Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

I was adding to the point Mike E made so stop being such a hyper sensitive, insulting so and so. Brexit is in the news, and I make no apologies for commenting on the news Mike E expressed and thus  criticising your religion. You are not a moderator so therefore you have no power or right to tell me what I can add to.

Not my religion pal, it’s you remoaners that are so precious about it. 

I think you need to calm down, hate to think how you’ll be on the 1st November lol

Brexit may be in the news but it’s got its own thread to discuss, it’s not difficult to understand really. 

Edited by old darwen blue

A key advisor to Jeremy Corbyn has reportedly quit saying the Labour leader cannot win the next general election.

In a significant blow to Corbyn, Andrew Fisher, who masterminded the party’s 2017 manifesto, said he no longer had faith that Labour would be successful.

Fisher wrote a memo to colleagues, the Sunday Times reports, saying members of Corbyn’s team had a “lack of professionalism, competence and human decency”. He also accused them of making a “blizzard of lies and excuses” and apparently claimed that the highest ranks of the party were engaged in “class war”.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/key-labour-aide-quits-over-lack-of-competence-and-decency-in-corbyns-team/ar-AAHDUOn?ocid=spartanntp

'I came to Peru to survive': Venezuelans migrating for HIV drugs

Darwin Zerpa is among those who have fled to Peru to get the antiretrovirals he needs. Now he counsels others with the virus

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/feb/21/peru-survive-venezuelans-migrating-hiv-drugs

Trinidad & Tobago government unimpressed with BBC report on Venezuelan refugees

Many citizens feel the report is not an accurate portrayal

Posted 23 September 2019 16:33 GMT  

A recent episode of the BBC series, “The Displaced”, focuses on the lives of Venezuelans who have come to Trinidad to seek asylum, as well as the legislative measures taken to accommodate the more than 40,000 arrivals from the beleaguered South American nation.

Trinidad is just 7 miles from Venezuela but has 40,000 refugees. I won't say a thing about Maduro, Venezuela, Government.

One can really be proud as to the hardships these migrants go through, if all one does is defend that tyranny.

Edited by Audax

Can someone help me out?

Greta Thunberg preaches the exact same message as David Attenborough.

Why is the treatment of either (in audacity, force, and vitriol) so different from the other?

It's because she is young. And probably because she is female. A lot of the most insulting and vicious critics are the sort who complain that young people are lazy, and only care about playing on the PlayStation. So when a teenage girl comes along and really campaigns for a cause they hate her for going against their prejudices. She is also standing against freebooting capitalism that the nationalist right love.

On 04/10/2019 at 21:48, Norbert Rassragr said:

It's because she is young. And probably because she is female. A lot of the most insulting and vicious critics are the sort who complain that young people are lazy, and only care about playing on the PlayStation. So when a teenage girl comes along and really campaigns for a cause they hate her for going against their prejudices. She is also standing against freebooting capitalism that the nationalist right love.

Think you are right on both counts, plus the added factor of the fossil fuel industry back handers and because she is a easier target than Attenborough, probably calculated less of a backlash in their view and less of a chance any rebuke from her carrying the same weight as one from Attenborough.

The most high profile vocal critics in Australia who deem themselves the moral compass have all in the past supported those accused of child abuse,  and more recently supported (pre and post)  the convicted Chief Vatican pedo George Pell of which a couple were in his social circle. Maybe they have a thing against children/ young people speaking out?, just a thought.     

One of the biggest "moral media" critics is Alan Jones (mr Moral), he hates women, young people, minorities,  etc  loves london public toilets though, you may have heard of the controversy recently regarding NZ PM Jacinda Ardern  when he wanted somebody to "shove a sock down her throat "and give her " a few backhanders". A few years ago he did an hatchet job against the female PM of Australia at the time. Link above shows what kind of chap he is

They also get lovely pressies from the fossil fuel industry ;)

As for her critics amongst politicians here , they are mainly  the fossil fuel backed Nationals/ Liberals nutty  Christian right  axis, led by the Australian PM , a member of and  guided by the Hillsong cult, who are looking forward to something in their fictional story book ,called the rapture (its the sky faries will that the world will end and members of the cult will be saved in the sky faries spaceship and meet their dead relatives , or some shit like that) , he also loves coal money and coal, even takes it to work with him (not photoshopped). So watching the world burn to him and his cult is like us looking forward to Christmas :)

8256064-3x2-940x627.jpg

The hillsong cult also as a shady history particularly its founder and the lengths the cult went/go to make things go away.

A look at Scumo's voting record also is some indication on his views on anybody putting forward an argument for climate  action https://theyvoteforyou.org.au/people/representatives/cook/scott_morrison

So basically as far as her most vocal Australian critics in my view ,on the surface it seems the common factors are fossil fuel money and a strange view on abusers of children and the role that children/young people should play.

Edited by perthblue02

@perthblue02 Thought this was an interesting take from your neck of the woods.

Greta seems to be a person of action to match her words.

A lot of the rest of the youth stood out with placards shouting at us older generation are actually doing very little themselves to enact change. 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/23/first-picture-lorry-driver-arrested-39-bodies-discovered-essex-10971264/

Strange one. 39 corpses found in a container lorry in Essex. The driver has been arrested

Feel a bit sorry for the driver. From the sounds of it, he just collected a pre-delivered trailer from the ferry. Wrong place, wrong time. He didn't actually drive the lorry from its origin point, but now his identity has been plastered all over the Red Tops.

If they were migrants, I am a little ambivalent about their fate. Sorry, but there were plenty of safe places between here and Bulgaria they could've tried but instead there was a reason they wanted to come to the UK. RIP though. Horrible way to go.

Edited by Amo

Just now, Amo said:

If they were migrants, I am a little ambivalent about their fate. 

They froze to death. Lovely comment. 

Edited by jim mk2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

They froze to death. Lovely comment. 

Which may have been avoided if they weren't so dead-set (no pun intended) on coming here illegally.

Edited by Amo

Just now, Amo said:

Which may have been avoided if they weren't so dead-set (no pun intended) on coming here illegally.

It is such a shame that people resort to these risky and harmful strategies. Sad story in general, but absolutely agree that this problem is something that all 39 of those people should've taken into consideration.

There's a very good chance that these weren't 'migrants' as such - all Chinese nationals so some sort of organised crime is likely to be involved, either trafficking or triad punishment.

On 24/10/2019 at 06:35, JoeH said:

It is such a shame that people resort to these risky and harmful strategies. Sad story in general, but absolutely agree that this problem is something that all 39 of those people should've taken into consideration.

Imagine taking it into consideration and STILL deciding it was a risk worth taking.

I hope yours and Amo's comments aren't reflective of your genuine empathy for others.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Imagine taking it into consideration and STILL deciding it was a risk worth taking.

I hope yours and Amo's comments aren't reflective of your genuine empathy for others.

What? I am sympathising. I clearly stated its a sad day when people feel the need to do this. I am ALSO stating that this shows why that risk isn't worth taking. I didn't once show a lack of empathy or respect.......

The British government must take the blame for these, and almost all other 'immigrant' deaths.

That truckful of people were safely in France and Belgium etc. (In fact according to one of the dead girl's publicised photos she seemed to be enjoying some kind of Eurotrip), but still pushed on to the Mecca of free handouts.

What exactly is so wrong with France anyway? It seems a lot of Brits have been clambering to move there pre-Brexit (including rich Brexiteers like Nigel Lawson). Is it the Yellow Vest War people are fleeing from?.... Though The French don't seem to be fleeing from it.🤔

Edited by Husky

On 24/10/2019 at 12:30, Amo said:

Must one be so cold?

Edited by Husky

14 hours ago, JoeH said:

What? I am sympathising. I clearly stated its a sad day when people feel the need to do this. I am ALSO stating that this shows why that risk isn't worth taking. I didn't once show a lack of empathy or respect.......

Apologies, I realise I was being quite unfair.

What bugs me is there will be people who turn it into 'we must stop immigrants getting our benefits' instead of 'what can we do to help them in their own country?'

Just now, Mike E said:

Apologies, I realise I was being quite unfair.

What bugs me is there will be people who turn it into 'we must stop immigrants getting our benefits' instead of 'what can we do to help them in their own country?'

Both lines of thought are valid.

There is a perception in Asia that there are more jobs and a better network of fellow Asians in the UK.

You will find the 39 will have bought a package from their agent:

Travel + a job + six months accommodation + English lessons

Girls will be going to nail bars and boys to labouring. 

Yes some get tricked and trapped into prostitution but those are picked off in much smaller groups than these.

The key point is they are not going to the UK for handouts. 

15 hours ago, Husky said:

That truckful of people were safely in France and Belgium etc. (In fact according to one of the dead girl's publicised photos she seemed to be enjoying some kind of Eurotrip), but still pushed on to the Mecca of free handouts.

49 minutes ago, philipl said:

There is a perception in Asia that there are more jobs and a better network of fellow Asians in the UK.

You will find the 39 will have bought a package from their agent:

Travel + a job + six months accommodation + English lessons

Girls will be going to nail bars and boys to labouring. 

Yes some get tricked and trapped into prostitution but those are picked off in much smaller groups than these.

The key point is they are not going to the UK for handouts. 

No non-EEA immigrant - be they legal or, of course, illegal - would have any hope of claiming any public funds.

It is a lie that has been spread and gone uncorrected for years. Non-EEA immigrants do not get any of the following:

• Means-tested benefits such as income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Child Benefit
  • Social Fund payments
  • Council Tax reduction
  • Domestic rate relief (Northern Ireland)
  • Extra-costs disability benefits including Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Personal Independence Payment
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • an allocation of local authority housing
  • local authority homelessness assistance

Read this if you want to know all the ins and outs: https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06847

Illegal immigrants would not dare apply for these benefits anyway - they kind of want to keep a low profile. Illegal immigrants go to the UK to work. Full stop. They work, they send the money home, and then they leave.  It is the employers and criminal gangs that need to be the focus of police efforts - that's how to prevent things like this happening. 

Meanwhile, this tragic event should not be used by anti-immigration types to further muddy the waters.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/29/climate/coastal-cities-underwater.html

At the moment we are getting nothing but bad news on the climate emergency.

Not only efforts to counteract it are feeble but scientists are increasingly re-visiting their calculations and coming up with worse projections. 

This article shows that coastal inundation by 2050 will be far worse than previously envisaged.