Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38760612

"A cross-party commission of MPs is investigating loneliness in the UK, which it says is an epidemic affecting people of all ages and backgrounds. Here, two young women share their stories."

What a blummin joke they are. If they ever give a damn about something like prostate cancer enough to do an article on it, will we have 2 young women sharing their stories on that too?

Edited by Steve Kean's Hypnotoad

Here we go Jim, perfect way to decide on the BBC's bias. Rival Trump petition about to top 100,000. Let's see whether the BBC devotes all major articles to it for the next couple of days like they did with the banning one shall we. I can't see any articles at all so far, my phone must be broken.

Just now, Steve Kean's Hypnotoad said:

Here we go Jim, perfect way to decide on the BBC's bias. Rival Trump petition about to top 100,000. Let's see whether the BBC devotes all major articles to it for the next couple of days like they did with the banning one shall we. I can't see any articles at all so far, my phone must be broken.

I doubt it will attract as much news attention but that's not the point and you just don't get it. The UK anti-Trump petition is part of a worldwide protest against his presidency. It's history-making and unprecedented. It's nowt to do with politics and any perceived bias on your part.  You'll never make it as a news editor - the paper would close within a week.

47 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I doubt it will attract as much news attention but that's not the point and you just don't get it. The UK anti-Trump petition is part of a worldwide protest against his presidency. It's history-making and unprecedented. It's nowt to do with politics and any perceived bias on your part.  You'll never make it as a news editor - the paper would close within a week.

No it won't attract even 1% as much news attention because the media are phenomenally biased, regardless of how you make excuses and dress it up. Biased during Brexit, biased during the US election and biased in their coverage right now. Whatever though, if the BBC/Guardian/Independent think this mass brainwashing will work, they clearly haven't asked their mates across the pond at the New York Times/Washington Post how the campaign to deny Trump turned out.

How it turned out is such publications went to war with Trump from the off over the wall/Muslim issues, completely turned large sections of the American public against them, and then anything they had to say later down the line about his groping women comment or refusal to release his tax returns fell on completely deaf ears. The exact same is going to start happening here if the likes of the BBC carry on as they are doing. There appears to be a mass delusion in the media at present of massively over-estimating their ability to indoctrinate people and massively under-estimating the extent to which they are despised.

2 hours ago, Steve Kean's Hypnotoad said:

No it won't attract even 1% as much news attention because the media are phenomenally biased, regardless of how you make excuses and dress it up. Biased during Brexit, biased during the US election and biased in their coverage right now. Whatever though, if the BBC/Guardian/Independent think this mass brainwashing will work, they clearly haven't asked their mates across the pond at the New York Times/Washington Post how the campaign to deny Trump turned out.

How it turned out is such publications went to war with Trump from the off over the wall/Muslim issues, completely turned large sections of the American public against them, and then anything they had to say later down the line about his groping women comment or refusal to release his tax returns fell on completely deaf ears. The exact same is going to start happening here if the likes of the BBC carry on as they are doing. There appears to be a mass delusion in the media at present of massively over-estimating their ability to indoctrinate people and massively under-estimating the extent to which they are despised.

Alternative Facts in action. 

22 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

She's another right wing dog breath like that Laura what's her name

Can we use the term "Another Muslim dog breath" TS or would that just demonstrate Prejudice and Bigotry? 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If the cap fits - wear it.

And not only are you wearing it, you've put on show for the world to see!  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38836536

Another horrible year for the dwindling UK Jewish community. Got my suspicions about what's driving this and it ain't Neo-Nazis and Brexiteers as the BBC like to make out. Very sad to see though, 1,300 anti-Semitic incidents on a population down to just 270,000 is appalling. Once Jews are persecuted to a bare few, who'll be next? If I was Sikh I'd be concerned.

You need to look at what's going on in Israel - Palestine - The West Bank. Lots of right thinking people are disgusted by the Israeli bullying tactics and theft of land.  Some Jews  living in this country strongly identify with  the Israeli governments actions.  A few people then take that disgust further.  Bullies have never been popular in this country and we have a proud record of standing up to them. I don't condone anti semitism in any way but  you don't have to be a genius to see why it's happening.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need to look at what's going on in Israel - Palestine - The West Bank. Lots of right thinking people are disgusted by the Israeli bullying tactics and theft of land.  Some Jews  living in this country strongly identify with  the Israeli governments actions.  A few people then take that disgust further.  Bullies have never been popular in this country and we have a proud record of standing up to them. I don't condone anti semitism in any way but  you don't have to be a genius to see why it's happening.

And I'm disgusted by Palestinians choice of government for the last 12 years. Not content with Fatah's relatively moderate approach and desire for a 2-state solution, they instead elected a violent globally-recognised terrorist organisation who's only interest is Jihad against Israel. Evidently because Hamas best represents the attitude of the Palestinian people.

"I don't condone anti-Semitism in any way". Sorry but that's exactly what you're doing. Excusing violent racists for their actions because apparently they're right to be disgusted. I don't see why its happening because its totally unjustifiable in every respect. Do the scum carrying out these attacks know the Jew they're attacking is one who strongly identifies with the Israeli government's actions? No, they have no idea and they don't care in the slightest.

When I was at college we had a history trip to somewhere in Manchester (forgotten where) and passed through Cheetham Hill. One of my Muslim friends (who's now a councillor unnervingly) started hopping around the coach shouting "Spot the Jew!" and excitedly pointing at anyone wearing a Kippah or Tallit. Needless to say I was horrified.

They got fed up with Fatah because Fatah were being given the runaround by the Israeli governmement. A blind man on a galloping horse can see that the Israeli government has no real intention of negotiating with the Palestinians. They just want the US and the West to look the other way whilst they carry on building new settlements on occupied land. 

The Israelis have brought this grief on themselves by their aggressive land grabbing  policies. I can be relatively dispassionate about this to a certain extent because it's not my land, if it was I might be throwing stones as well.

Criticism of the actions of the State Of Israel and their supporters in the UK and elsewhere does not make anybody an anti-Semite no matter how much you try to paint that picture.

I've go through Cheetham Hill frequently. It would be almost as easy to play spot the non-Jew.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They got fed up with Fatah because Fatah were being given the runaround by the Israeli governmement. A blind man on a galloping horse can see that the Israeli government has no real intention of negotiating with the Palestinians. They just want the US and the West to look the other way whilst they carry on building new settlements on occupied land. 

The Israelis have brought this grief on themselves by their aggressive land grabbing  policies. I can be relatively dispassionate about this to a certain extent because it's not my land, if it was I might be throwing stones as well.

I've go through Cheetham Hill frequently. It would be almost as easy to play spot the non-Jew.

You do know the Kingdom of Israel was the first country to occupy the land of Israel without taking it by force right? I expect you'd be in a small minority of Israel-bashers if you did, their general knowledge on the subject is abysmal, no time for it when there's hostility to preach.

The Assyrian empire conquered it from Israel in 722BC, the Babylonians conquered it in 586BC, Persia in 538BC, then Alexander the Great's descendants, the Roman Empire, the Rashidun Caliphate, the Crusaders, the Egyptians and then the Ottoman Empire which leads us to present day problems. In the Ottoman Empire the region had numerous names and was inhabited by numerous religions. We artificially created the country of Palestine in 1920 and the UN artificially created the country of Israel in 1947. So any claim Israel doesn't have a right to exist (as many Muslim countries do) is total rubbish.

In terms of land grabbing, I disagree with it but the main stages occurred after it was attacked by its neighbours in 1947 and 1968. As for modern day events, well right at this second the Israeli government is forcibly removing settlers from Amona and lets hope that attitude continues. But to sympathise with attacks on Jews in this country by referencing events 5,000 miles away is both ridiculous and deplorable in my opinion. You mentioned your support for assaulting fascists in the Brexit topic, well anti-Semites are exactly that, whether they choose to call themselves that or not.

Just now, Steve Kean's Hypnotoad said:You do know the Kingdom of Israel was the first country to occupy the land of Israel without taking it by force right? I expect you'd be in a small minority of Israel-bashers if you did, their general knowledge on the subject is abysmal, no time for it when there's hostility to preach.

The Assyrian empire conquered it from Israel in 722BC, the Babylonians conquered it in 586BC, Persia in 538BC, then Alexander the Great's descendants, the Roman Empire, the Rashidun Caliphate, the Crusaders, the Egyptians and then the Ottoman Empire which leads us to present day problems. In the Ottoman Empire the region had numerous names and was inhabited by numerous religions. We artificially created the country of Palestine in 1920 and the UN artificially created the country of Israel in 1947. So any claim Israel doesn't have a right to exist (as many Muslim countries do) is total rubbish.

In terms of land grabbing, I disagree with it but the main stages occurred after it was attacked by its neighbours in 1947 and 1968. As for modern day events, well right at this second the Israeli government is forcibly removing settlers from Amona and lets hope that attitude continues. But to sympathise with attacks on Jews in this country by referencing events 5,000 miles away is both ridiculous and deplorable in my opinion. You mentioned your support for assaulting fascists in the Brexit topic, well anti-Semites are exactly that, whether they choose to call themselves that or not.

You're not listening. You bemoaned the fact that assaults, both verbal and physical, on Jews are increasing.  I proffered my opinion as to why that might be. You can take or leave my opinion because that's all it is - my opinion.

Why  pose a question then provide your own answer ?

I'm strongly in favour of Israel and the Jewish people having their own country. I'm also quite dismayed at the Israeli's treatment of the Palestinians.

Does that make me an aniti semitic Zionist? I'm confused.

The problem with Israel, and some Jewish people at the moment, is whenever anyone ties to tell Isael that they feel their treatment of the Palestinians is unfair the Israelis try to close down the discussion by claiming anti semitism

I was growing up the at the time of the 6 day war in 1968. I was fully behind Israeli actions at that time because I believed they were in the right.  It appears that subsequent Israeli governments have developed a liking for military action instead of diplomacy. Especially since the US threw it's weight behind them. It may be successful in the short term but long term it's frought with danger both for Israel and the rest of the world.

On 31/01/2017 at 2:07 PM, Steve Kean's Hypnotoad said:

Funnily enough. Not one mention of it on the 6 o'clock news. Same with the violent protests in Berkeley.

Just now, Husky said:

Funnily enough. Not one mention of it on the 6 o'clock news. Same with the violent protests in Berkeley.

I saw one article from the right-wing BBC about the bloke who started it being proud. I assume the readers had to go find out from other sources what he was even talking about given the beebs failure to mention it at any other point.

Not often I get to praise Ricky Gervais, but I think the way he talks about atheism here is fantastic. He manages to get his point across without belittling those of faith:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/uproxx.com/tv/ricky-gervais-stephen-colbert-debate-religion/amp/?client=ms-android-tmobile-gb