BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Scab In The Park

Stuart

Are there Fifth Columnists on the planning committee?

Because taking protests out of the ground was music to the ears of those who are anti-protest. Albeit very quiet music, obviously. Not only were there no Venkys Out chants, until the 86th minute (more later), there were no chants at all.

As a protester, it was a change for me to be on the other side of the divide and I made it my mission to try to report back my thoughts and findings.

From very early on - and throughout - Ewood Park was like a prawn sandwich convention. Polite clapping and shuffling of pie wrappers were the loudest things in the ground. Well at least when Coyle wasn't shrieking through his cupped hand. WTF is that noise he makes?? Obviously the clapping intensified a little when the goals went in. (Cracker from Bennett, btw).

Hollow words from those who say "protest before or after but not during games" this would be more believable if they joined those protests at those times. What they really mean is don't interrupt my enjoyment of the game and don't expect me to help.

On 18 minutes we were reminded that there was life on earth after all and a sporadic peppering of tennis balls - although it wasn't clear if these were Rovers or Blackpool orbs - appeared over the gates between the BBE and Riverside. "What will tennis balls achieve?", the kid next to me asked his dad. "Very little", was the almost apologetic reply (I'll not call it smug - although it was hard to tell through the cockney accent). It's lucky there were a couple of stewards on hand before Lowe raced over or those balls would not have been as easily cleared.

Protesters are made up of those fans who are also the voice and heart of the club - their absence leaves a very evident empty void. Those who will Only Attend are the head. Objective and passionless. Currently the heart and head are not joined up, not united in their purpose, we have hot and cold, separately blue. And white. This club needs both to be working together. It needs the head to help and be part of protest movement, to come up with ideas - if they really want Venkys Out of course (which I'm not convinced about) - and the heart needs to allow love (for Rovers) and hope to outweigh hate (for Venkys) and despair (for the future).

I was checking my phone at one point during the game, and the lack of crowd involvement was summed up when a bad challenge and a sending off only came to my attention when I looked up at the big screen and saw the red square next to Mellor's name. The atmosphere without those voices is non-existent. But to have them in the ground does need to be a positive influence on the game.

The head (ignorant of the pain the heart still feels) would close the Riverside and make the DE away fans only. It makes financial sense. The heart would demand that Venkys reverse what they have done. It would at the very least want to know that doing so is even in their thoughts. Maybe we have to shrink down, streamline and become more compact the increase our upward velocity and counter the loss of mass. But the heart knows in its, erm, heart that they don't - and won't. The head too should have learned from experience about the need to move forward without Venkys - even if moving forward means a different kind of club - but the head without the heart has no memory of the past and only looks at the here and now. The head sees only the colours of the shirts on the pitch, and recognises Blackburn Rovers; only the heart sees what those colours really represent, and right now it's a more faded blue and a more off-white that they don't quite recognise as Blackburn Rovers.

As for the game, any thoughts of yesterday's performance or result must be tempered by the fact that we are facing league Two opposition. And one directed by Gary Bowyer, who reminded me why he was not missed. The last 15 minutes Gaz seemed to forget which team he was manager of. Two banks of 4 and no pressing. "You're 2-0 down not up mate!". He summed up his time in charge of us with a nothing Blackpool performance (in a derby!), starting slowly/badly and then fading further when things went against him. I'm just glad he was in the opposition dugout or we could easily have had the opposite result - with the same sets of players.

5 minutes to go and in breezed the "Venkys Out" chants. Sadly not a breath of fresh air but a momentary, dare I say uncomfortable, jolt from the slumber of an easy win for a poor team, against an even poorer team, drawing un-excitingly to a close. With blue and white and orange scarves it was hard to disseminate who was who and it had me wondering "how did we get here?". But the reaction was at least some chant noise from the terraces and a weak effort at trying to support the team and drown out the noise - and failing.

It is easy to see how both fan groups would claim victory on the day. The "innies" in a complete bubble for 85 minutes could be forgiven for thinking that Venkys had already sold up and that the protests were a thing of the past. A quiet, homely, guilt-free Saturday afternoon with their friends and family. The "outies" no doubt emboldened by their new found temporary tangerine comrades (although if they remain joined in parallel protests against Venkys and Oystons respectively), enthused by the tomorrow's "chip paper" coverage from the agenda'd TV companies who didn't get rights to this competition. (Where were they the other week?). Talk is now about a joint protest with other fans but this now needs to be to highlight the real issue of unfit owners and to put pressure on the FA and Football League. I can't help feel though that some other clubs have a little less to complain about in that regard than Rovers - at least other owners made money on the back of chasing success for the club. Venkys had made (or not made, depending on your outlook) money chasing failure for Rovers and only taking whilst giving nothing back. We perhaps have more in common with Coventry that Blackpool.

A home win and a reasonable home crowd but devoid of any feelgood factor - no matter what the Black-Eyed Peas say.

Protests will not work because people won't protest. People won't protest because they feel the protests don't work.

Perhaps a detached protest movement between rival clubs uniting for a greater cause is the right move at the right time. It surely beats frustratedly banging on the one-way glass, with the mirror on the inside, against unfeeling, ignorant owners who aren't listening, and with no support or even thanks from 75% of the people that you represent. There is more chance of Rovers, Blackpool, Charlton, Coventry, Forest fans uniting than the two distinct sides of the Rovers fanbase. Ironically just as halved as our iconic shirts. Which is pretty sad.

The last word goes to the can of blue smoke on the final whistle that made no sound but emitted a fading blue plume against the backdrop of the Blackburn End. Ironically masking the protesters from view.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you Stuart. But would like to add that any protest worth doing has to stop a match. This means possibly breaking the law or sailing very close to it. Modern football has been sanitized over the last 25 years. People will not risk it due to CRB-DBS's needed in todays job market.

Do others on here believe the WAR group was set up to dampen down protests?

A big thank you to those that are trying.

5 minutes to go and in breezed the "Venkys Out" chants. Sadly not a breath of fresh air but a momentary, dare I say uncomfortable, jolt from the slumber of an easy win for a poor team, against an even poorer team, drawing un-excitingly to a close. With blue and white and orange scarves it was hard to disseminate who was who and it had me wondering "how did we get here?". But the reaction was at least some chant noise from the terraces and a weak effort at trying to support the team and drown out the noise - and failing.

There was one Pool fan left and I borrowed his scarf to hold up because I knew photos would be taken and it was important that any photos were clear that it was a joint protest. Walking onto the terrace wearing my Rovers scarf on 85/86 mins and holding the "Oyston Out" scarf aloft shouting "Venkys Out! Oyston Out!" as I said in another thread... People looked at me like I was from Mars. It wasn't a good moment, as you say it was uncomfortable (not for me though), I looked around at some people and they had smug smirking faces looking at me, making smart arse comments and such probably... I couldn't care less though because I can look at myself in the mirror today and know I did the right thing. Despite all those smirking faces I could see guilt in almost every single one of them because deep down they know what's right and what's wrong.

Spineless mushrooms.

There was one Pool fan left and I borrowed his scarf to hold up because I knew photos would be taken and it was important that any photos were clear that it was a joint protest. Walking onto the terrace wearing my Rovers scarf on 85/86 mins and holding the "Oyston Out" scarf aloft shouting "Venkys Out! Oyston Out!" as I said in another thread... People looked at me like I was from Mars. It wasn't a good moment, as you say it was uncomfortable (not for me though), I looked around at some people and they had smug smirking faces looking at me, making smart arse comments and such probably... I couldn't care less though because I can look at myself in the mirror today and know I did the right thing. Despite all those smirking faces I could see guilt in almost every single one of them because deep down they know what's right and what's wrong.

Spineless mushrooms.

That is the problem though Neal. Those of us still going can look ourselves in the mirror today and know that we are doing the right thing which is why we had 9,000 on yesterday, including 1,400 or more from Blackpool. Deep down we know that continuing to support the club is the right thing to do.

That is the problem though Neal. Those of us still going can look ourselves in the mirror today and know that we are doing the right thing which is why we had 9,000 on yesterday, including 1,400 or more from Blackpool. Deep down we know that continuing to support the club is the right thing to do.

Why are you doing 'the right thing' Can you suggest a way of getting the Venky's to leave? Or do you want them IN?

Topic titles like that are just the thing to harden the resolve of the fans who want to enjoy watching the football. Who do you think you are to call fellow supporters scabs?

Why are you doing 'the right thing' Can you suggest a way of getting the Venky's to leave? Or do you want them IN?

Can you suggest a way because boycotting is obviously having no effect?

Madness keep supporting them till they leave?

I cant believe there is people out there this stupid? Whilst theres prats out there happy to fund Venkys dodgy business they are going to stick around. May as well give up.

Supporting the team when they leave no matter what state they leave us in is the right thing to do!

Topic titles like that are just the thing to harden the resolve of the fans who want to enjoy watching the football. Who do you think you are to call fellow supporters scabs?

I don't know the answer. But fans of other teams are getting the message now about our rotten owners.

for me the only protest that worked well was the 1875

boycots are never going to happen

all the talk of more out than in and the amount of rovers fans on the march was pathetic

did anybody really expect thousands to turn up not to go to the match?

i honestly believe the thousands of missing supporters aren't boycotting at all they're just glory hunters,or most of them are

lets see the gate if we get man utd at home next round,they'll be back for one game just like the liverpool cup game

keep the protests inside the ground during the games its the only way more people will participate

all in my opinion of coarse

all the talk of more out than in and the amount of rovers fans on the march was pathetic

i honestly believe the thousands of missing supporters aren't boycotting at all they're just glory hunters,or most of them are

lets see the gate if we get man utd at home next round,they'll be back for one game just like the liverpool cup game

keep the protests inside the ground during the games its the only way more people will participate

The 18th 75th minutes should always involve a protest. Puts more shame on the owners that we have such a famous old club that they're killing.

Madness keep supporting them till they leave?

I cant believe there is people out there this stupid? Whilst theres prats out there happy to fund Venkys dodgy business they are going to stick around. May as well give up.

Supporting the team when they leave no matter what state they leave us in is the right thing to do!

Clearly supporting Blackburn Rovers is something we are always going to differ about.

Perhaps but what most probably did was simply watch a game of football Parson and by doing so handed their hard earned over to a Venky owned football club and the Oystons that has mistreated and mislead their fans... Also I couldn't hear any atmosphere whatsoever so I don't know where the support is that you refer to... Don't dress it up as Madras because it smells like bullshit.

Sadly Al, that's the way this messageboard is going and is the reason why there are so few posters. I'm beginning to think Abbey had the right idea about giving this place a wide berth - obviously for different reasons than Abbey. The forum should be a place for discussion and a place where all views are respected even if you disagree with them. Sadly it isn't.

Perhaps but what most probably did was simply watch a game of football Parson, I couldn't hear any atmosphere whatsoever, don't dress it up as Madras because it smells like bullshit.

It may come as a surprise to you Neal but that's what I do when I'm at football - watch the game. It's what the overwhelming majority of folk who go to football at all clubs do.

But the truth is that you aren't 'doing' anything. You are simply doing what you have always done and carrying on as usual. You say you want Venkys to leave but you are happy to leave the effort to somebody else.

You have been asked several times what ideas you have to help to bring about Venkys leaving. You say boycotting won't work, and you won't ever boycott. You say marching won't work, and you won't march. You say keep protests away from the match but that's because you believe it affects the players. Everything offered so far you have pooh-poohed as ineffective.

So what ARE you able and willing to offer? You must have contacts, influence, the ear of sympathetic people. If anyone would be well placed to collect the facts and figures of Venkys' reign and to present this in an eloquent way then I would have thought it would be you. Can't you put your unique set of skills to help? Perhaps help to raise the profile of the www.venkysout.com site?

Something else?

Reactions like yours Al are just as much a part of the problem.

As somebody who is very much pro-protests, yet was in attendance, I was referring to myself as the 'scab'.

Hopefully you read the post and not just the title as I think it is more anti-protest that pro- and hopefully can be seen, at best, as reasonably balanced.

It may come as a surprise to you Neal but that's what I do when I'm at football - watch the game. It's what the overwhelming majority of folk who go to football at all clubs do.

Nothing comes as a surprise to me when you post Parson, I wish you would occasionally. Your posts are representative of the 'atmoshere' left at deadwood and I noticed you conveniently left my point about their being no atmosphere in support of the team to support your argument too. Christ you're arduous.

But the truth is that you aren't 'doing' anything. You are simply doing what you have always done and carrying on as usual. You say you want Venkys to leave but you are happy to leave the effort to somebody else.

You have been asked several times what ideas you have to help to bring about Venkys leaving. You say boycotting won't work, and you won't ever boycott. You say marching won't work, and you won't march. You say keep protests away from the match but that's because you believe it affects the players. Everything offered so far you have pooh-poohed as ineffective.

So what ARE you able and willing to offer? You must have contacts, influence, the ear of sympathetic people. If anyone would be well placed to collect the facts and figures of Venkys' reign and to present this in an eloquent way then I would have thought it would be you. Can't you put your unique set of skills to help? Perhaps help to raise the profile of the www.venkysout.com site?

Something else?

Reactions like yours Al are just as much a part of the problem.

As somebody who is very much pro-protests, yet was in attendance, I was referring to myself as the 'scab'.

Hopefully you read the post and not just the title as I think it is more anti-protest that pro- and hopefully can be seen, at best, as reasonably balanced.

Great post. I doubt you'll get much of an answer - some people seem to think sitting silently in an empty stadium is helping the club.

I genuinely don't think PB cares if Venky's are here or not, as long as he can continue to attend games as he always has done. Results/the bigger picture are secondary.

Really? Admittedly a bit different times, but when we were mid-table under Kidd/Parkes/Souness after relegation our attendances were much higher. - and there wasn't much glory then! (Anyone remember Crewe at home?)

Comments like this really serve to further divide the fan base,

I think - perhaps a post on here or talking with friends - Venkeys regime was likened to Nazi Germany and people's responses being a bit like various responses to the rise of Nazism. Some did nothing - it's not us being targeted - others fought against the system, but many knowing the system was unbeatable, left and got out. Without trying to lessen the severity of Nazism, I think that's what has happened with us a lot - a lot of fans feel it's an impossible fight, let's get away from it. Far from glory hunting, but a feeling and response to being unable to change or condone what is going on at our club.

The forum should be a place for discussion and a place where all views are respected even if you disagree with them. Sadly it isn't.

I respect that everyone has the right to do as they please but don't expect to come here and not be judged for it, I certainly don't by supporters like yourself. Step up to the hotpate or get out of the kitchen and stop whinging, you're a grown man... You should know better than to expect a church group mannered debate when it comes to football.

I think you will find he was referring to himself in the title ( a little humour ). Well that's the way I took it.

Sadly Al, that's the way this messageboard is going and is the reason why there are so few posters. I'm beginning to think Abbey had the right idea about giving this place a wide berth - obviously for different reasons than Abbey. The forum should be a place for discussion and a place where all views are respected even if you disagree with them. Sadly it isn't.

You are right on the 1st part. All views are not respected on here. We all have different views on here. If you are attend games certain posters just keep insulting you with their posts.

As I said before respect the boycotters and protestors.

I go games to watch the game and support my team. I discuss the game with friends and people around me during the game. Thats what ive done for years and will do for years in the future.

I for one am not a glory hunter. I didnt see the days of Shearer and Sutton terrorising defences. I came later to the party. I dont care about watching Man Utd or any other big team. What i care about is seeing my club fighting to be the best it can be. I dont want to see it accepting its level. I want to see it like most well run clubs striving to be better. Progress might be slow. We might sometimes slip back. But i want to see everyone associated with the club to want more. Ill be back when things show signs of change and not until. I wont be back on a one off glory match. Thats not how it works.

Archived