BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Sheffield Wednesday have really lost their way not just Rhodes, but take your point TS.

The foreign owner has assured the locals he wants a big name manager, be interesting to see who comes in.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, den said:

Much maligned by SWFC fans as well.

Searching the Wednesday messageboards for critique on an ex Rover?

Got to say that is so so sad.

Personally I do not give a shite on how he's doing post Rovers.

Happy New Year and hope you get the fixation fixed.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Den has a deep interest in football in general and there are plenty of other posters from BRFCS who are interested in the progress, or otherwise, of our ex players. There’s probably even more who like to spend time reading opposing fans views. 

Taking an interest on things outside of Ewood is far from sad, finding it necessary to insult those fans says plenty about your views. 

On the player I saw Rhodes play for SW at Preston first game of the season. I only realised he was in the team when he was subbed. 

• Backroom
5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That's twitter, I saw the same tweet without searching for it.

As with his time with us he's a great goalscorer if a team is set up around him but that often hinders the rest of the team, he doesn't have enough in his game to adapt to other roles when asked. 

39 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder would he come here on loan? Get his career back on track. Numerous times this season we have let wins turn into draws due to not taking our chances while ahead. He would be ideal to put the ball in the net and finish games off. 

Not a chance. Dream on!

52 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder would he come here on loan? Get his career back on track. Numerous times this season we have let wins turn into draws due to not taking our chances while ahead. He would be ideal to put the ball in the net and finish games off. 

I think we d have to make a hell of a lot more chances than we do now for Rhodes to be a success 

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

I think we d have to make a hell of a lot more chances than we do now for Rhodes to be a success 

That's the problem. We're not making enough clear chances in games.  Dack's making goals out of nothing at the moment other than that we're struggling. Apart from Dack no really creative centre midfield play and the major issue - hardly any penetrative wing play at all.

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

3 hours ago, Tom said:

That's twitter, I saw the same tweet without searching for it.

As with his time with us he's a great goalscorer if a team is set up around him but that often hinders the rest of the team, he doesn't have enough in his game to adapt to other roles when asked. 

Yes, I didn’t go searching for it, it appeared on Twitter. 

As Paul also said, there’s nothing wrong with commenting on former players, especially one who was so much in the limelight. After all, didn’t someone recall him on this thread a short time ago after he scored a goal or two.

Tom summed him up perfectly.

10 minutes ago, den said:

Yes, I didn’t go searching for it, it appeared on Twitter. 

As Paul also said, there’s nothing wrong with commenting on former players, especially one who was so much in the limelight. After all, didn’t someone recall him on this thread a short time ago after he scored a goal or two.

Tom summed him up perfectly.

Sorry I thought it was from a messageboard. I don't do Twitter so don't really know how it operates. 

I did respond to Paul but my post seems to have been disappeared

He was always lightweight and he's a lurker not a worker which isn't unusual for a goal poacher but they do usually have some other trait like short bursts of pace of towering heading ability.

JR never had any of those but he did have raw hunger in his earlier years that helped make him at Huddersfield and I think what we saw at Ewood was the finished article and probably his peak years. He'll be the same wherever he goes now because he's no edge to him several huge moves and probably a million or two in the bank have seen to that and now what you have is a very low side of average player who belongs as a ten goal + a season talisman at a mid/lower championship regular club.

The right manager and set up will still be able to utilise his talent in front of goal but it probably won't be at a big club with demanding fans.

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The right manager and set up will still be able to utilise his talent in front of goal but it probably won't be at a big club with demanding fans.

Ironically I actually think Rhodes would score plenty for a bigger club that created a lot of chances for him to get on the end of. His problem is that generally these clubs can sign players who can score goals and have a better all-around game so he's stuck in a weird niche as a poacher for teams that don't create many chances. 

Yeah he has had a number of relatively ( in this world of insane transfer fees) big moves in recent years and those signing n fees add up alongside a cushy monthly wage. Lost his head in a big way it seems...bottling a penalty? He never misses them. Something not right there. Perhaps the realization that he had reached his level in the Championship and that he does not have the skillset to be a PL star put paid to his desire.

• Backroom

Lambert was on a no lose situation with Rovers, basket case of a club on a downward spiral; no expectation to do anything.

I liked the look of what he was starting but I feel he was always looking at potentially getting out of dodge and move onto another role when his name was remembered again.

Think he still has potential to do really well at he right club and will get the most from Nuhui and Joao

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nuhui and Joao arent Championship players.

They are they both play for Sheffield Wednesday - in the Championship :P

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

Lambert was on a no lose situation with Rovers, basket case of a club on a downward spiral; no expectation to do anything.

I liked the look of what he was starting but I feel he was always looking at potentially getting out of dodge and move onto another role when his name was remembered again.

Think he still has potential to do really well at he right club and will get the most from Nuhui and Joao

Agree - said at the time that we were a win-win for him. Ready made excuse with our owners and he got himself back into club management. 

On 08/11/2017 at 21:08, den said:

Well I’ll go with that.

Sadly.

I find it hilarious that people are still banging on about how far we have fallen.

1974/5 Division 3 when I first got hooked. So like most teams, we have seen the ups and downs of football in that time. We have been more fortunate than most to have seen some top talent (and silverware) in that ride, but I can honestly say that I am enjoying watching Rovers more now than I have for many, many years (including the last 5 or 6 in the PL).

Oh, and Jordan Rhodes? Quickly forgotten

Archived