BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer's Linkedin Profile

Amo

1 hour ago, cmb211087 said:

Stop playing the victim card Chaddy, it is getting really boring. That post you quoted had nothing wrong with it.

Dont like my post then dont follow me. Nothing wrong with my post. No victim card was played just the honest truth. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowyer is a great manager to have when there are no expectations. I think he delivers decent results when there is no pressure on him. I do not think he can handle a pressure cooker situation. That is why we have come close to the playoffs under him but not quite made it there. For those who were giving examples of players we had under him, I think ALL of them were inconsistent in their performances. Cairney, King, Hanley, Olsson's {the good one and the bad one}, Rhodes, Rudy, all one dimensional players that did not work as a "TEAM" all good individual players though. That is exactly why they are flourishing at other clubs but failed at BRFC.

20 hours ago, Silas said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your disagree. 

A disagree with your disagree to my earlier disagree is coming.

I think Bowyer's tenure is looking worse as the years go on and you have the benefit of hindsight. Such a massive opportunity lost, and looking at our current predicament could really be seen as a massive turning point IMO, that set us down the wrong path. 

To blame Bowyer, even indirectly, for where we are now is frankly ludicrous.

For example, the 2014/15 season he had a squad of:

Tom Cairney-                     Champ team of the year 2017. 20 million price tag.

Bought by Bowyer. If not bought by Bowyer wouldn't have been here. You're putting the cart before the horse. In his 2nd season he was awful.

Josh King-                          16 Prem goals 2017. 15 million price tag.

Never fit. Only bothered when the camera were here. He's not a winger so would have had to drop one of Rudy or Rhodes? No guarantee he would have scored more than either of those so not really a valid argument.

Shane Duffy-                      Just been promoted to Prem 2017.

Had some errors in him when he came. Played Ok. Typical young Centre-Back. Had some good games and less good ones. Not really relevant to anything that he got promoted at Brighton. A far better midfield in front of him for a start.  Without Bowyer he wouldn't have been here anyway. Cart before horse again.

Rude Gestede-                  20  Champ goals that season.

Bought by Bowyer for a pittance. Scored more goals than he ever has or will again. Sold from under Bowyers nose. Not sure your point?

Jordan Rhodes-                 21 Champ goals that season.

not sure of your point? He's been awful since he left. Can't even get a game for Sheff W.

Paul Robinson-                  Still played a few Prem matches in 2017.

He'd just recovered from a life-threatening illness, he was very overweight  and his 'keeping was awful. He's a lot slimmer these days.

Marcus Olsson-                 Played a full season 2017 in a top 10 Champ team.

Bowyer turned him into a decent full-back. Top 10 Champ is where we were under Bowyer.  

Ben Marshall-                    Still scoring goals and getting assists in the Champ.

Had about 4 good months with Rovers in an attacking position. His best times were under Bowyer. He's scored 3 this year. Very inconsistent. That's why he went to a club like Wolves and not a club fighting for promotion.

Craig Conway-                   Playing way better back then, with a yard extra pace.

Agreed. Great signing by Bowyer to provide the ammo for Rudy

Alex Baptiste-                     Played half a Champ season 2017 in team that finished 11th

And? We finished above that under Bowyer.

Grant Hanley-                    Errrrrrr, failed at Newcastle, but International regular.

Good player for Rovers. Inconsistent. Probably why he's failed at Newcastle. Scotland are a poor side.

And with that squad at his disposal, Bowyer failed to "compete", and I mean compete at any time over the course of the season to even get in the Top 6 let alone think about the top of the table.

Fantasy. There were far better resourced clubs with far better players than ours. We had two good strikers, some inconsistent if talented midfielders and some defenders who all had a mistake in them but were good on their day. That's why those players were cheap. It's only because Bowyer got them playing better than they ever have that they were sold for big money. Like I said above you are putting the cart before the horse. Listing them and where they are now doesn't prove anything, they are at different clubs with different players in totally different circumstances. All the clubs these players have gone to have better players than Rovers did.

That is an absolute travesty when you look at some of the squads that have competed at the top of the table this season, i.e. Reading, who may still yet go up. 

Different club, different circumstances. Stam may well be a better manager than Bowyer. Again, not sure the relevance to what Bowyer did at a completely different club, with completely different players and a different budget? If your point really is that there are better managers out there than Bowyer then, yeah, obviously.

And to blame it on Willowe as an excuse to get him off the hook is weak. If anything, that highlights his deficiencies to me. We had a very competent squad that was strong enough in most areas - defence, wings, strikers - and yet it was let down week after week by the middle of the field. And was not addressed despite the supporters screaming about it game after game. 

He had the money to replace them. Once.  He bought Evans who got injured and was never any good again. He never had the money again. Willowe,as is widely recognised, were poor. Lower Championship/League 1 pairing. The centre of midfield is vital as anyone who knows anything about football will concur. Without a good one your defence is weaker and so is your attack. So it's not an 'excuse to get him off the hook', it's a fact.  A vital area of the pitch was poor.

FWIW, I like GB,wish him all the best, and hope he has a great day out at Wembley and comes back successful. He also did a lot of good at Rovers, and helped steady a massively listing ship during stormy times. But I also won't ever have it that he did anything other than fail in the grand scheme of things when you think of the opportunity we had back then, and realistically how far away we were from achieving success in the form of promotion

He did do a lot of good at Rovers, and steadied the sinking ship. That's all he could do. If you think that he should then have got promotion while the Venky's were selling his better players and not giving him the money to replace them then I think you're wrong/deluded. There were far better teams in the that league with more money anyway. To say he 'failed' is utter nonsense. With hindsight Bowyers tenure looks better and better. We're in League 1 now, relegated with the 9th largest wage bill in the Championship. It's been a disaster since Bowyer left.

Last weekend I wasted a bunch of time cleaning-up off-topic bickering, and it didn't leave me in a good mood. Today I'm starting the day in a pretty bad mood as it is, so take it to PM (if you feel you're the one in the right and it's all the other guy, do it in the knowledge you'd be doing everyone else by keeping all this out of an otherwise interesting thread) or it'll go beyond gentle nudges.

I'm really proud that since my return there have been next to no reported posts, almost no hidden posts (bar the ones mentioned above) and zero warnings or bans, but lets keep it that way. I like how the site is now, but I'm happy to do what's needed to keep it this way.

Right, back to Bowyer and no more "he said, she said" nonsense.

We got relegated with the 9th highest wage bill in the Champ, despite selling Cairney, Gestede, Olsson, Rhodes, Hanley and Duffy in recent seasons.  Now, for us to still be 9th at present time, despite few signings since those outgoings, what does that tell you about Bowyer "getting the wage bill down" and us apparently doing well to finish top half?  The high wages under Bowyer were always blamed on the legacies of Etuhu, Best, Murphy etc, yet for us to still be 9th in the wage bill stakes despite shifting a number of high earners, it points to Gaz having plentiful resources, at least in the wage department.

Bowyer fans still go on about the great players he brought in, yet contest the argument that we underachieved.  Well, did he assemble a play-off capable squad or not? We had a top 6 wage budget throughout Bowyer's tenure, even up to when he was potted I bet it was top 8.  He traded a LOT of players, with a number of them going on to play Prem football or get promoted with other teams (Duffy, Hanley, Rhodes, Gestede, King, Cairney maybe).  So did he bring in great players or did he overachieve with an average squad?  Can't have it both ways.

Want to make it clear, I don't dislike the bloke, I just think we wasted time on the supposed "stability" of plodding in mid-table of the Champ whilst waiting for FFP to bite.  We all knew it was going to hit us, Bowyer acted surprised when it did and at that point we all knew we were back to square one and there was no real chance of getting out of the Championship (edit: by the upper exit).  In that sense, we wasted (or Venky's wasted) our last chance of promotion by gambling on a youth team coach.  And look where we are now...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If Bowyer did such a great job, why didn't a team, other than League Two Oyston FC, take a chance on him?

Just now, mustard said:

We got relegated with the 9th highest wage bill in the Champ, despite selling Cairney, Gestede, Olsson, Rhodes, Hanley and Duffy in recent seasons.  Now, for us to still be 9th at present time, despite few signings since those outgoings, what does that tell you about Bowyer "getting the wage bill down" and us apparently doing well to finish top half?  The high wages under Bowyer were always blamed on the legacies of Etuhu, Best, Murphy etc, yet for us to still be 9th in the wage bill stakes despite shifting a number of high earners, it points to Gaz having plentiful resources, at least in the wage department.

Bowyer fans still go on about the great players he brought in, yet contest the argument that we underachieved.  Well, did he assemble a play-off capable squad or not? We had a top 6 wage budget throughout Bowyer's tenure, even up to when he was potted I bet it was top 8.  He traded a LOT of players, with a number of them going on to play Prem football or get promoted with other teams (Duffy, Hanley, Rhodes, Gestede, King, Cairney maybe).  So did he bring in great players or did he overachieve with an average squad?  Can't have it both ways.

Want to make it clear, I don't dislike the bloke, I just think we wasted time on the supposed "stability" of plodding in mid-table of the Champ whilst waiting for FFP to bite.  We all knew it was going to hit us, Bowyer acted surprised when it did and at that point we all knew we were back to square one and there was no real chance of getting out of the Championship (edit: by the upper exit).  In that sense, we wasted (or Venky's wasted) our last chance of promotion by gambling on a youth team coach.  And look where we are now...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If Bowyer did such a great job, why didn't a team, other than League Two Oyston FC, take a chance on him?

Very well summed up.

I wish Bowyer well too it's not his fault he wasn't up to the task, that was Venkys (or whoever was in charge).

My only frustration was watching him play for 0-0 in every game when we had the tools to go looking for a win - and bigging up every visitor to Ewood as tough opponents when he should have just focussed on us. Dyche had lesser tools and budget and created a better team - largely by setting up to attack and to win.

Just now, Stuart said:

Very well summed up.

I wish Bowyer well too it's not his fault he wasn't up to the task, that was Venkys (or whoever was in charge).

My only frustration was watching him play for 0-0 in every game when we had the tools to go looking for a win - and bigging up every visitor to Ewood as tough opponents when he should have just focussed on us. Dyche had lesser tools and budget and created a better team - largely by setting up to attack and to win.

IMG_0295.JPG

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wigan considering  a move for bowyer as their manager. 

where is this from?

On Gestede, his best form came under playing for Bowyer who set the team up from him by playing with Conway and crossing the ball. never look the same player since he left Rovers. 2 moves to Villa and Boro and still not playing or to his strengths

Just now, Stuart said:

Very well summed up.

Completely wrong. Dyche has a specific way of playing and it certainly isn't to attack the opposition. It wasn't in the Championship either. Watch the last two games we played against them, under both Bowyer and Lambert. We had all the chances, made all the running, but they defended deep and in numbers and nicked a goal in both games. That's the Dyche way.

24 minutes ago, mustard said:

It points to a lot of historical wage issues, and the fact that Lowe, Henley, Stokes, Graham and Mulgrew etc are on big money. You can't blame Bowyer for contracts handed out when he wasn't here.(apart from the Lowe one)

Bowyer brought in cheap players and made them worth a lot more. That's different to buying great players and having a top 6 squad. That's not 'having it both ways', that was me at the swingers party last night.

You need to ring round the chairman of all the other football clubs to find out the answer to your last question.

Just now, Stuart said:

Very well summed up.

People say Cairney wasn't up to playing CM back then, but I struggle to see how he could have done any worse compared to the Evans / Willo / Lowe pairings.  They left us with not only gaping holes but a lack of mobility, the inability to get ourselves on the ball and make a forward pass and we constantly sat back and invited pressure.  I wasn't sure if this was due to Bowyer's sit-back tactics or the players themselves, but it was clear to all that's where the weakness was, but we never addressed it.

I'd argue Lowe regressed further under Bowyer and went from a combative CM who had been an u21 international to a static shell of a player.  I know Kean et al played their part in hindering Lowe's development, but Bowyer reined him in and stopped him doing what he did best, which was running around and breaking things up.  He, Willo, Evans (basically any CM played under GB) were like statues and were clearly under instruction not to press the opposition and were limited from being able to venture forward.  It's partially why our midfield contributed naff all in terms of goals.

I did a little mini-study a couple year back where I tallied points and goals for/against based on our CM pairing, and the results were overwhelmingly supportive of playing Cairney CM.  We picked up more points, scored more, conceded less, yet he stuck with Willowe for the most part and shunted (and wasted) Cairney out wide.  I never did understand it.  I remember seeing the stats on whoscored.com and Cairney had more tackles and interceptions per game than any of our other CM's.  Bowyer a good bloke, but not a tactician.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Completely wrong. Dyche has a specific way of playing and it certainly isn't to attack the opposition. It wasn't in the Championship either. Watch the last two games we played against them, under both Bowyer and Lambert. We had all the chances, made all the running, but they defended deep and in numbers and nicked a goal in both games. That's the Dyche way.

It points to a lot of historical wage issues, and the fact that Lowe, Henley, Stokes, Graham and Mulgrew etc are on big money. You can't blame Bowyer for contracts handed out when he wasn't here.(apart from the Lowe one)

Bowyer brought in cheap players and made them worth a lot more. That's different to buying great players and having a top 6 squad. That's not 'having it both ways', that was me at the swingers party last night.

You need to ring round the chairman of all the other football clubs to find out the answer to your last question.

** Ba dum tschhhhhh ** (or should it be ** Da bum tschhhhh ** ?)

I think it points to most chairmen thinking he didn't do that great a job.  As I said, good bloke and always gave his all, just wasn't cut out for the job at the time and the blame lies at Venky's feet for trusting in another novice.

19 minutes ago, Biz said:

IMG_0295.JPG

Ah, a quote turned into a meme! That must mean you've won the argument.

He certainly didn't know how to play for a win.

It's been said may times but the simple truth is that Rovers under achieved with Bowyer as manager. Our last chance extinguished forever but because things worsened after he left people look back fondly. Just because things are extremely @#/? now doesn't mean that it wasn't any less @#/? back then.

Just now, mustard said:

People say Cairney wasn't up to playing CM back then, but I struggle to see how he could have done any worse compared to the Evans / Willo / Lowe pairings.  They left us with not only gaping holes but a lack of mobility, the inability to get ourselves on the ball and make a forward pass and we constantly sat back and invited pressure.  I wasn't sure if this was due to Bowyer's sit-back tactics or the players themselves, but it was clear to all that's where the weakness was, but we never addressed it.

I'd argue Lowe regressed further under Bowyer and went from a combative CM who had been an u21 international to a static shell of a player.  I know Kean et al played their part in hindering Lowe's development, but Bowyer reined him in and stopped him doing what he did best, which was running around and breaking things up.  He, Willo, Evans (basically any CM played under GB) were like statues and were clearly under instruction not to press the opposition and were limited from being able to venture forward.  It's partially why our midfield contributed naff all in terms of goals.

I did a little mini-study a couple year back where I tallied points and goals for/against based on our CM pairing, and the results were overwhelmingly supportive of playing Cairney CM.  We picked up more points, scored more, conceded less, yet he stuck with Willowe for the most part and shunted (and wasted) Cairney out wide.  I never did understand it.  I remember seeing the stats on whoscored.com and Cairney had more tackles and interceptions per game than any of our other CM's.  Bowyer a good bloke, but not a tactician.

I find it hard to believe that Lowe ever broke things up given his apparent fear of putting a foot in but I'll take your word for it. Maybe he just got in people's way. "Oops, sorry, after you".

Just now, Stuart said:

I find it hard to believe that Lowe ever broke things up given his apparent fear of putting a foot in but I'll take your word for it. Maybe he just got in people's way. "Oops, sorry, after you".

I'm guessing he must have been able to tackle or pass or something at some point in his career to get in England u21s and I'm sure he was supposed to be a tough-tackling midfielder at some point (or at least I'm sure he thought so...)??

1 hour ago, mustard said:

I'm guessing he must have been able to tackle or pass or something at some point in his career to get in England u21s and I'm sure he was supposed to be a tough-tackling midfielder at some point (or at least I'm sure he thought so...)??

I just think he was super fit, had legs to burn and modern managers rely too much on statistics. All players wear those chip things in the collar of their shirts these days, and I expect Lowe will have covered the most kilometres most weeks. Add to that his preference for short, simple, non-threatening passes racking up the OPTA score and he is the computer-generated first pick.

In a decent team he could have provided a link when switching play. If he had even a little bit of bite he could have been a decent replacement for Savage. As he is/was he was just a human moth. Fluttered about, not threatening but doing nothing of note, doesn't even look pretty and irritates people just by being himself.

It'll be very interesting to see which manager takes a punt and how he gets on. Probably a Mick McCarthy type of player. We'll see.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Stuart said:

I just think he was super fit, had legs to burn and modern managers rely too much on statistics. All players wear those chip things in the collar of their shirts these days, and I expect Lowe will have covered the most kilometres most weeks. Add to that his preference for short, simple, non-threatening passes racking up the OPTA score and he is the computer-generated first pick.

In a decent team he could have provided a link when switching play. If he had even a little bit of bite he could have been a decent replacement for Savage. As he is/was he was just a human moth. Fluttered about, not threatening but doing nothing of note, doesn't even look pretty and irritates people just by being himself.

It'll be very interesting to see which manager takes a punt and how he gets on. Probably a Mick McCarthy type of player. We'll see.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Ipswich pick him up. They have no money for transfer fees but enough to cover Lowe's level of wage. He's a natural replacement for Jonathan Douglas.

14 hours ago, DE. said:

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Ipswich pick him up. They have no money for transfer fees but enough to cover Lowe's level of wage. He's a natural replacement for Jonathan Douglas.

Norfolk and Chance!!!

20 hours ago, Stuart said:

Ah, a quote turned into a meme! That must mean you've won the argument.

He certainly didn't know how to play for a win.

It's been said may times but the simple truth is that Rovers under achieved with Bowyer as manager. Our last chance extinguished forever but because things worsened after he left people look back fondly. Just because things are extremely @#/? now doesn't mean that it wasn't any less @#/? back then.

It's not an argument, there is nothing to win. It's not a meme either, it's just the way Radio Lancs puts quotes on twitter.

"He didn't know how to play for a win?" How does his W/L record stack up against that sound bite? I can't see Radio Lancs putting that in picture, can you? :) 2 point a game average in a season we had 5 different managers got him the permanent job, it's hardly playing for a draw is it?

Point is - the subjective nature of certain aspects of the sport, seems be beyond comprehension on some topics, Lowe, GB, Big Sam etc. You could have the final say, statistical examples, a feature long documentary on YouTube explaining how your opinion holds more water - and I'd still base my thoughts on my experience.

Nobody ever said that GB was the best choice, did the best job, is the next Brian Clough. The scenario we found ourselves in when he took over - first at Christmas (after Berg) or in January 2013, then after are always overlooked. His results stopped an immediate plunge to league 1 then. I've seen the laughable "hindsight" argument about how we SHOULDVE gone down as it would've got rid of the owners... doesn't even warrant commenting on.

The operational side of the club has been a complete joke for years. To succeed under this ownership IS impossible, it's proven now. To halt our decline (which some might not value) whilst the fire was well and truly burning takes certain qualities, the main aspect being basic respect for the sodding club.

Which is has been a remarkably rare commodity since Venkys turned up.

Gary Bowyer could've been described as an "underachiever" by some, but I'll always think he overachieved in a scenario he was destined to be the next Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Micheal Appleton or Owen Coyle.

Finally, things far worse than even the end of his time in charge. Things are extremely poor now. Id take the beginning of 2013-14 over the start of 2017/18 in a heartbeat.

Just now, Biz said:

It's not an argument, there is nothing to win. It's not a meme either, it's just the way Radio Lancs puts quotes on twitter.

"He didn't know how to play for a win?" How does his W/L record stack up against that sound bite? I can't see Radio Lancs putting that in picture, can you? :) 2 point a game average in a season we had 5 different managers got him the permanent job, it's hardly playing for a draw is it?

Point is - the subjective nature of certain aspects of the sport, seems be beyond comprehension on some topics, Lowe, GB, Big Sam etc. You could have the final say, statistical examples, a feature long documentary on YouTube explaining how your opinion holds more water - and I'd still base my thoughts on my experience.

Nobody ever said that GB was the best choice, did the best job, is the next Brian Clough. The scenario we found ourselves in when he took over - first at Christmas (after Berg) or in January 2013, then after are always overlooked. His results stopped an immediate plunge to league 1 then. I've seen the laughable "hindsight" argument about how we SHOULDVE gone down as it would've got rid of the owners... doesn't even warrant commenting on.

The operational side of the club has been a complete joke for years. To succeed under this ownership IS impossible, it's proven now. To halt our decline (which some might not value) whilst the fire was well and truly burning takes certain qualities, the main aspect being basic respect for the sodding club.

Which is has been a remarkably rare commodity since Venkys turned up.

Gary Bowyer could've been described as an "underachiever" by some, but I'll always think he overachieved in a scenario he was destined to be the next Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Micheal Appleton or Owen Coyle.

Finally, things far worse than even the end of his time in charge. Things are extremely poor now. Id take the beginning of 2013-14 over the start of 2017/18 in a heartbeat.

JHC. So because he didn't achieve his coveted draws he didn't play for them? That's why we lost!

We are never going to agree on this but if you ignore the players that Bowyer had at his disposal then you might have a point. If you think the players he had weren't good enough then that's your opinion. Personally I reckon that he had some very good players and our competitors' managers took most of them. The ones we were left with are why the job is so difficult for Mowbray. When it comes down to it, Venkys are the reason that we have such poor players. And managers.

Just now, Stuart said:

JHC. So because he didn't achieve his coveted draws he didn't play for them? That's why we lost!

We are never going to agree on this but if you ignore the players that Bowyer had at his disposal then you might have a point. If you think the players he had weren't good enough then that's your opinion. Personally I reckon that he had some very good players and our competitors' managers took most of them. The ones we were left with are why the job is so difficult for Mowbray. When it comes down to it, Venkys are the reason that we have such poor players. And managers.

I can agree a better manager would've got more out of us but that's not the one barometer of "GB: Snog, Marry, Avoid part 56" :) 

Just now, Tom said:

Blackpool 2-1 up going into last 15

It was inevitable that Bowyer would end up playing us next season, and reward the second worst owners in English football.

Bumley stayed up relatively comfortably and laud it over us.

Huddersfield will probably go up and be rewarded for their part in our demise.

Still, at least Mowbray has got some kind of assurance (God knows what) from the shittest owners known to football so all's fair.

Sad times to be a Rovers fan.

Happy for Bowyer, decent guy, and better manager than most on here gave him credit for.

Sadly for the fans that doesn't tell the whole story.

• Backroom

I wanted Exeter to win always had a soft spot for them but another local derby it is!

Well done GB, clearly had to go when he did here as we had started regressing and think we would have gone down that season but I think some time lower down served him well.

Wasnt Micky Appleton promoted as well this season?

Archived