BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Cult Heroes

Oldgregg86

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not having it Frank Stapleton was a Rovers 'cult' hero, big name and it was nice having him, still notched a few but his legs had well gone and I don't recall him getting any hero worship really. Never forgave him for missing that pen at Villa :o

49 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Based on my Rovers supporting years: Simon Barker, Sellars, Tugay, Speedie, Friedal, Shearer, Dunn and Duff.

All top players. I suppose it depends on what is considered to be a cult hero or a legend.

Bryan Douglas, Ronnie Clayton and Alan Shearer are Legends as are Simon Garner and Derek Fazakerley to name but 5.

Tugay was both a cult hero and legend. Noel Brotherston was both to me.

All imo.

A list of one's favourite players aren't "cult" heroes. And cult heroes aren't necessarily the best players either; for instance, in the 1960s Mike Ferguson was a cult hero whereas a great player such as Bryan Douglas wasn't.  Same with the championship team where the cult player was Mark Atkins but not the likes of Shearer or Sutton.  I'd say there's only been a few cult heroes in the past 50 years - Ferguson, Atkins, Don Martin, Roger Jones,  but not many more. 

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

A list of one's favourite players aren't "cult" heroes. And cult heroes aren't necessarily the best players either; for instance, in the 1960s Mike Ferguson was a cult hero whereas a great player such as Bryan Douglas wasn't.  Same with the championship team where the cult player was Mark Atkins but not the likes of Shearer or Sutton.  I'd say there's only been a few cult heroes in the past 50 years - Ferguson, Atkins, Don Martin, Roger Jones,  but not many more. 

This.

It's all about opinions of course but for me cult hero often means something a bit different not just a club legend or best player. It can be a shooting star who come s in and lights the place up for a season or two or a guy on the books for years but only plays a bit part here and there.

Andy Kennedy might be one in some eyes although teams seemed littered with cult heros back then. His goal dance or histrionics when his hamstring popped were worthy contenders alone as were his horizontal night time activities. Not a great player by any stretch but a character for sure who could make fans laugh and cry in equal measure.

He was only around for a short time and I was only a young boy, but I fondly remember Johnny Price. The thing I remember most about him most, was he was our sub, most of the time, when you only had one sub. I remember him being diminutive and was always impressed with him when he came on. If my memory serves me correctly the Rovers fans at the time took to him and that was probably due to his lack of inches, rather than his ability. Still a cult hero in my boyhood memories and one I have never forgotten.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Ferguson a definate cult hero and damm fine footballer on his day. He could kick the trainers water bucket into row z and did.

I think Tugay gets cult status from me for his long hair, long shorts, socks rolled down and general rock star look whilst also looking unfit and a bit podgy which he wasn't. As a footballer for Rovers a Legend.

4 hours ago, JPTSwindon said:

Based on my Rovers supporting years: Simon Barker, Sellars, Tugay, Speedie, Friedal, Shearer, Dunn and Duff.

Put Faz and Garner in there and you are not far wrong. Two of my all time favourite players.

For me, Tugay, Garner, Speedie, Hendry, Friedal, Shearer.

Dunn was a fan favourite, as was Duff, but the crowd did not respond in the same way as they did for Howard Gayle for example.

Any player that gets the whole stadium standing and singing their name surely qualifies.

It's all about your personal definition.  For Premier League days, for me one would have to be Shefki.  Technically not the greatest but a 100% grafter who didn't seem to care who he was battling. set up and scored some vital goals.  Who crossed it for MGP's volley?

I always liked Bobby Svarc but my Rovers heroes arte from the early days, Martin, Kenyon, Keeley, Hawkins, Oats, Faz, Metcalfe, McKenzie, Hird, Bailey, Beamo, Heaton, Garber, Kendall, Jones and Bradshaw et al. In latter days add Sellars,, Price, Superatko, cowans, Moran, Hendry,Newell, Shearer, Ripley,Wilcox and co. We have seen some dross as well but they don't favour mention on this thread !

12 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Of all the many cults I have seen at Ewood over the years, Bradley Orr has to qualify as the biggest cult of 'em all. 

He was a complete and utter cult!

Agree re Orr.

Dougan was the first cult I recall playing for Rovers back in the day.

I view 'Cult Hero' status as someone who has support of the fans (regardless of their ability in some cases) and/or just engaged with the supporters well, whilst not necessarily being a key member of the team.

Some Cult Heroes in my time

Super Atko, Yordi, Michel Salgado, Villanueva, Rochina/

For me John Bray was a cult hero. Not a great full back by any means but a rough handful who liked to impose himself on his winger ASAP.  Ken Knighton was another. Apart from pace he had it all , he could pass, tackle, run with the ball and he had a tremendous shot in his left foot. When we sold him I knew we'd accepted relegation.

On 25 March 2017 at 7:29 PM, 4000Holes said:

Andy McEvoy great goal poacher.  God rest his soul.

Andy was more than just a goal poacher. I remember him having to stand in for Bryan Douglas in central midfield when the great man was injured. To say Dougie wasn't missed that day tells you all you need to know.

• Guest changed the title to Rovers Cult Heroes

Archived