BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

5 minutes ago, den said:

If?

boro wanted rid, he’s not been able to get into Sheffield weds team until recently and Scotland wrote him off years ago. Huddersfield did well with the money, - they never missed him, -  just as we could have done if Venkys had kept their word.

i ve never said that he was a good player or something.. what i am saying is that if a player scores 80+ goals in 150+ games for any other club, the fans will probably have him as a legend. thats just my opinion tho cause i really like the guy. he seemed like a nice bloke , scored some improtant goals and kinda saved us of going down to league one in one of our darkest days. he dose not have to be as good as ronaldinho to be considerеd as a legend. at least in my eyes

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is quite hilarious how certain posters still cannot come to terms with their getting it so wrong with the Rhodes sale and their only defence is to continue to slag him.

Thinking that the sale proceeds would be reinvested???? Venkys had plenty of form by then to point you in the right direction of what would happen.

Simple fact is that Rhodes was a star for Rovers, scored plenty of goals and kept us in the Championship.

I do not give a flying feck on Rhodes at Boro, SW or Scotland or on possibly not being good enough for the PL

He did the job for us. Check the records. End of.

9 minutes ago, den said:

If?

boro wanted rid, he’s not been able to get into Sheffield weds team until recently and Scotland wrote him off years ago. Huddersfield did well with the money, - they never missed him, -  just as we could have done if Venkys had kept their word.

You're baffling vendetta against Rhodes ignores one of the most obvious facts, in our first full season without him we were relegated.

If he was anywhere near as bad as you make out we'd have thrived in his absence or at least his absence wouldnt have hurt us and wed still be in the Championship.

9 hours ago, Mark45 said:

His scoring record stands up with every other top striker we have ever had, but people say hes not a good footballer,isn't footballers job about scoring goals of your a stiker/?

No it doesn't -  Shearer/Sutton/Mccarthy etc were all scoring in the top division and I'm sure there are many other examples before my time.  Comparable to Garner yes, but I would have Garner on the team sheet ahead of Rhodes every time.

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It is quite hilarious how certain posters still cannot come to terms with their getting it so wrong with the Rhodes sale and their only defence is to continue to slag him.

Thinking that the sale proceeds would be reinvested???? Venkys had plenty of form by then to point you in the right direction of what would happen.

Simple fact is that Rhodes was a star for Rovers, scored plenty of goals and kept us in the Championship.

I do not give a flying feck on Rhodes at Boro, SW or Scotland or on possibly not being good enough for the PL

Correct. Scotland, and Strachan, in particular went from strength to strength after he was binned. Oh, wait...

7 hours ago, skous18 said:

Well if I have to be honest I can not really think of many... Actually someone said some time ago that Gamst has been very poor for us, not consistent enough and not even close to a legend of the club, so what do i know.. 

That's the crux of the issue really. Any half decent player can be regarded as " legends " these days. Ronnie and Dougie, Andy Mac, Fred Pickering, Mike England , Keith Newton were my idea of legends. Coming up to date Shearer, Hendrey, Friedel etc were legends.

Is Batty a legend in your book or Paul Warhurst or Le Saux ? They were all top players in their time., 

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You're baffling vendetta against Rhodes ignores one of the most obvious facts, in our first full season without him we were relegated.

If he was anywhere near as bad as you make out we'd have thrived in his absence or at least his absence wouldnt have hurt us and wed still be in the Championship.

Going to ask one last time how the pro Rhodes fans feel about the penalty refusal? He's a nice guy but that was ridiculous. 

Remember Wolves had Steve Bull in their side and couldn't get promoted to the top flight. I'm not totally familiar with his overall style but my impression is he was probably far more of a team player than Rhodes. OK Middlesbrough got promoted but who's to say that wouldn't have happened anyway?

It will be a long long time before we see a player of Rhodes ability playing for Rovers again. A welcome distraction as we continue to sink into the abyss on a diet of garbage that we can discuss the days of 20-30 goal a season £8 million strikers in the Championship and debate whether he's good enough for the Premier League. None of those things we'll have to worry about at Ewood Park any time soon.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Going to ask one last time how the pro Rhodes fans feel about the penalty refusal? He's a nice guy but that was ridiculous. 

Remember Wolves had Steve Bull in their side and couldn't get promoted to the top flight. I'm not totally familiar with his overall style but my impression is he was probably far more of a team player than Rhodes. OK Middlesbrough got promoted but who's to say that wouldn't have happened anyway?

Steve Bull would be able to run faster than Rhodes if he'd have been running backwards. Plus he put himself about. I'd have rather played against Rhodes than Bull any day. He was good enough to play for England when that actually meant something.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's the crux of the issue really. Any half decent player can be regarded as " legends " these days. Ronnie and Dougie, Andy Mac, Fred Pickering, Mike England , Keith Newton were my idea of legends. Coming up to date Shearer, Hendrey, Friedel etc were legends.

Is Batty a legend in your book or Paul Warhurst or Le Saux ? They were all top players in their time., 

I am a bit younger to remember those 3 properly but if u ask about any players after 2000 i will tell you cause the players who i consider as legends are the ones that made me love Rovers more. aka dunn pedersen tugay robinson etc

56 minutes ago, skous18 said:

I am a bit younger to remember those 3 properly but if u ask about any players after 2000 i will tell you cause the players who i consider as legends are the ones that made me love Rovers more. aka dunn pedersen tugay robinson etc

There's not many advantages to being ancient but one of them is you've seen more games and players than most. This gives you a sense of perspective. My grandson has only just started watching Rovers, I could see him growing up thinking Charlie Mulgrew is a legend.

20 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Where did I say that I thought the money would be reinvested? I argued that it was madness to have a player as poor as him, carrying such a huge valuation (thanks to ignorance of Shelby Singh) while we had no money to improve a pitifully bad side. I also argued that without him and with a better technical striker the TEAM would score more goals. Which we did. His fans said we couldn’t possibly do that.

19 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We were relegated after selling almost an entire squad Rev. 

28 minutes ago, rossyrover said:

Wish we had him now his goals would see the Rovers promoted lets hope Joe Nuttall can come up with the goods. 

I'm not so sure he would thrive in this team. The number of clear cut chances we make is very small. It's not like we're murdering teams but just can't put the ball in the net and we're missing chances galore is it ? The chances aren't really there for Rhodes to put away unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

If Jordan had done that in a Rovers shirt I would have given him both barrels, and then reloaded. If it had costed us a promotion I would have binned him, or had him knee-capped ;)

He didn't so basically I could not care less.

My view is that Jordan was a good team player and gave confidence to other players who knew his scoring ability. He is not a Rovers Legend but was a damm fine goal scorer for us. Much maligned by some.

Steve Bull was more the old fashioned Centre Forward.  Not the tallest of CFs by a very good header of the ball and a powerful shot. Fantastic career at Wolves covering Divisions 2, 3 and 4. I think he was first picked by England when Wolves were still 3rd Division.

Never picked up by a big club and never made it to the 1st Division so he had his limitations too.

• 1 month later...

Archived