerous Muslim countries refused entry to any refugees, is never news when another of Pakistan's hunted Christian community is dragged before one of the government's kangaroo courts for "offending Islam". Couldn't be that the BBC are biased and suffer from the same acute myopia as the rest of the political left could it?

Could it be that they aren't as important stories? Trump is the so-called head of the "free world", is probably the most contentious president to sit in the White House and is intent on stirring up the world order of the past 40 years. What's going on at present is BIG NEWS matey, not a political game played by news editors at the BBC. If you want your diet of right wing fodder why not tune in to the Today programme on Radio 4, now edited by the arch Tory Sarah Sands? Rumour has it she's going to rename it "Good Morning Ukippers". 

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Could it be that they aren't as important stories? Trump is the so-called head of the "free world", is probably the most contentious president to sit in the White House and is intent on stirring up the world order of the past 40 years. What's going on at present is BIG NEWS matey, not a political game played by news editors at the BBC. If you want your diet of right wing fodder why not tune in to the Today programme on Radio 4, now edited by the arch Tory Sarah Sands? Rumour has it she's going to rename it "Good Morning Ukippers". 

So the BBC aren't right-wing now? Otherwise I could just go on their website for my diet surely.

It's strange how the despicable goings on in many countries are never considered important by liberal media. Never mind that they're much worse than Trump. Whats much worse isn't important, it's who liberals feel comfortable targeting thats important.

China has appalling religious, press and general human rights for decades - ignore. Trump temporarily bans immigration from 7 terrorist hotbeds - go mental.

Palestinians only ever elect globally recognised terrorist groups to govern them and continually lob rockets at Israel - ignore. Israel retaliates - go mental.

Tens of thousands of white children are systematically raped, beaten and prostituted by racially motivated Asian gangs who see them as human trash - ignore. 40% rise in hate crimes (mostly verbal assault) for a few months after Brexit - go mental.

I occasionally contemplate what it'd be like joining this modern-day endlessly protesting liberal faith militant for an easier life. But just can't conceieve of being comfortable with the pure biased stupidity of taking to the streets at every utterance of Trump whilst, for example, the prime suspect in a Delhi terrorist attack that killed 166 people has been sheltered by the Pakistan government for the past 8 years and not a single member of the activist brigade gives a damn.

Ah, but thats less important because some left-wing activist leader says it is. And who wouldn't assign them moral compass duty. Apart from that one guy, Lee Rigby's killer who spoke at a UAF rally in 2009. But the rest of them!

None of those stories have been "ignored". . 

It's still astonishing that anyone could think the BBC is "left wing" when all its heads of news and most of its poltical commentators have connections to the Tory party. The right wing has got most of the print media stitched up and with Tory figures such as Sands, Harding, Kuennsberg, Robinson, Neil, Lansdale et al in post at the BBC it's got our national broadcaster on its side too. 

That's the real scandal - not some perceived slight by the right that the biggest poltical story for decades is making big headlines every day at the moment. 

16 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I've provided plenty of evidence why it's biased towards the right. Where's your evidence (the Daily Express and Daily Mail don't count by the way)?

I don't remember any evidence. It would be hard anyway because they are definitely left biased. By the way any of your quotes from the Guardian and the Independent don't count either.