BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer's Linkedin Profile

Amo

Just now, K-Hod said:

It's still strange that he never did address shipping those late goals, despite being a 'proper football man'. Odd, that.

Top 10 finishes. And? You get nowt for top 10 and only a chance at a prize for top 6. Still, I suppose you've got to hype yourself, even if it is total codswallop.

That doesn't even make sense. Where are the facts to back it up. Stats? Did we score late goals too? I think you'll find we did. 

Anyway, top ten is a lot better than spending the whole season in the bottom 3, like we just have, and never did under Bowyer.

Very steady manager, perfect for rudderless clubs with poor owners.

Codswallop? Hype? Drivel. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Despite Gaz losing the plot towards the end, I wish him nothing but success going forward. He wasn't ever the man to get the best out of the team we had, but he did his best and imo over-performed on a personal level. Nothing more to say about him really. 

Find some of the sentiments towards Bowyer are puzzling to say the least. Rovers fans have a bad habit for showing disdain towards those who worked hard and did well for us. Yes he wasn't perfect, but he's the best we've had since Allardyce, and did great things in the academy before taking the job. He's doing a good job at Blackpool under similarly ridiculous circumstances as those he had to endure here.

The fan's attitude is one of the reason why our best player of all time has no real time for our club. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Shearer? In what way does he have no time for the club? 

He's raised the Venky issue more than most for a start. I would imagine both sides have moved on from the panto stuff of the late 90s.

Believe me, he has never understood and has never forgiven the horrific reception he was given both immediately after he left the club (Boxing Day 1996, I remember it well), and during the years that followed. It was small time mentality from the fans, and something I have always been embarrassed about.

My Dad was chatting to him on the day he opened Alan Shearer Way and he couldn't speak higher of the club- though I suppose he didn't specifically ask about what he thought of the fans.

I would disagree that it was 'small time', in fact I'd argue it was the opposite- we thought we were a top club, so losing our star man to a rival was a reason to heckle him- not that I ever agreed with it.

My impression was that post his appearance at Tony Parkes' testimonial- with the great (obviously overdue) reception he received, he'd moved on. His public criticism of Venky's was another sign of it.

Happy to be corrected if you have some insider knowledge that he still resents us fans?

1 minute ago, Batman. said:

Believe me, he has never understood and has never forgiven the horrific reception he was given both immediately after he left the club (Boxing Day 1996, I remember it well), and during the years that followed. It was small time mentality from the fans, and something I have always been embarrassed about.

It was way over the top at the time admittedly but just think back to then, it was rather poorly handled by club and player. There was quite a bit of anger because people had got new shirts with the name on and bought season tickets as at one point it was assumed he was staying. Thousands of disappointed kids and i think  even Shearer himself said he understood people being upset.

It was put to bed with the reception he got at Parkes testimonial which he was delighted about and was virtually last to leave the building that night it was said. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I would disagree that it was 'small time', in fact I'd argue it was the opposite- we thought we were a top club, so losing our star man to a rival was a reason to heckle him- not that I ever agreed with it.

I think the way Man United handle ex players leaving, even with Ronaldo, who even cost them the Champion's League in his final game in what was one of the most selfish and pathetic performances I have ever seen, is more more reflective of that of a "top club."

Shearer's goals won us the league, and he should have been given the blessing to leave to wherever he wanted.

Just now, tomphil said:

It was way over the top at the time admittedly but just think back to then, it was rather poorly handled by club and player. There was quite a bit of anger because people had got new shirts with the name on and bought season tickets as at one point it was assumed he was staying. Thousands of disappointed kids and i think  even Shearer himself said he understood people being upset.

This was the fault of Jack Walker to be honest. He knew Shearer wanted to leave but clung on far too long before finally allowing him to go. It was a sad end, and as a result people never really associate Shearer with Rovers, which is tragic when you consider it was in our colours he had his finest hour.

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Happy to be corrected if you have some insider knowledge that he still resents us fans?

No, of course he doesn't resent us. His attitude towards Rovers fans would be one of a spouse who had a messy divorce from an unreasonable partner many years ago. "It's all fine now."

However, it's a shame there can't be great bond between the fans and ex players. Shearer, Le Saux, Sherwood, Wilcox, Batty, Sutton and even Henning Berg were all given rough receptions when they returned to Ewood Park in other colours. These guys won us the league, and should all have been given standing ovations. It's happened ever since with the likes of Duff, Bentley, Bellamy, Neill etc. Some will obviously suggest that some deserved it, but I never recall any of these guys giving any less than 100%, and all contributed to some great periods in our recent history.

I am digressing somewhat from the original point. Bowyer is a good guy, and did well for us as a manager, and great as an academy developer. For the fans to be on here mocking his Linkedin profile is pathetic. 

"did well" - no,he gave us a bit of respite and could spot talent (which was what he was paid to do previously). Could he manage? When you look at the squad he had then and compare it to what we have now and the fact that he was on course to relegate it - does that not speak volumes? 

Now GB is a nice bloke and obviously rovers thru and thru and gave it his best shot - but a manager he is not. We had Rhodes and Gestede up front, a 40 goal frontline, and we could still not make the playoffs. That does not even make sense that you have two strikers netting 40 goals between them in a team that finishes midtable.

This is not a diss at the man and iw ish him all the luck, thank him for stabilising things that were in even worse shape before he took the job, but lets not pretend he was a good manager. 

13 hours ago, JacknOry said:

"did well" - no,he gave us a bit of respite and could spot talent (which was what he was paid to do previously). Could he manage? When you look at the squad he had then and compare it to what we have now and the fact that he was on course to relegate it - does that not speak volumes? 

Now GB is a nice bloke and obviously rovers thru and thru and gave it his best shot - but a manager he is not. We had Rhodes and Gestede up front, a 40 goal frontline, and we could still not make the playoffs. That does not even make sense that you have two strikers netting 40 goals between them in a team that finishes midtable.

This is not a diss at the man and iw ish him all the luck, thank him for stabilising things that were in even worse shape before he took the job, but lets not pretend he was a good manager. 

Rhodes and Gestede scored more league goals that season than even Shearer and Sutton in '94/'95. 

10 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

Rhodes and Gestede scored more league goals that season than even Shearer and Sutton in '94/'95. 

I thought Shearer and Sutton scored 49 between them and Gestede and Rhodes got 41 but your point still stands, we should have done better.

On 25/01/2017 at 4:57 PM, JHRover said:

He's spent the entirety of his short managerial career working for Venkys and Oyston. Don't think I could really blame the bloke for wanting to get a job at a proper club. He'll probably end up at Coventry next season.

It wouldn't surprise me. He'd last 4 months and be sacked after failing to get promotion with a team consisting of 5 tramps they got off the street, Sam the Elephant (the mascot), Nile Ranger and 6 or 7 guys who failed in the Voice, X factor or Big Brother. John Gregory would be his successor.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, Norbert Rassragr said:

It wouldn't surprise me. He'd last 4 months and be sacked after failing to get promotion with a team consisting of 5 tramps they got off the street, Sam the Elephant (the mascot), Nile Ranger and 6 or 7 guys who failed in the Voice, X factor or Big Brother. John Gregory would be his successor.

I doubt John Gregory will be the next manager. With the way Karl Oyston is doing his best to upset the fans, Coyle has to be nailed on. The announcement from the club could be that he is the Stand out candidate. That should upset most people for starters, then the drivel spouted every week, can be the salt rubbed into the wounds.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, K-Hod said:

It's still strange that he never did address shipping those late goals, despite being a 'proper football man'. Odd, that.

Top 10 finishes. And? You get nowt for top 10 and only a chance at a prize for top 6. Still, I suppose you've got to hype yourself, even if it is total codswallop.

It wasn't just the late goals that let him down. 60+ conceded in his first season, late 50+ in his second. Strangely never understood that we needed a goalkeeper and a right back, nor that there are two nets on a football pitch and one of them needs protecting. I don't think his profile mentions that!

The race for 9th? Yawn. His signings get lauded, all 38 of them. How many improved, were shipped out without contributing, or rarely played? Yes three or four were sold on for profit, but how many stagnated and went backwards? Judge? King?

He initially did a good job, winning three out of four as caretaker, but then struggled to achieve anything other than manage our debt to another 50million in losses whilst we plodded about mid-table. The minute he was pressured he collapsed and was taking us down.

Pleased he is doing ok two divisions lower with another basket case of a club. They have won their last three against luminaries Newport, Stevenage and Hartlepool and are now in the top 5. Hopefully he can re-build and go again, but he was never going to be considered for a position higher up based on what he achieved at the Rovers. Which was really pretty average with the players and financed squad at his disposal.

As blueboy3333 alluded to, the folk down at Bloomfield Road are currently unsure as to whether it's Blackpool or the Dutch National team of the late 80's that they're watching. It's a Steam-Train at the moment, with no derailment in sight.

1 hour ago, Batman. said:

As blueboy3333 alluded to, the folk down at Bloomfield Road are currently unsure as to whether it's Blackpool or the Dutch National team of the late 80's that they're watching. It's a Steam-Train at the moment, with no derailment in sight.

That Cruyff turn and kiss me quick hats. Match made in heaven.

Gary Bowyer doing well in Division Four. Seven words that sum him up. But he better watch out as Exeter, Carlisle, Mansfield and Colchester are all hot on his heels! Or not so hot, depending on how you view those clubs.

Bowyers probably found his level, plying his trade in a division where big money signings and finance play a minor role.

I wish him the best of luck, did a tremendous job here under the circumstances.

Archived