Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

News Thread Attempt 394

Just now, Audax said:

There is a book by Michael Nest called Coltan , that is a decent read regarding the Coltan industry and its influence on conflicts , politics etc, worth tracking down or getting from a library.

It was amongst a box of books I got from a garage sale and turned out to be a hidden gem. The beauty of living near a big uni always plenty of books going cheap :)

Edited by perthblue02

10 hours ago, Husky said:

Beckham Clinton

'UNLESS IT'S A KNIGHTHOOD, F*** OFF'

:lol:

Beckhamcryyy.jpg

Beckham's true colours come to the fore. He wasn't that good a footballer really. Overrated all his career.

3 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Funny enough the story not being widely spread and no moral outrage from the usual suspects on twitter and elsewhere, no marches being organised by outraged women, no two bit celebrities mentioning it, Lilly Allen especially very quiet , No MP's expressing their disgust, no students attacking waste bins ,all very strange , wonder why? Still tweeting about that racist and sexist trump and those nasty Britexeers though.

Moral compasses are strange things aren't they thought this story would tick the boxes of everything that they seem to be offended about.

Must admit I find child sex abuse very horrific, must not be a big enough bandwagon to jump on for some

We are not allowed to criticise Muslims.

Just now, Al said:

Beckham's true colours come to the fore. He wasn't that good a footballer really. Overrated all his career.

I've got to agree with that. I never saw him dribble around a oponent once, ever ! One of the best strikers of a football I've seen but after that you've said it.

4 hours ago, Steve Moss said:

Rotherham rapists shouting Allahu Akbar as sentenced to decades in prison. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2769601/rotherham-sex-abuse-gang-allahu-akbar-jailed/

Apart from the heinous crimes of course - one of the most shocking things about this is that the paedos had 'supporters'.

Whilst on this story I'm still waiting for someone to come up with an explanation as to why the ultra-right wing BBC decided to omit the names of and any photo of these men on the main TV news when they were initially convicted a couple of months or so back. Which is standard procedure.

Edited by Husky

The attack on the Mosque in Quebec highlighted a major flaw with today's culture of breaking news, the news outlets in a rush to be the first named a chap as one of the suspects making a big deal that he was of Moroccan descent. Turns out he was just a witness and maybe not even of Moroccan descent.

If you ever watch the news when one of these situations is unfolding they are so quick to try and break the news they don't even seem to validate it, every situation has a second shooter at large when that hardly ever transpires. Fox seems to be the worst of the bunch.

Edited by Tom

On 1/20/2017 at 10:22 PM, ultrablue said:

Just read an article in Time on Duerte - what a scumbag. Yet his approval ratings remain high. Signs of him cozying up to China and distancing his country from the US - although who knows, Trump will probably tweet him an attaboy pretty soon.

Okay, remind me to never speak to squishy minded liberals like you again, be rude if that is your one accolade, you can't argue a point, you never get any positive marks, like the paid anarchists protesting against Trump.

Just now, Audax said:

Okay, remind me to never speak to squishy minded liberals like you again, be rude if that is your one accolade, you can't argue a point, you never get any positive marks, like the paid anarchists protesting against Trump.

Where was I rude Audax? Are you offended by my condemnation of the murderous Duerte or the idea that Trump is shockingly comfortable with authoritarian leaders?

He has reiterated his respect for 'killer' Putin today.

Just now, ultrablue said:

Where was I rude Audax? Are you offended by my condemnation of the murderous Duerte or the idea that Trump is shockingly comfortable with authoritarian leaders?

He has reiterated his respect for 'killer' Putin today.

Looks like there are some very sensitive people on this site.

On 04/02/2017 at 8:12 AM, perthblue02 said:

Funny enough the story not being widely spread and no moral outrage from the usual suspects on twitter and elsewhere, no marches being organised by outraged women, no two bit celebrities mentioning it, Lilly Allen especially very quiet , No MP's expressing their disgust, no students attacking waste bins ,all very strange , wonder why? Still tweeting about that racist and sexist trump and those nasty Britexeers though.

Moral compasses are strange things aren't they thought this story would tick the boxes of everything that they seem to be offended about.

Must admit I find child sex abuse very horrific, must not be a big enough bandwagon to jump on for some

There were 23851 rapes in the UK last year. All of them are horiffic and deserve censure. That said I am unable to understand why this case specifically should is picked out by you as one we should have mass protests about. If that was the case we would have perpetual protest regarding the tens of thousands of rapes and violent crimes.

The extraordinary mass protests are linked to the comments and actions of the newly elected most powerful man in the world. 

Maybe because it is a current news story like the ones that are currently being protested about, just a surprise not a peep from certain people moreso those currently morally outraged in the UK over two democratic processes. Not sure possibly 1,400 children being groomed and abused in one town is an everyday occurance,never mind that it was knowingly kept under wraps for so long but anyway TRUMP GRRRRRRRR, Leave Voters GRRRRRRRRRR , (alledgedly) 1,400  (factually) Children groomed, sex trafficked , raped, long standing cover up - TUMBLEWEED, oh look TRUMP said something -  GRRRRRR

Perhaps you could shed some light why there is no social media meltdown about this from those that are outraged that a President in another country is doing the job he was elected to do, when this horrific story is closer to home. Why no voices screaming for those involved in a large scale child sex abuse cover up to be brought to task?

Edited by perthblue02

It's a funny old game as they say.

My team didn't win but that was something to watch.

Looks like a blowout and then, the Patriots came back.

Edited by Audax

On 6 February 2017 at 6:38 AM, perthblue02 said:

Absolute disgrace

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/06/4444-victims-extent-of-abuse-in-catholic-church-in-australia-revealed?CMP=share_btn_tw

and yes Joey before you ask , I will be watching the morally outraged reaction to this one as well.

On the subject of Australia I was listening to a programme on BBC Radio 4 about the development of robots this morning. The first programme was on the early textiles machines. Of course as we know the " Luddites " tried to smash them up.

The guy narrating the programme said " Some of the " Luddites " were hung or even worse sent to Australia ".

I'm not making this up !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, Steve Moss said:

Rotherham rapists shouting Allahu Akbar as sentenced to decades in prison. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2769601/rotherham-sex-abuse-gang-allahu-akbar-jailed/

Utterly vile. Disgusting behaviour from the 6 men and I'm sure the grooming of 2 girls for 2 years is the tiny tip of a huge iceberg of what they actually got up to when you consider the thousands of girls groomed in one smallish town alone. As for them yelling god is great on being sent down and their supporters kicking off in the court room, that literally makes me want to throw up. The idea that you have victims in there, subjected to untold abuse and yet strong enough to show up. And they have to listen to that pandemonium in defence of the scum who did that to them. Wouldn’t surprise me if the men and their supporters flung a few more insult at the girls/women while they were at it.

This fourth-wave feminism being driven online and through the media by well educated women in their 20s and 30s should be ashamed of themselves when it comes to topics such as this. They cower in fear and submission, have nothing to do with any of it, never even comment on it never mind hold protests, and leave their fellow female victims completely alone. No wonder feminism is being rejected by working class women, just like liberalism is being rejected by the working class in general. Both causes wash their hands of confronting anything so messy and worrying as reality. Much easier to plow ahead with this mindless idealism, taking on fashionable minor targets like Trump with a frenzied zeal and telling themselves how wonderful they are.