BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer's Linkedin Profile

Amo

26 minutes ago, den said:

Thing is with Bowyers appointment, he was another inexperienced coach, when because of the mounting debt/loss of parachute payments/ continuing downward trajectory of the club many fans thought we needed someone with a track record in the championship. The argument went along the lines of "not going down the experienced route would see the club tumble even further." 

Well unfortunately the appointment didn't work. The appointment only saw that the clubs fortunes didn't turn around and we continued on the decline. The right appointment at that time would have given us a far better chance of reversing the trend. Now the task is so much more difficult. We're so much further from the PL - which is the only place that this club would have any chance of recovery.

The man saved our bacon. Built a decent team and then had the rug pulled from under his feet. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, den said:

youve also got to realise that to get into the playoffs, you only need to be in the top quarter of the league - and with the squad he inherited, plus all the players he was allowed to bring in, - why couldn't he do that in a very poor league?

The side wasn't good enough, simple as that den, you can't change history I'm afraid.

The football side of things doesn't tell the whole story, the villians, schemers and crooks on the ground and behind the schemes didn't help. agents with power to pull players labor, contract talks and money issues, missing owners, the list goes on.

Bowyer did a tremendous job under the circumstances.

Just now, Phil T said:

Must be a very bizarre feeling for those Blackpool fans who boycotted.

I hope they're holding their heads up high today, nothing but respect for the lot of them, principled, proper boycotters :tu:

Just now, Gav said:

The side manager wasn't good enough, simple as that den, you can't change history I'm afraid.

The football side of things doesn't tell the whole story, the villians, schemers and crooks on the ground and behind the schemes didn't help. agents with power to pull players labor, contract talks and money issues, missing owners, the list goes on.

Managers are the difference, Gav.

It's why Allardyce saved us from the Ince mess. It's why Kean relegated a side with a midtable PL squad. It's why Conte made Mourinho's players Champions again. It's why Bowyer's caretaker spell should be considered a success and why his full time tenure - with a squad assembled by him and that we can now only dream of - must be considered a failure.

Bowyer was not good enough for the Championship except as a scout and coach but has proven himself a successful League Two manager. So glad we gave him an apprenticeship and most likely set him up for life, what did he give Rovers in return? The illusion of stability (thanks really to the Agnew-Shaw-Singh triumvirate being broken up) and a shield against the owners. Looks like he is more than prepared to do the same at Blackpool.

Believe it or not, I would have liked Bowyer to have been a success but he wasn't. At times his football was as insufferable and frustrating as Allardyce's but at least Sam won games of football.

Actually owners are the difference in our case, we never had a chance of bringing in a better manager because the place was/is run by agents, the books are cooked.

So whilst in theory you're right, in practice the outcome was as we found it, not good enough for the playoffs and no amount of misty eyed crystal ball gazing can change that sadly.

Just now, Gav said:

Actually owners are the difference in our case, we never had a chance of bringing in a better manager because the place was/is run by agents, the books are cooked.

So whilst in theory you're right, in practice the outcome was as we found it, not good enough for the playoffs and no amount of misty eyed crystal ball gazing can change that sadly.

IMG_1927.JPG

1 hour ago, Gav said:

The football side of things doesn't tell the whole story

Best way to look at I thought.

Solely on a football basis, I thought we should've done better with a few of the players we had but I also felt we had no semblance of "blend". I think this for a few reasons, one example; the key players all came because of the situation (as in loans or loans to buy/cheap signings) at their old clubs or on frees. The good players he inherited had been signed by 3 or 4 different managers in 18 months, I think that made us inconsistent - sometimes excellent but generally weak or too reactive.

GB also had much to learn compared to Big Sam or Mark Hughes (last two good managers) in terms of style, organisation and motivation. That was expected though because GB was a reserve coach who'd had a few good results as caretaker, not a professional experienced manager.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

The side wasn't good enough, simple as that den, you can't change history I'm afraid.

The squad he finished up with, was his squad and he was taking us down the leagues. The side had Two 20 goals a season players in it for starters Gav. One of them you thought was a fantastic player (wrong as it turned out), the other one he was allowed to bring in. He signed enough players for three teams. What better backing could he rightly have hoped for? 

As Matty said, most of the fans could see that and wanted him out.

I lost a bit of respect for GB after some of his comments in his last few months but I'm happy for him and glad he's been successful.

At Rovers although he managed to assemble a good squad he never seemed to develop a way of playing.  He did decently initially but time after time it would seem he sent the team out with no discernible plan and would rely on the players to produce.  I got tired of his tactical failings and despite doing some good work in other areas that's key to anyone I want managing Rovers.

50 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I'd have no problem if those on here saying he did a 'great job' were saying the same in November '15- they weren't, to a man they wanted him out.

Revisionism at its worst. 

Not really true. I'm sure you can find a post to contradict me but I always thought he'd done a good job at Rovers but that maybe a change was needed. For that reason I wasn't devastated when he left but I never really wanted him sacked. Is it revisionism to still feel exactly the same now as I did then?

Reading through the thread of his sacking, to be fair to you blueboy, you weren't cheering it to the rafters (plenty of others who are now fully paid up members of the Gaz Fan Club were, however), but even so, why did you feel a change was needed then?

I thought King Sam was doing a good job, so I wasn't stating a 'change was needed' on that fateful Monday afternoon...

Congratulations to Bowyer. I've no idea about Blackpools squad compared to the rest of League 2 but it's a hell of a thing to turn around a failing club. To do so whilst a civil war is going on is miraculous.  Was a good bloke for us and I wish him well. 

Bowyer's squad was easily good enough for the top 6. It's testament to him for helping to assemble it but he is also accountable for not squeezing a bit more out of them and the games we were in. He did a steady job but was too cagey, too often. 

• Backroom
7 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I lost a bit of respect for GB after some of his comments in his last few months but I'm happy for him and glad he's been successful.

I think the hopelessness of the situation just got to him at the end. He knew that the purse strings were well and truly shut. All of his best signings were being forced out the door. Communication with India had ceased. He was forced into the bargain bin and hadn't come up with anything good that transfer window at all. Then to top it off the supporters were (justifiably) angry and calling for change. 

A crappy situation and it was probably best for him and for us that he left when he did. Nothing good would have come from GB staying.

Archived