BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers' mouth piece - the LT

34 minutes ago, Biz said:

Like or dislike the content - Smiths articles are his opinion pieces. How he formulated those opinions is up to him, and anyone with even an ounce of understanding of “clickbait” and modern “journalism” will know what sensationalism is. Have you listened to talkshite recently? It’s basically a constant advert for the latest manager betting odds - since in build up, analysis and actual commentary is only focused on the managers rep and “sack rating”.. Smiths articles are nowhere near this level of sensationalism! 

Whilst I can understand what you’re saying about the lack of actual “want” from actual rovers fans - there are short sighted and extremely negative comments all over this website about TM. If Smith has decided his opinion piece should reflect how baffling those comments are, then fair enough!

Journalism is probably at the lowest level it has ever been and Smith is no different. His reports, opinions or whatever, are usually far wide of the mark. I think you know it too by bringing up the state of other journalists in comparison to him.

There were, and are, a dozen "astonishingly wrong headed mutterings" to choose from but he chose to report a non-issue because it more suited the basis of his column. It's lazy, inaccurate and rightly deserves the criticism it gets.

• Moderation Lead
12 minutes ago, Biz said:

Why do you think that PP make those videos as marketing? There is a constant deluge of reactionary emotive nonsense from fans on social media. All you’ve done using that example is point out how ridiculous and prevelant it is!

Obviously its scaled down for smaller clubs but I don’t see how saying there’s been some “astonishingly wrong headed muttering post defeat” is suggesting the general opinion at Ewood is that stupid.

Even the article suggesting we should trust TMs decisions in the transfer market is fine for me - I agreed at the time that those absolutely dogging the Rodwell signing are indulging in this ridiculous reactionary BS, which serves no purpose other than a cathartic outlet for people to moan.

Like I said mate, he's using minority opinions to have a dig at the fans, when there's literally no need. 

Re the second line, like we're unique in that? Fans of EVERY.SINGLE.CLUB.ON.THE.PLANET won't be happy following defeat and dissect it to the nth degree. 

• Like 3

I think it's by the by that any opinion he decides to bash comes from the minority or the majority. The basis of this criticism against him is that the calls for sacking Mowbray and replacing them for Warnock simply don't exist. It's clear for all to see he's dug into the depths of twitter (or other social media) for a single (if it exists at all) comment that will provide him with the platform on which to write a column about how some fans' opinions simply don't come in line with reality - but of course his does. And they are right. Always. Regardless.

As previously mentioned it's the epitome of lazy. It's obviously been a slow time for news regarding Rovers (thank god) and Smith is looking for anything to capitalise on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Journalism is probably at the lowest level it has ever been and Smith is no different. His reports, opinions or whatever, are usually far wide of the mark. I think you know it too by bringing up the state of other journalists in comparison to him.

There were, and are, a dozen "astonishingly wrong headed mutterings" to choose from but he chose to report a non-issue because it more suited the basis of his column. It's lazy, inaccurate and rightly deserves the criticism it gets.

Hugely agree on the bold quote but I thought his column in the LET is an opinion piece? 

I just don’t have the same poor opinion as a few on here obviously.

Give it time though, I will be paying more attention to the rovers stories on their website in future. I gave up trying to load their articles online when Cryer was still around, and I doubt their advertising has toned down! Was impossible to even get through the pop ups.

Smith's is an opinion piece - you agree with him or you don't but he has every right to state his views and the LET shouldn't be castigated for giving him a forum to do so. 

Columnists do have to tread a fine line though between being thought provoking and unnecessarily controversial. I thought his latest effort was OK. 

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think it's by the by that any opinion he decides to bash comes from the minority or the majority. The basis of this criticism against him is that the calls for sacking Mowbray and replacing them for Warnock simply don't exist. It's clear for all to see he's dug into the depths of twitter (or other social media) for a single (if it exists at all) comment that will provide him with the platform on which to write a column about how some fans' opinions simply don't come in line with reality - but of course his does. And they are right. Always. Regardless.

As previously mentioned it's the epitome of lazy. It's obviously been a slow time for news regarding Rovers (thank god) and Smith is looking for anything to capitalise on. 

If you'd like though I'm sure Simon can ask Sharpe to let you be have an article too? If that's what you want..

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think I tend to follow Rovers quite well on social media and I have never once heard or read the suggestion of sacking Mowbray in favour of Neil Warnock. At least not often enough to suggest it warrants column space in the local newspaper. I think as a journalist at any level you have a responsibility to ensure your reports are fair and accurate. By putting forward a notion that enough fans have the view of sacking Mowbray that it warrants such a response isn't fair or accurate.

I have just been thinking the same thing. I read this forum regularly. I read the Rovers fans facebook page. I read Rovers related things on Twitter. I know many Rovers fans and live in the area.

I haven’t seen anybody suggest that Mowbray should be sacked! I certainly haven’t heard / read that he should be replaced by Warnock. 

Its strikes me as utter codswallop.Even if it was true and some jester had expressed this opinion, like you say, why has he reported it in the LT? It will only get back to Mowbray and the players and create a needless negative vibe. 

His old approach was to slag off the fans in the ground. He can’t do that anymore as the players are supported to the hilt.

So just make up some nonsense about online chatter re the sack and Warnock and hey presto you can carry on with the narrative regardless...

• Like 1

Surprised anyone is defending this article. He is making out that a big portion of rovers fans want TM out and Warnock in. How can anyone defend that is beyond me as I have not heard a single person suggest we should be binning TM. People will have their complaints on team selections and tactics but jeez, that is the same at every club up and down the country. 

• Like 2

He's looking for problems where there aren't any just to paint himself as more of a martyr to the cause probably. He's obviously entitled to his opinion but what kind of impression does that give to Mowbray and the players when it's so wide of the mark ?

Poor stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

It was a 35 minute cameo.

Still though, if it’s fair enough to make comments about him being “very poor”, why is it difficult to understand someone like Smith might want to share his own personal opinion too? They’re hardly match reports are they?

Plus, going off the mood and discussion here at times, I’d suggest there are a hell of a lot of posters who feel that Tony IS NOT the man to get this team promoted. If you think about it, if the objective is promotion - would those who seriously doubt TMs credentials be all too bothered if the hypothetical *insert Warnockesque name here* situation arose?

11 minutes ago, Biz said:

Still though, if it’s fair enough to make comments about him being “very poor”, why is it difficult to understand someone like Smith might want to share his own personal opinion too? They’re hardly match reports are they?

Plus, going off the mood and discussion here at times, I’d suggest there are a hell of a lot of posters who feel that Tony IS NOT the man to get this team promoted. If you think about it, if the objective is promotion - would those who seriously doubt TMs credentials be all too bothered if the hypothetical *insert Warnockesque name here* situation arose?

I never said that he shouldnt be entitled to his opinion. I just echo others that he is arguing against a point that is at best, hugely exaggerated. He mentioned the positive of the difference between Coyles team and todays team and he could have focused on that as a positive individual point. Instead he went well off on a tangent. He is entitled to an opinion just as I am entitled to state that its nonsense and based around nothing.

I also feel that your suggestion is unfounded. Mowbray isnt perfect, he will make mistakes and decisions people agree with, we are on an internet messageboard, people give their opinions (as Simon did and is entitled to) and obviously sometimes those opinions are heated in terms of criticising players and the manager when the frustration is raw.

You may see Mowbray got it wrong crop up but its never with the punchline that he should go as a result. The fanbase is unifed behind Mowbray and its both incorrect and a bit underhand to state otherwise.

As I said before, the fairest way to prove either of us right or wrong is a poll, is Mowbray the man to take us forward. 

I think the vast majority of people on here do think Mowbray is the man to get us promoted. Or at least believe he should be given the chance.

However I'd be less sure about whether he'd be the man to take us on from there. He does not have an imposing record of Premiership management after all.

However, in my view, as I've already said, having got us up, TM would deserve his chance to continue to lead us.

The problem on here is that some posters can't take any criticism of TM at all. He has his faults and they would be magnified in the Premiership.

As for Warnock, he is good at getting teams promoted but that's where it ends.

9 hours ago, 47er said:

I think the vast majority of people on here do think Mowbray is the man to get us promoted. Or at least believe he should be given the chance.

However I'd be less sure about whether he'd be the man to take us on from there. He does not have an imposing record of Premiership management after all.

However, in my view, as I've already said, having got us up, TM would deserve his chance to continue to lead us.

The problem on here is that some posters can't take any criticism of TM at all. He has his faults and they would be magnified in the Premiership.

As for Warnock, he is good at getting teams promoted but that's where it ends.

I think most can handle people discussing his weaknesses(faults) but it's when posters come on and say things like he wouldn't be the man to take us on if he got us to the Premiership! 

He has done far, far more good than bad during his time here. IF he somehow got us promoted, he would be the only man for the job of keeping us up. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 47er said:

As I said, if he gets us up, he deserves the chance to carry on. And then be judged on how we do.

Would you have it any other way?

You said he deserves the chance, with the caveat about his record there. Just seems like an odd discussion point when I am pretty sure he would be the biggest hero since Jack Walker if he managed to mastermind a return to the Premiership from where he found the club. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Well of course he would be and I'd put any doubts I had aside for the the duration of his hopefully successful run!

The "caveat"  I made about his past Premiership experience is simply the truth, doesn't mean he's doomed does it?

I think if would be a very dull MB if everyone felt the same which is often how you seem to want it.

Offering him a 6 year contract now was your suggestion, bit too deferential and naive, imo.

Nonsense again from Smith, we didn’t ‘lose 10,000 fans between 1995 and relegation in 99’ at all

Our average crowd on relegation was roughly the same as it was in the title winning season. Even in the second tier for two seasons until 2001 we averaged around 20,000. With average crowds back to title winning levels between 2001 and 2003.

Of course it will all be lapped up under the line on the LT website.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16990084.there-is-a-new-rovers-to-support-simon-smith-column/?ref=mr&lp=12

• Like 1