BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boycott The Lancashire Evening Telegraph

Neal

Just read the pullout today lol 2 blokes kick a ball in the snow, 3 men help clear the pitch. Meanwhile Burnley manager Harry Potts inspects Turf Moor.....

So they know who Potts is but can't identify Ronnie Clayton etc ? Anyone still think this dingle rag isn't taking the proverbial.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the pullout today lol 2 blokes kick a ball in the snow, 3 men help clear the pitch. Meanwhile Burnley manager Harry Potts inspects Turf Moor.....

So they know who Potts is but can't identify Ronnie Clayton etc ? Anyone still think this dingle rag isn't taking the proverbial.

In fairness they failed to identify a young Willie Irvine and Dave Merrington in another photograph who they described as men shovelling snow. I think it states more about the content of the photographic library at the Telegraph and the lack of captions on original old photographs.

Either way it's poor a little bit of research taking a few mins puts a few names to faces. They're before my time but iv'e seen those photos before in a couple of books and probably the Telegraph and certainly it wouldn't be difficult for some kid or whoever was doing it to put a name to Ronnie Clayton.

Not nit picking for the sake of it this time i just genuinely think it was very poor but unsurprising.

Either way it's poor a little bit of research taking a few mins puts a few names to faces. They're before my time but iv'e seen those photos before in a couple of books and probably the Telegraph and certainly it wouldn't be difficult for some kid or whoever was doing it to put a name to Ronnie Clayton.

Not nit picking for the sake of it this time i just genuinely think it was very poor but unsurprising.

No argument with any of that. Clayton and Lawther were internationals at the time and it doesn't take much work to identify both. Same with Irvine and Merrington. Clearly, the picture special was put together by someone from the newsroom, rather than the sports department, who took photos from the Picture Library and simply put their own captions to them if there were none on the back of the photo - which there usually is at the Telegraph.

Forced to read the Telegraph bullsh!t every night, it had the stuffing knocked out of him and walked out just before Christmas.

I'm cancelling our Telegraph order tomorrow. Last week was the final straw. If I want propaganda I'll buy the match programme thanks very much.

The headline writer is presumably a dingle taking the mickey. The comments on the website are beyond belief and every single day some weirdo claret is all over it in the name of humour (I suspect it's said headline writer, coupled with a couple of other Burnley fans out of the LT office - prolonging the agony for a bit of a laugh).

There's no investigative news, no questioning, no substance. Just nothing. It doesn't serve its readership, it doesn't educate, and it no longer deserves my money

Not before time, Bob!

To think my mum used to send it to me, when I was living away...and that I actually looked forward to reading it!

Pale, pale shadow...and an insult to our intelligence!

BTW I wonder if someone will see fit to belittle this post on twitter?!

Like how he refers to us as 'Rovers' throughout.

Oh to have players/managers of his quality and intergrity at the modern BRFC.

Good article, always seemed to be a genuine type of bloke rather than a big time charle

Good article, always seemed to be a genuine type of bloke rather than a big time charle

I remember well the time when I was in the old 100 club in the Nuttall Street Stand before a game. It was ten minutes to three and Howard Gayle walked in with a betting slip in his hand and turned the TV over to check his bets. Seeing him in there doing that might have been a bit of a surprise...even more so as he was in full kit with his boots on as he was in starting lineup for the game that was kicking off in less than 10 minutes.

Real character and a proper cult hero at Rovers mind you there was a few around then. When was the last time we had one ? Younger fans about today won't even know what one is, Robbo probably the last one and he ruined it after he'd left, Rudy could've have been one i suppose.

Real character and a proper cult hero at Rovers mind you there was a few around then. When was the last time we had one ? Younger fans about today won't even know what one is, Robbo probably the last one and he ruined it after he'd left, Rudy could've have been one i suppose.

Tugay for me, Samba ruined his.

I remember well the time when I was in the old 100 club in the Nuttall Street Stand before a game. It was ten minutes to three and Howard Gayle walked in with a betting slip in his hand and turned the TV over to check his bets. Seeing him in there doing that might have been a bit of a surprise...even more so as he was in full kit with his boots on as he was in starting lineup for the game that was kicking off in less than 10 Similer

Similar to you I was in the 100 club watching the racing on the telly when Howard walked up and asked what we had in the next race.

Tugay for me, Samba ruined his.

Yes Tugay and Friedel for sure and agree Samba could've been one i think he'd have been better off staying at Rovers looking at his career since. Barclays needed their 10 mill quick though and big Chris had become greedy although not sure i believe what they were putting about back then about his wage demands considering the subtle blame the player tones that always come out of the club these days every time one leaves.

I'm thinking of recent years though and the fact a lot of young fans won't know what it's like to have a player with a two way appreciation and who makes you want to get behind him at all times. A crap team needs a cult hero or two more than a good one i reckon.

• Backroom

Dunn, Jansen, Friedel, Tugay, Nelsen, Santa Cruz, Pedersen, Salgado surely?

Honourable mentions to:

Todd, Short, Thompson, Flitty, Bellamy, Samba, Savage, Bentley, Kuqi, Mokoena, McCarthy.

At one time, I adored every one of the players in our squad under Hughes.

All depends how you define it and for me it's always someone who brings something a bit different and has a real bond with the fans. Yes they need to have a huge contribution on the pitch but don't have to be the best player just a bit of stand out character.

Rhodes to a great finisher and seemed great lad but cult hero no, but that's just me an 18 year old or under may see it different.

Dunn yes, local lad and has character. Not always my cup of tea and contributions minimal at times but more down to a lack of minutes and fitness than his ability or effort. Fantastic footballer as well if we are being honest.

Archived