BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Citeh 1989

Jock

Ive got it in my head that we had the Darwen End when we played City on the 15th April when we beat them 4-0. Is this wrong?

I can certainly remember Garner running Redmond ragged that day.

We did have the Darwen End for a few matches around that time.

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Garner got a hat-trick on that fateful day (for other reasons)

I can't remember if we had the Darwen End as I was in the Blackburn End, but I doubt it as City always brought a good following even then

They always did bring loads but the gate was only 16000 and I thought it was all ticket. I thought we had the Darwen End  and they only had the Nuttal St paddock from half way line up to the Darwen End.

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

1min 24 on this video shows Garner scoring that day in front on a glum looking Darwen End full of Bluenoses :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSfRmtJBHs

It shows all of this hat-trick. The 2nd and 3rd goals were brilliant efforts

Your right Shaun.

Does anyone know the matches in the late 80's when Rovers fans had the Darwen End?

Was on the Blackburn End when Garner got his third. Stood right behind it from start to finish. Brilliant goal. Very tidy striker / player Garner who should have played higher up. Very cute near to goal, bright and aware and did his fair share of chasing lost causes and running the channels. 40 park drive a day didn't help.

I remember Alex Williams Citehs goalie around that time getting pelted with bananas as he approached the BE. Took one peeled it and ate some. Respected the guy for how he handled himself that day. Racist undercurrents, fan violence, terrace disasters, terrible amenities, yet i loved it so much more than todays sanitised offering. Proud to follow my team anywhere. You felt truly alive going to the Rovers, watching players with an affinity to the club and fans. Now its akin to attending a funeral of someone you didnt know too well and whilst i have no problem with those still attending, i wonder why they go to sit on their hands in stony silence. 

Magical days at Rovers in the late 80's.

4 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Was on the Blackburn End when Garner got his third. Stood right behind it from start to finish. Brilliant goal. Very tidy striker / player Garner who should have played higher up. Very cute near to goal, bright and aware and did his fair share of chasing lost causes and running the channels. 40 park drive a day didn't help.

I remember Alex Williams Citehs goalie around that time getting pelted with bananas as he approached the BE. Took one peeled it and ate some. Respected the guy for how he handled himself that day. Racist undercurrents, fan violence, terrace disasters, terrible amenities, yet i loved it so much more than todays sanitised offering. Proud to follow my team anywhere. You felt truly alive going to the Rovers, watching players with an affinity to the club and fans. Now its akin to attending a funeral of someone you didnt know too well and whilst i have no problem with those still attending, i wonder why they go to sit on their hands in stony silence. 

Magical days at Rovers in the late 80's.

Nice summation of following Rovers at that time.....happy days.

The club was as one,everyone pulling in the same direction from top to bottom.Club had not a pot to piss in,no Billy big Bollocks players but a team full of grafters who gave their all for the fans and the appreciation flowed both ways.

The old Ewood was well past its best but on matchday it always had an atmosphere.

Some of Simon Garners goals would have graced the top league.

8 hours ago, blue kiwi said:

We had the Darren end when we played Bradford who I think got promoted.around Xmas time 87 I reckon.

It was still for away fans then but got infiltrated and ended up split down the middle :)

New Years day or something like that it was, a lot couldn't get in so went home. People sitting up to take notice of Rovers again around that time thanks to Mackay and co. I'd like to think that could be recreated at some point although doubt it'll ever happen under this lot. The lower the club sinks the better the comeback should feel though.

9 hours ago, Leavers Pies said:

I remember being in the darwen end when Hendry made it 3-3 or 4-3 in last minute.  Can't remember who it was against.

Leicester? 

There was a famous 5-4 against Palace and I'm sure Colin scored the winner - but that was at the BBE.

Just now, meadows said:

That was also the case against Leicester in a 3-3 draw that's available on You Tube  Mike Newell got sent off for them and there are scenes of unabandoned Darwen End joy as Hendry earns us a point from 3-1 down  

There you are then Mr Pies! It was Leicester you were thinking of.

I vaguely recall a game v Sheff Utd around that time and they were in the DE enclosure, not many of them although i'm almost certain that Villa game they had all the Darwen end. Riverside shut but rest of old ground i never saw it more packed but they probably gave the gate as 12,500k :lol:

I'm sure I watched Rovers beat City from the Darwen End once. Is it the season before 3-2?

The Bradford match was a last minute decision to push us in there with them. I went in for that one after the Blackburn End was filled.

There was Definatley a game vs city ,a couple of years before that game , i think it was when the riverside ws being rebuilt , that the Darwen was "shared" between city and rovers supporters , we scored their fans surged and my cousin was crushed against one of the metal barriers , a scary prelude to what was going to happen at Hillsborough

1 hour ago, meadows said:

Sheff Utd game with their fans in Enclosure possibly last game on Blackburn  End 92 ish?

Wednesday that last game i think it was. Deffo played Sheff Utd late 80's and they were in there as mates dad was a blade and i remember him saying they'd bring about 2k but there was only a few hundred huddled in there and we ripped into him afterwards.

27 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Never understood why they didn't utilise the corner terrace between the Darwen End and Riverside for Rovers fans at that time unless it was deemed unfit to use...you very rarely saw the Darwen End packed to capacity.

Never recall seeing anyone in there ever in my time of going although i do remember one lot breaching it from the DE to get at the riversiders, think that might have been City.

Just now, tomphil said:

Wednesday that last game i think it was. Deffo played Sheff Utd late 80's and they were in there as mates dad was a blade and i remember him saying they'd bring about 2k but there was only a few hundred huddled in there and we ripped into him afterwards.

Would love to see footage of that last BBE game v Wednesday,the old terrace was packed with many more than usual..it took a long time to empty after the final whistle too as many stayed behind.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Never recall seeing anyone in there ever in my time of going although i do remember one lot breaching it from the DE to get at the riversiders, think that might have been City.

It was probably because there was a floodlight in there. You know the score, a couple of pints or so, temptation gets the better of you. Next minute 200 ft up, match called off, fire brigade have to rescue you and you're on the local news. We've all been there. 

1 hour ago, bob fleming said:

It was probably because there was a floodlight in there. You know the score, a couple of pints or so, temptation gets the better of you. Next minute 200 ft up, match called off, fire brigade have to rescue you and you're on the local news. We've all been there. 

Ha ha fair point. No doubt some Geordie or suchlike would've been straight up there like the DE roof girders :lol:

Although Sunderland at Roker we were stuffed in a corner around a floodlight pylon but you'd have needed bardwire proof clothes if you felt the inclination to scale it.

Archived