BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers' mouth piece - the LT

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gazette-not-publish-interview-middlesbrough-13358358.amp

Fair play to the Middlesbrough paper, highlights what a pi$$ poor operation the LT is.

True. The fact that there has never or very rarely being an issue with what the LT published, shows the useless so and sos simple were not doing their jobs.

On the above, none of that matters to fans if the team is doing well, if they aren't it will be a different story. I wonder why you banned that guy? 

• 1 year later...

Is it just me or does Simon Smith have veiled digs at the fans every week? Even when there’s a real positivity.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16606486.trust-mowbray-to-get-rovers-signings-right-simon-smith/

The support at the grounds (home and away) has been right behind the team - even at 2-0 down against Reading, they were cheered on.

We are ‘supporting the lads’, most folk seem happy Bell’s in the side.

Why not point out the Ewood good vibes for once?

It just continues a false narrative that Ewood is a uniquely negative place, especially as for many fans the LT is still the main place they get their Rovers news.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Is it just me or does Simon Smith have veiled digs at the fans every week? Even when there’s a real positivity.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16606486.trust-mowbray-to-get-rovers-signings-right-simon-smith/

The support at the grounds (home and away) has been right behind the team - even at 2-0 down against Reading, they were cheered on.

We are ‘supporting the lads’, most folk seem happy Bell’s in the side.

Why not point out the Ewood good vibes for once?

It just continues a false narrative that Ewood is a uniquely negative place, especially as for many fans the LT is still the main place they get their Rovers news.

He's a lickspittle. He wouldn't get a column in the LT otherwise. 

No arguments there, yet surely the club would rather the truth be told on how Ewood feels a much better place

Or is the term we are after ‘clickbait’?

Apparently they are called 'opinion' pieces. Clickbait is another description for it. But you're right, Ewood is a much happier place than it's been for a long time. The manager is universally liked (for the first time since Hughes probably), the fans can identify with the players and we watch some genuine talent who actually look like they want to play for the club.  But that wouldn't make a good article for someone who see's himself as the arbiter of all that is righteous at BRFC. Ironically. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Smith watch, the fool’s at it again.

Using a couple of trolls on social media as a basis to have a go at the fans AGAIN, though he knows full well that Mowbray is the most universally respected manager we’ve had since Hughes. No idea why he continues with this nonsense nearly every week.

Like I’ve said before it just reinforces this false view of ‘moaning Rovers fans’, when this team gets support win, lose or draw as their full bloodied effort is there for all to see.

Dickhead.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16974755.our-aim-was-survival-it-has-already-been-upgraded-simon-smith/?ref=mac

• Moderation Lead

He's an absolute whopper that just loves attention. He can't write an article without taking a stupid holier than thou stance against other fans.

Feck him, he's not worth our time. 

27 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Using a couple of trolls on social media as a basis to have a go at the fans AGAIN, though he knows full well that Mowbray is the most universally respected manager we’ve had since Hughes. No idea why he continues with this nonsense nearly every week.

Like I’ve said before it just reinforces this false view of ‘moaning Rovers fans’, when this team gets support win, lose or draw as their full bloodied effort is there for all to see.

Dickhead.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16974755.our-aim-was-survival-it-has-already-been-upgraded-simon-smith/?ref=mac

Is that guy a journalist? Some really poor stuff in the LT today.

In the below article there is the following line "You can question his tactics and interview skills but the fact is he has developed a mediocre Division One outfit into a potentially exciting team with realistic aspirations" 

Firstly who calls the championship division one still? Secondly, who questions his interview skills? I think he gives great interviews, granted I think he bigs the opposition up a bit too much, but I have heard nobody question his interview technique. Very odd. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16975975.rovers-set-to-offer-tony-mowbray-a-new-contract-fan-reaction/?ref=mac 

The article makes two key points that I absolutely agree with;

1. The bulk of our first team have returned for this season after playing under Coyle - yet they are unrecognisable in spirit, effort and attitude.

2. Giving anyone else the reigns would be utterly stupid at this moment in time!

If there are people suggesting it’s time to move Tony on - and he has had those discussions/read those points of view - it’s hardly surprising to see why he would be frustrated. I personally find that thought process just as confusing, much like many other viewpoints - “release Smallwood” for example, or “Brereton can’t play in a position”...

Is Simon, and the rest of us expected to only comment on viewpoints we agree with? Focus on the content - which on this occasion is difficult to disagree with for me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Biz said:

The article makes two key points that I absolutely agree with;

1. The bulk of our first team have returned for this season after playing under Coyle - yet they are unrecognisable in spirit, effort and attitude.

2. Giving anyone else the reigns would be utterly stupid at this moment in time!

If there are people suggesting it’s time to move Tony on - and he has had those discussions/read those points of view - it’s hardly surprising to see why he would be frustrated. I personally find that thought process just as confusing, much like many other viewpoints - “release Smallwood” for example, or “Brereton can’t play in a position”...

Is Simon, and the rest of us expected to only comment on viewpoints we agree with? Focus on the content - which on this occasion is difficult to disagree with for me.

I think I tend to follow Rovers quite well on social media and I have never once heard or read the suggestion of sacking Mowbray in favour of Neil Warnock. At least not often enough to suggest it warrants column space in the local newspaper. I think as a journalist at any level you have a responsibility to ensure your reports are fair and accurate. By putting forward a notion that enough fans have the view of sacking Mowbray that it warrants such a response isn't fair or accurate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Dickhead.

Hes not the only one to use blogs/columns such as this as a vehicle to berate fans for something that doesnt exist.

I know this website is not fully representative but it is a decent enough sample size. Would it be worth making a thread solely containing a poll, should Mowbrays job be in question? Im convinced that it would almost be a landslide no and it could debunk this myth.

@Biz no one would disagree with your first point, a point Simon could embrace without making out like the fans are still baying for blood irrespective of this. And only the most provocative troll would disagree with the second point. Ive not come across anyone personally who suggests that we should change the manager, and on here only that ive seen jim insinuated it and was understandably derided for it. If its more than him, please point me in the direction of these posts.

The fan base is as unified as it has been in a long while behind a manager and crap like this is the biggest threat to that going forward. Simon is frustrated with a figment of his own imagination.

Also to your other points. Ive seen people question Smallwoods ability to be effective at a higher level, never once have I seen anyone say to release him. Youre Brereton comment is very vague, what position?

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think I tend to follow Rovers quite well on social media and I have never once heard or read the suggestion of sacking Mowbray in favour of Neil Warnock. At least not often enough to suggest it warrants column space in the local newspaper. I think as a journalist at any level you have a responsibility to ensure your reports are fair and accurate. By putting forward a notion that enough fans have the view of sacking Mowbray that it warrants such a response isn't fair or accurate.

Spot on. If someone has suggested we get Warnock in, its as ludicrious in its unrealistic nature as getting rid of Mowbray anyway. Ive not seen one person suggest him any time after when Coyle was appointed.

Didn't they used to change columnists every few years ?

He's had his time now he's boring and repetitive even though he might have some fair points to put across. Time to move him on let someone younger have a go at it if they want tp push the positivety line all the time.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes not the only one to use blogs/columns such as this as a vehicle to berate fans for something that doesnt exist.

I know this website is not fully representative but it is a decent enough sample size. Would it be worth making a thread solely containing a poll, should Mowbrays job be in question? Im convinced that it would almost be a landslide no and it could debunk this myth.

@Biz no one would disagree with your first point, a point Simon could embrace without making out like the fans are still baying for blood irrespective of this. And only the most provocative troll would disagree with the second point. Ive not come across anyone personally who suggests that we should change the manager, and on here only that ive seen jim insinuated it and was understandably derided for it. If its more than him, please point me in the direction of these posts.

The fan base is as unified as it has been in a long while behind a manager and crap like this is the biggest threat to that going forward. Simon is frustrated with a figment of his own imagination.

Also to your other points. Ive seen people question Smallwoods ability to be effective at a higher level, never once have I seen anyone say to release him. Youre Brereton comment is very vague, what position?

I’m baffled to see that you’re suggesting these articles will cause friction between fans, especially if you’re saying that nearly (if not) all agree with him anyway - with the notion that moving on TM is stupid. It’s a contradiction, if he was focusing on more “people-splitting” opinions, he’d be doing more to cause friction surely ?! I can think of many more “clickbaity” views that would split this website in half...! I’m sure you can too.

As for the other two points - last week of the transfer window I read plenty of opinion here and on twitter suggesting we let Richie move on. Timing wise - to me that comment was utterly ridiculous. Also - within 2 weeks; of B.B. arriving - “can’t play out wide” was an actual comment. 

On a par with, or as ridiculous as the Armstrong is a “lazy little tosser” + “Tony doesn’t want to attack” which are just over a week old. Some great posters say utterly ridiculous things.

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Like or dislike the content - Smiths articles are his opinion pieces. How he formulated those opinions is up to him, and anyone with even an ounce of understanding of “clickbait” and modern “journalism” will know what sensationalism is. Have you listened to talkshite recently? It’s basically a constant advert for the latest manager betting odds - since in build up, analysis and actual commentary is only focused on the managers rep and “sack rating”.. Smiths articles are nowhere near this level of sensationalism! 

Whilst I can understand what you’re saying about the lack of actual “want” from actual rovers fans - there are short sighted and extremely negative comments all over this website about TM. If Smith has decided his opinion piece should reflect how baffling those comments are, then fair enough!

• Moderation Lead
15 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’m baffled to see that you’re suggesting these articles will cause friction between fans, especially if you’re saying that nearly (if not) all agree with him anyway - with the notion that moving on TM is stupid. It’s a contradiction, if he was focusing on more “people-splitting” opinions, he’d be doing more to cause friction surely ?! I can think of many more “clickbaity” views that would split this website in half...! I’m sure you can too.

As for the other two points - last week of the transfer window I read plenty of opinion here and on twitter suggesting we let Richie move on. Timing wise - to me that comment was utterly ridiculous. Also - within 2 weeks; of B.B. arriving - “can’t play out wide” was an actual comment. 

On a par with, or as ridiculous as the Armstrong is a “lazy little tosser” + “Tony doesn’t want to attack” which are just over a week old. Some great posters say utterly ridiculous things.

Like or dislike the content - Smiths articles are his opinion pieces. How he formulated those opinions is up to him, and anyone with even an ounce of understanding of “clickbait” and modern “journalism” will know what sensationalism is. Have you listened to talkshite recently? It’s basically a constant advert for the latest manager betting odds - since in build up, analysis and actual commentary is only focused on the managers rep and “sack rating”.. Smiths articles are nowhere near this level of sensationalism! 

Whilst I can understand what you’re saying about the lack of actual “want” from actual rovers fans - there are short sighted and extremely negative comments all over this website about TM. If Smith has decided his opinion piece should reflect how baffling those comments are, then fair enough!

Yes lad, but he's saying those things, like they're widely held opinions en masse, when it's the tiniest minority talking nonsense who aren't even worth talking about.

For a comparison, it would be like the MEN reporter talking about the Man United fans that are featured in Paddy Power's 'fan denial'. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

If the players or Mowbray read some of that stuff, I'm sure they would be perplexed. Granted it's an opinion piece, but you would see more factual and better thought out posts on here.

In fact I haven't even seen the biggest of looneys on here come out and say we should replace Mowbray with Warnock. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Exactly K-Hod.

The LT is still a powerful voice in east Lancs, a lot of folk use it as their main/only Rovers news outlet, so to read articles that paint the fan base in a negative outlet every week just pushes my buttons. As he often uses really minimal issues I.e a handful of idiots talking tripe on social media as the whole basis of his article.

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Yes lad, but he's saying those things, like they're opinions en masse, when it's the tiniest minority talking nonsense who aren't even worth talking about.

For a comparison, it would be like the MEN reporter talking about the Man United fans that are featured in Paddy Power 'fan denial'. 

Why do you think that PP make those videos as marketing? There is a constant deluge of reactionary emotive nonsense from fans on social media. All you’ve done using that example is point out how ridiculous and prevelant it is!

Obviously its scaled down for smaller clubs but I don’t see how saying there’s been some “astonishingly wrong headed muttering post defeat” is suggesting the general opinion at Ewood is that stupid.

Even the article suggesting we should trust TMs decisions in the transfer market is fine for me - I agreed at the time that those absolutely dogging the Rodwell signing are indulging in this ridiculous reactionary BS, which serves no purpose other than a cathartic outlet for people to moan.