BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Owl in peace

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sirobozne said:

Steele has cost us point after point this season. It's more of a risk leaving him in than dropping him. You haven't seen a young keeper play properly in a couple of years yet you seem clear he isn't better than that joker Steele, couldn't make it up.

Couldn't make you up what are you 12 or something. 

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Gallagher likely out for some time. Second from bottom. Most clueless manager in football (just behind some dickhead in Brunei). Yet some feel we'll steer clear of relegation? 

Should be back for Burton away if only a few stitches or have I missed something?

Softest red card you'll see all season, unless he was using foul language.

I think Akpan's momentum carries him into the crowd of players and he places (brushes) his finger tips on the official and then apologised before he went for the card.

The ref should've saved himself a l paperwork and just said 'Easy Tiger' given him a warning and a yellow card for the dissent.

Blackburn can't even appeal it because the rules are the rules. But the red could've handled that much better. There's no winners with that decision.

Just now, sirobozne said:

Raya played 5 games at the start of last season when he was 19/20 yet you're sure he's no better than the worst number 1 I've ever seen at Rovers?

I gave my opinion that i don't think it would make any difference to the team and i'll flip it on it's head and say what makes YOU think that he's any better ?

I don't rate Steele that was clear and the jury is out on Raya obviously. If we'd nothing to play for i'd put him in for sure.

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wanted Grayson or Monk. But lets going over the same thing over and over again.

I wasn't picking the manager was I tho? I am Rovers fan not on the Board FFS.

People to blame are Venkys, Pasha and Cheston

And Robinson. And Jackett. And Hill. And Sherwood. And McCarthy. And Ainsworth and on and on......

Just now, LDRover said:

And Robinson. And Jackett. And Hill. And Sherwood. And McCarthy. And Ainsworth and on and on......

Not to mention the 50+ players he's mentioned and then shouted how right he was when 5 of them turned out good 

Just now, cop said:

Softest red card you'll see all season, unless he was using foul language.

I think Akpan's momentum carries him into the crowd of players and he places (brushes) his finger tips on the official and then apologised before he went for the card.

The ref should've saved himself a l paperwork and just said 'Easy Tiger' given him a warning and a yellow card for the dissent.

Blackburn can't even appeal it because the rules are the rules. But the red could've handled that much better. There's no winners with that decision.

No point in blaming the card. It was the refs decision

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

Neither should qprs, swings and roundabouts

So you've seen a conclusive angle (photo or video) which shows the whole of the ball crossing the whole of the line? I haven't.

Just been watching that video of Akpan's red card again. Wonder if we can make a case for mistaken identity. No way did Akpan's brush generate such momentum. It must have been Lowe with a side arm blow.

Let's get the 4 game transferred.

#saveourseason

Even though we rarely win and accumulate points very slowly we are still not cut adrift! Funny old division a few twists and turns to come.

Sounds like we were a tad unlucky as well last night going forward, but as others quite rightly point out there is nothing unlucky about conceeding two most matches.

29 points from 31 matches. 15 left to play. 14 points from those matches gives us 43 in total which wont be enough. Need to up our percentages rapido.

I can only comment on the Radio Lancs commentary, so will defer to anyone that was there.

It sounded like we did ok first half (horrendous defending aside), however 2nd half it sounds like tools were downed on more than one occasion. Not a good sign.

Sadly, the Rovers look like the classic relegation recipe at the moment - concede soft goals, struggle to score themselves, and too often on the wrong end of refereeing decisions.  Every relegation I've seen at Ewood since 65-66 has contained all these elements and this season is no different.  We looked every bit as good as Wednesday but conceded our usual two goals from set pieces - when will we learn to defend free-kicks and corners and when will Steele come off his line and dominate the six yard box?  As an attacking force our build up play looked very good until it came to the final third and then we struggled to find the right pass - indeed any sort of pass - that would get Graham in a goalscoring position.  Mahoney looked the pick of our players until he tired and Lenihan had another good game at the back.  Luck certainly wasn't on our side last night and we deserved far more than we got.  However, hard luck stories aren't going to stop us going down.  Something needs to change to give us a chance and with the window firmly shut - not that it was ever open at Ewood - a change of manager and some fresh ideas are about all that might save us.  Sadly, I suspect one of the relegation places already has our name on it.

14 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Sadly, the Rovers look like the classic relegation recipe at the moment - concede soft goals, struggle to score themselves, and too often on the wrong end of refereeing decisions.  Every relegation I've seen at Ewood since 65-66 has contained all these elements and this season is no different.  We looked every bit as good as Wednesday but conceded our usual two goals from set pieces - when will we learn to defend free-kicks and corners and when will Steele come off his line and dominate the six yard box?  As an attacking force our build up play looked very good until it came to the final third and then we struggled to find the right pass - indeed any sort of pass - that would get Graham in a goalscoring position.  Mahoney looked the pick of our players until he tired and Lenihan had another good game at the back.  Luck certainly wasn't on our side last night and we deserved far more than we got.  However, hard luck stories aren't going to stop us going down.  Something needs to change to give us a chance and with the window firmly shut - not that it was ever open at Ewood - a change of manager and some fresh ideas are about all that might save us.  Sadly, I suspect one of the relegation places already has our name on it.

There are a few us around Parsonblue who have seen every relegation since 65-66.  I'm a tad more optimistic than you on this one.  Despite Coyley, we've enough quality in the likes of Mulgrew, Gallagher, Graham supported by the likes of Lenihan, Hoban. Evans and Bennett to scrape through this by the skin of our teeth given a fair run with injuries.  The facts are we've put in some decent performances, especially against the better teams, we aren't getting walloped, we aren't cut adrift (it's so tight down there) and I believe just 46 points will keep us up so 17 points from 15 games shouldn't be too much of a stretch (some posters thinking we need 50 to 55 points is ridiculous).  Yep, I think a change of manager would be an enormous boost but even Coyley will just about get us through this.  Keep the faith.

I don't want to get into the game of blaming the officials. I know that's what Coyle would want us all to do and think that poor Rovers are 2nd bottom of the league because of things beyond our control, which is nonsense.

But, the actions of the officials in the last 20 minutes in particular were scandalous, and at the very least they should be suspended from games and investigated for their conduct. No denying that by the letter of the law Akpan should have had a red card. As soon as you react like that and make contact with the referee you leave yourself open to having the book thrown at you. But for the referee to go into the territory of simulation in an attempt to make Akpan's conduct appear worse than it was is a disgrace and he should be taken to disciplinary for that alone. Watching the referee's reaction you'd think he'd been shoved a la Di Canio all those years ago. I haven't seen a replay of the one that might have crossed the line but my immediate reaction was that it hadn't gone in. As usual the linesman was about 10-15 yards off the goalline when the ball landed so he couldn't/wouldn't have given it anyway.

Very much usual service in the game. The only surprise was how poor Wednesday were for a so-called top side in this league. It goes to show that everyone is much of a muchness and the resilient and consistent teams are those that rise to the top end. Those that are inconsistent in performances, selection, application and concede soft goals every week are the ones who drop. Bucket loads of possession as is often the case but with very little end product, a lack of urgency and no penetration. Countless occasions where we get forward into a decent position before the ball ends up back with our CBs and so begins another 5-10 pass routine with little to show for it.

We only seem to really play with any real urgency in the last 10-15 minutes when trailing in a game. It happened at Rotherham and probably our 2 best chances came in that spell, it happened again last night. Only when we're staring down the barrel of another defeat then we suddenly seem to apply pressure and look dangerous.

That's twice we've played Wednesday this season with 0 points to show for it despite being arguably the best side for the majority of both games. Yet they can defend properly for large spells when under pressure and take their chances when they do come along.

Walking back to the car afterwards we spoke to two different Sheffield Wednesday fans who both said they couldn't believe we were 2nd bottom and couldn't believe we'd lost last night. Very easy to say when you've just got away with a win when not playing well I suppose, but I do think it shows that this squad has the ability in its ranks to cause problems in this league and the installation of a manager who can drill the team to defend better and stop giving away goals every week would give us a better chance of survival.

Archived