BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer's Linkedin Profile

Amo

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Whilst all this is true regarding Venky's as the ultimate culprits responsible for the demise of the club, I don't think it should undermine the validity of criticising or critiquing other personnel at the club. 

We all know Venky's are prize plums, but should that exempt GB from criticism for being a good player recruiter but limited coach and tactician? Should it stop us calling out Steele for all his howlers, Lowe for being distinctly average, or Best and Duffy for basically just being dicks? 

The one thing that has happened at Rovers over the last half a decade is the players have got off scott free because of the Venky situation. The managers still seem to have copped a fair bit of flak, but many players have got away with murder. 

Even this season, regardless of having a chump like Coyle in charge, we have still managed to go down to League 1 with a wages budget in the top 10 of the league I think. So we have made a few more millionaires to achieve another heartbreaking relegation. 

A LOT of players have let this club down massively over the last few years, and largely gone under the radar whilst doing it. Venky's have been a great shield for many to hide behind. It all still angers me. 

I agree with much of that, and I don't think it's unfair to criticise some aspects of his results and/or performances.

I just think it's a scenario that we (hopefully) never see again. Trying to get us promoted and rebuilt after obvious criminal negligence! If it does, I will take those aspects into account whilst judging the manager in situ at the time.

As for the players- they are ultimately responsible for their performances. It's funny you mention Lowe though, especially when I've watched Emnes, Graham, Guthrie, Akpan, Ward, Brown and many more put absolutely no effort into some games this season or even turn up in Corry Evans case. One thing we definitely lose with JL is a player with the right attitude.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Gav said:

Bunkum

We'd have been in league 1 a season earlier had we kept Bowyer

Maybe your part time boycott depending on which way the winds blowing meant you missed the end of his reign?

We were heading one way, down....

Nonsense.

Bowyer was slowly turning things round after an appalling start to the season he was sacked. 3 points from the first 6 or 7 fixtures, 14 pts from his last 10 in charge. Hardly relegation form and we were 16th when he left. We finished the season 15th under Lambert, the same position he finished this season with Wolves.

I'll ignore pointless goading. Play the ball not the man, Gavin.

No one divides opinion like Gary Bowyer.

Good and bad points granted,but a man of some humility when working under Venkys and Oyston...and has made a fair stab with both........good on the finance side and a great "eye for a player" whilst capable of managing under complete chaos. Most managers would do a lot worse,the very odd one maybe better....Hope Blackpool get promoted and we play them next season.

Bowyer slowed the decline and therefore stopped relegation for a whil, but couldn't quite make a pretty good squad a play off/promotion squad. His tactics were sometimes a bit too defensive, and it seemed that in the last quarter of a match we'd be backing off and inviting the opposition to get a goal.

• Backroom

Didn't know where to put this but it kind of fits here. 

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-biggest-wage-bill-11489819

THE CHAMPIONSHIP’S BIGGEST EVER WAGE BILLS – AND HOW NEWCASTLE’S £70million PLUS TOTAL WILL SMASH THAT

1, QPR: £66.4million (2013/14

2, Norwich: £51million (2014/15)

3, Newcastle United: £45million (2009/10)

4 = Cardiff City: £42million (2014/15); West Ham £42million (2011/12)

6, Bolton Wanderers: £37.4million (2012/13)

7, Fulham: £37million (2014/15)

8, Blackburn Rovers: £36.6million (2012/13)

Interesting that the top 4 (West Ham , not Cardiff), all secured promotion using their massive wage bills, but the bottom 4 all failed. Don't know what that tells us - maybe if you're going to chuck money at it, might as well chuck a little bit more. We're a 100 million in debt, how much worse would 110 really have been, and it might just have pushed us over the line, secured promotion and resolved the debt issue within a few years. Oh well, if only. 

5 hours ago, Silas said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your disagree. 

I think Bowyer's tenure is looking worse as the years go on and you have the benefit of hindsight. Such a massive opportunity lost, and looking at our current predicament could really be seen as a massive turning point IMO, that set us down the wrong path. 

For example, the 2014/15 season he had a squad of:

Tom Cairney-                     Champ team of the year 2017. 20 million price tag.

Josh King-                          16 Prem goals 2017. 15 million price tag.

Shane Duffy-                      Just been promoted to Prem 2017.

Rude Gestede-                  20  Champ goals that season.

Jordan Rhodes-                 21 Champ goals that season.

Paul Robinson-                  Still played a few Prem matches in 2017.

Marcus Olsson-                 Played a full season 2017 in a top 10 Champ team.

Ben Marshall-                    Still scoring goals and getting assists in the Champ.

Craig Conway-                   Playing way better back then, with a yard extra pace.

Alex Baptiste-                     Played half a Champ season 2017 in team that finished 11th

Grant Hanley-                    Errrrrrr, failed at Newcastle, but International regular.

And with that squad at his disposal, Bowyer failed to "compete", and I mean compete at any time over the course of the season to even get in the Top 6 let alone think about the top of the table. That is an absolute travesty when you look at some of the squads that have competed at the top of the table this season, i.e. Reading, who may still yet go up. 

And to blame it on Willowe as an excuse to get him off the hook is weak. If anything, that highlights his deficiencies to me. We had a very competent squad that was strong enough in most areas - defence, wings, strikers - and yet it was let down week after week by the middle of the field. And was not addressed despite the supporters screaming about it game after game. 

FWIW, I like GB,wish him all the best, and hope he has a great day out at Wembley and comes back successful. He also did a lot of good at Rovers, and helped steady a massively listing ship during stormy times. But I also won't ever have it that he did anything other than fail in the grand scheme of things when you think of the opportunity we had back then, and realistically how far away we were from achieving success in the form of promotion. 

Good post. The other aspect to blaming Willowe is that it was Bowyer who made them his CM. We had a real attacking threat in that side and we didn't capitalise.

Bowyer was a decent scout and will make a decent L1/L2 manager.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

More money to spend? He got about £2 million max in 2 years which he spent on Marshall, Evans, Cairney, Gestede, Duffy and Conway = outstanding business by any measure.

Beyond that and the essential pay-offs money for players was in short supply. It seems Bowyer had to fly to India with a begging bowl to persuade Desai to stump up for those players and she only agreed on the basis that they would increase in value which she has subsequently had back with interest.

If we look at Aston Villa or Derby and the dosh they've thrown at it for results similar to Bowyer's time in charge I'm not sure how anyone could demand promotion.

If we'd have finished 3rd both seasons and lost in the play-offs would Bowyer have failed? Because the outcome would have been the same, and Venkys would still have run out of credit and stripped the place bare.

Beyond money there's the logistics. Lord only knows how many players Bowyer wanted to sign of good quality that either Venkys wouldn't sanction or wasted weeks waiting for answers like everyone else has at the club. If we'd had decisive owners or power at Ewood we might not have had to scrape the barrel with the likes of Chris Brown.

He needed more money to spend over and above the the total cost of the 35 players he brought in, some of whom cost fees as well as wages? What would the total cost of all those deals including loan fees, signing on fees, transfer fees, wages and agents fees add up to? A small fortune to a club massively in debt. He was very fortunate to get that kind of backing.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

If we'd have finished 3rd both seasons and lost in the play-offs would Bowyer have failed? Because the outcome would have been the same,

The lengths people will go to in order to defend failure is truly amazing.

The fact is that he didn't. He turned a top 6 side into a top 10 one. After that failure the cost cuts bit, Bowyer bombed, got a new job, and Rovers were just a part of his CV.

Says it all that the most noteworthy thing about Bowyer is his LinkedIn profile. 

Just now, Stuart said:

The fact is that he didn't. He turned a top 6 side into a top 10 one. After that failure the cost cuts bit, Bowyer bombed, got a new job, and Rovers were just a part of his CV.

Says it all that the most noteworthy thing about Bowyer is his LinkedIn profile. 

Top 6 side? We never were. 

Talk about inventing the truth

Bowyer took us from bottom 8 side to 2 top half finishes. 

Lets not forget the mess you took on after Kean/Appleton, Berg and Shebby era. What a mess it was. Squad was a mess. He changed the squad around and build his own squad. 

Just now, Batman. said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Tell us again how we only got relegated cos Huddersfield played their reserves one week!

No, Mary, you'll just continue to be obtuse about the point being made.

Or you're just too thick to understand it.

in with the rat Kean and the idiot Singh in discussions like this.

Berg was a case of wrong place wrong time and sacrificed on the altar of other peoples egos.

I am pleased that Berg took a big cash payout.

I prefer to remember Berg as a great player for Rovers.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Bowyer took us from bottom 8 side to 2 top half finishes. 

Lets not forget the mess you took on after Kean/Appleton, Berg and Shebby era. What a mess it was. Squad was a mess. He changed the squad around and build his own squad. 

Utter nonsense. Did you even read the post which listed the players Bowyer had at his disposal?

Bowyer's easy life was made when Agnew and Shebby left and our mythical Hero of Stability was born.

Some people are making themselves look very foolish in their eagerness to disagree with me on principle.

14 minutes ago, den said:

He needed more money to spend over and above the the total cost of the 35 players he brought in, some of whom cost fees as well as wages? What would the total cost of all those deals including loan fees, signing on fees, transfer fees, wages and agents fees add up to? A small fortune to a club massively in debt. He was very fortunate to get that kind of backing.

£2 million spread across 5 transfer windows to rebuild this club from the wreckage of Shebby Singh and Steve Kean is not a lot of money. Infact its peanuts by measure of any Championship club. Its an average window spend of £400k before any sales. For a club in receipt of parachute money that isn't good backing.

Every club and every manager pays out loan fees, signing on fees, wages and agents fees. 

Venkys think they are investing money in the club because they are paying wages that they agreed to by handing out obscene contracts. 

Investing money into a football club actually means providing cold hard cash for your manager to go out and sign quality proven players, whereas Bowyer was limited to about 6 cash signings and the rest frees and loans to replace the overpaid dross he inherited and spent half his time trying to get rid of

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He turned a top 6 side into a top 10 one.

:lol:

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yeah he build a really good squad that should have got promoted tbh but didnt. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

?

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

No, Mary, you'll just continue to be obtuse about the point being made.

Or you're just too thick to understand it.

Oh Stuart, in a battle of intellect we'd have to mop you up.

Again, you're reverting to personal insults. You're a hypocrite. 

28 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Oh Stuart, in a battle of intellect we'd have to mop you up.

Again, you're reverting to personal insults. You're a hypocrite. 

Ah right. Oh the two I had actually assumed you were just obtuse.

Sorry for any offence caused. :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Utter nonsense. Did you even read the post which listed the players Bowyer had at his disposal?

Bowyer's easy life was made when Agnew and Shebby left and our mythical Hero of Stability was born.

Some people are making themselves look very foolish in their eagerness to disagree with me on principle.

I dont need a list of players Bowyer cos I know who he had but thanks again. 

He stability the club after 30 months of a mess. 

He spent just over 3 millions on quality players. Compare that to now..

53 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

?

Stuart said we were a top 6 side. I said we werent cos we never got to that stage. 

Just now, Stuart said:

2 hours. That might actually be a record.

I suggest you look back at what you said instead of your clever attitude towards. 

Stuart said we were a top 6 side. I said we werent cos we never got to that stage. 

No he never did get us in the top 6, yet you said he should have got us promoted, so by your logic he was a failure?

I dont need a list of players Bowyer cos I know who he had but thanks again. 

He stability the club after 30 months of a mess. 

He spent just over 3 millions on quality players. Compare that to now..

I suggest you look back at what you said instead of your clever attitude towards. 

Subtlety of language is completely lost on you. The reason our "top 6 side" never got into the top 6 was...?

As far as stability if you think that was down to Bowyer (or even that we really had 'stability') then more fool you. I've already explained why we had an illusion of stability and that was to do with what wasn't going on in the board room rather than what was going on in the dressing room.

Gary Bowyer had spent the previous 10 years working at Rovers as a coach.

Under Venky's shocking ownership he was promoted to manager. So this was his first managerial position. It takes some getting used to as a football manager. Most people start their careers in lower divisions or non-league football.

He did very well "steadying the ship" and had a "good eye for a player". My only criticism of him was his lack of perception to change tactics during a game and he never knew when to use substitutes or who to use unlike Lambert and Mowbray. But they are experienced managers and GB was wet behind the ears.

I think we should have kept him. Things could have got better. We'll never know now.

Good luck to GB at Blackpool. I'm glad we have TM at least for the present.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Subtlety of language is completely lost on you. The reason our "top 6 side" never got into the top 6 was...?

As far as stability if you think that was down to Bowyer (or even that we really had 'stability') then more fool you. I've already explained why we had an illusion of stability and that was to do with what wasn't going on in the board room rather than what was going on in the dressing room.

Yet again with the I better than you attitude as per usual.

Archived