BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Connor Mahoney's contract

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they had the slightest interest in profiting from player trading then they would have invested some money into signing young up and coming players before selling them in a few years for multi-millions, as was the aim and successful project under Gary Bowyer. Their decision to sack him off, and the decisions since then ranging from strange to downright suspicious, suggest the decision makers at this club no longer want to make money out of player trading. If they did then people like Mahoney would have been nailed down to a long term contract months ago. To not even recognise the importance of securing young players on contracts costing minimal money in the grand scheme of things, and likely miss out on millions in future value, leads to yet more conspiracy theories about what really is the point in this club these days. It isn't to be successful, it isn't to get promoted, it isn't to survive in the Championship, and it isn't to make as much money as possible.

Just now, JHRover said:

If they had the slightest interest in profiting from player trading then they would have invested some money into signing young up and coming players before selling them in a few years for multi-millions, as was the aim and successful project under Gary Bowyer. Their decision to sack him off, and the decisions since then ranging from strange to downright suspicious, suggest the decision makers at this club no longer want to make money out of player trading. If they did then people like Mahoney would have been nailed down to a long term contract months ago. To not even recognise the importance of securing young players on contracts costing minimal money in the grand scheme of things, and likely miss out on millions in future value, leads to yet more conspiracy theories about what really is the point in this club these days. It isn't to be successful, it isn't to get promoted, it isn't to survive in the Championship, and it isn't to make as much money as possible.

Wait until the next club/supporters bi-annual forum in March when Mike 'Powerpoint' Cheston will tell us all how well everything is going.

When it comes to Venkys, "committed" means it won't happen. The fact that this article exists means that contract talks have stalled; we know the script. If clubs weren't aware of Mahoney's talent before, they certainly are since Sunday, and will now be aware of his contract situation. He's a stand-out prospect and you can see what an absolute talent he'll turn into.

If he really is only on £1.2K p/w, then Christ, get this sorted out now and offer him £10K. There's absolutely no doubt that he'll be worth it, even if we end up selling him later. Just get it done.

On another point, I read Mahoney's comments in that article regarding our relegation situation with interest. Fans often berate managers for the "same old same old" comments, not keeping their big traps shut, spewing BS to the fans, etc. Aside from the contract bit, if you'd have attributed Mahoney's comments to Coyle, or Bowyer, or any other manager that's gone before (bar Kean!), they wouldn't be out of place, would they? Manager-speak to the media is boring in general, and not just something attributed to Coyle. It's just par for the course for managers to make comments like that, and well worth ignoring.

Losing Mahoney will be the latest in a never-ending list of blows. But supporting Rovers aside, why would he want to stay here with nutjobs for owners and a motormouth for manager who spends more time with the lads on the ping pong table than he does the footie pitch? It'll be gutting IF we ever have sanity restored in the boardroom and he's plying his trade down the road - but that day seems forever away right about now so there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be off. Same for Lenihan who Senior is no doubt whoring around the Championship as I type.

Just now, Phil T said:

On another point, I read Mahoney's comments in that article regarding our relegation situation with interest. Fans often berate managers for the "same old same old" comments, not keeping their big traps shut, spewing BS to the fans, etc. Aside from the contract bit, if you'd have attributed Mahoney's comments to Coyle, or Bowyer, or any other manager that's gone before (bar Kean!), they wouldn't be out of place, would they? Manager-speak to the media is boring in general, and not just something attributed to Coyle. It's just par for the course for managers to make comments like that, and well worth ignoring.

Except this is happening at Ewood far too often and always ends the same way. What reason is there for not playing him other than it triggers a wage increase which Venkys won"t sanction? Fancy treating a Rovers player who is a fan that way. Not as if the players who are picked are doing that well is it?

All Coyle is doing is covering up for the idiot owners. Shameful.

I hoping Mahoney signs a new contract. I would be offering him a 5 year contract with 5k a week and 20% per year rise on top of that. 

Rovers should have tie up his contract 18 months ago. Slow management..

I would also be offering new long term contract to Nyambe, Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Wharton and Platt. They are the future of the club

Just now, 47er said:

Except this is happening at Ewood far too often and always ends the same way. What reason is there for not playing him other than it triggers a wage increase which Venkys won"t sanction? Fancy treating a Rovers player who is a fan that way. Not as if the players who are picked are doing that well is it?

Wonder how Coyle fits in to all this though, look at the Wharton situation that was either contractual which of course they all denied of it was down to Coyle. Similar with Conner he's been very reluctant to use him but now Seniors here, who has form for moving youth on ask Charlton, he's suddenly involved. If CM stays then it's pressure on Coyle to play him ahead of his pet and pals boy Feeney.

Is wee Owen a bit threatened by this and not keen on keeping Conner who'll obviously be more popular with fans than him or most players he brings in ?  Add in he's determined to get Barnes in the building.....

Just now, 47er said:

It's been like this for a while now, as far back as when Bowyer was in charge (edit: well, since Venkys took over I suspect). I'm sure a couple of seasons back there were some rumblings from the Mahoney camp about the lack of game time (his dad?) or something or other. If they knew or suspected that his football was being adversely affected because of some financial stipulation, surely they wouldn't have done nothing about it for two or three years.

Nevertheless, it speaks volumes about how highly rated he is (and seriously so, not this confetti-type "highly rated") despite the little game-play he's had over the years. He is now on the radar, and rightly so. The only hope of us keeping hold of him is two-fold; staying in this league AND promising him a place in the starting XI. Other than that, he'll be off, and that doesn't even take into account a bigger club publicly showing interest in him.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I hoping Mahoney signs a new contract. I would be offering him a 5 year contract with 5k a week and 20% per year rise on top of that. 

I would also be offering new long term contract to Nyambe, Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Wharton and Platt. They are the future of the club

They should be the future of the club. There's a big difference here between what should happen and what will happen.

Im for one am yet to be convinced he can do us any job, but that comes with seeing him more, and seeing him on the left rather than on the right hand side every time he makes an appearance. Im sure im about to get shot down for this but heres my 10ps worth. Yes he looked good against utd taking on players, but he has 1 foot, his left, we play him on the right and hes a 1 trick pony that tries to cut in and take a player on, Im yet to see the boy wonder deliver a decent ball in. It sounds like im killing him but im not, I would like to see him on the left where he can naturally use his left foot rather than having to cut in or go back because he cant use his right. Against Wednesday he had 1 trick which was a roll over and tried to cut in, or had to go backwards because he has no right foot, and wednesday got on that early when he came on. I would just like to see the lad down the left being a winger and supplying our strikers rather than having to cut in every time he has the ball and being the next andros townsend type of player. Wingers are there to supply and are judged on assists, not goals. Get him out wide left and lets see what he can give the strikers.

If I was being left out for Feeney in a team 2nd bottom from the league I'd probably get out of there as soon as possible.

I thought Tomlinson looked decent too when he came on yet the useless Lowe and Akpan get picked automatically.

For whatever reason the club has been awful at developing youth players in the last 5 years.

Just now, ruggles1995 said:

Im for one am yet to be convinced he can do us any job, but that comes with seeing him more, and seeing him on the left rather than on the right hand side every time he makes an appearance. Im sure im about to get shot down for this but heres my 10ps worth. Yes he looked good against utd taking on players, but he has 1 foot, his left, we play him on the right and hes a 1 trick pony that tries to cut in and take a player on, Im yet to see the boy wonder deliver a decent ball in. It sounds like im killing him but im not, I would like to see him on the left where he can naturally use his left foot rather than having to cut in or go back because he cant use his right. Against Wednesday he had 1 trick which was a roll over and tried to cut in, or had to go backwards because he has no right foot, and wednesday got on that early when he came on. I would just like to see the lad down the left being a winger and supplying our strikers rather than having to cut in every time he has the ball and being the next andros townsend type of player. Wingers are there to supply and are judged on assists, not goals. Get him out wide left and lets see what he can give the strikers.

What's the good of crosses when we never win a header? The defenders always cut them off. The only one who ever wins a header is Gallagher and he is injured. Mahoney is the best type of winger for our strikers he plays it to feet.

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But was he performing well last year? I heard he had gone off the boil for one reason or another, you can't blame the club for being cautious with youngsters but now he is back on track we need to get a good offer to him

7 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Never did arjen robben any harm

34 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Im for one am yet to be convinced he can do us any job, but that comes with seeing him more, and seeing him on the left rather than on the right hand side every time he makes an appearance. Im sure im about to get shot down for this but heres my 10ps worth. Yes he looked good against utd taking on players, but he has 1 foot, his left, we play him on the right and hes a 1 trick pony that tries to cut in and take a player on, Im yet to see the boy wonder deliver a decent ball in.

You could be talking about Conway there. That's how I see him.

On Connor, I haven't seen much of him this season (boycotter), but he struck me as giving us sometime we don't have on the wings, trickery and directness. Surely he will improve with a good run in the team ????

Watching on the TV on Sunday, he made a huge difference to Feeney. Darmian was frightened to death by him and rendered all at sea a couple of times.

That's evidence enough for me to want to see more of him, instead of Conway/ Feeney.

Just now, ruggles1995 said:

I can't figure out this latest fad for playing wingers on the the " wrong " wing. When I played full back the plan was to show your winger the inside all day long but never let them get on the outside of you. You let them run inside into the heavy traffic, even if they did get a cross in the natural curl on a left footed cross from the right wing position takes the ball away from the oncoming forwards and  in to the goalkeeper.

OK Robben can float a shot into the far top corner but how many times do you see the inside run peter out when it comes to average players ? 

Get the kid out wide on the left and then see what he can do.

This has happened before when Sam failed to spot Hoillet 's potential and didnt give him a proper contract but it doesn't make the prospect of potentially losing Mahoney for peanuts any easier to bear now.

My understanding is the same as one of the posters above -  he understandably wants to leave because he hasnt been getting any game time. I don't think this is a Marshall situation or cock up on the Clubs part particularly, the blame for this lies solely with Coyle and the coaching staff at Ewood for failing to recognise his potential. 

Having said that Coyle isn't the only one. Bowyer wouldn't give the youngsters a chance either. If I was a parent who had to choose I probably wouldn't even consider sending one of my lads to Rovers on the basis they'd never get a chance. It makes you sick considering the wonderful facilities Uncle Jack put in place for this very reason.

Wharton will no doubt be following him out of the door at the end of the season as well whilst we no doubt sign some more ageing Greer/ Brown/Feeney types on 10k p.w.

Paul Senior & Mahoneys men are 'chatting away'.....

PS : 'So you ready to accept our 2k pwk offer then ? '

Adv:     'No chance'

PS: 'Ok we'll go to 2,5 pwk seeing as the owners are committed to the club'

Adv :   'But you've given 10k pwk 2 & 3 year deals to Owens crocks and old men ?

PS :    'Sorry those kind of contracts are reserved for the partners boys only'

Adv;   'Stuff it then have you got Barnsleys number'

PS;   'No but here's my wifes, she'll phone Sheff Weds for you %%%%%%'

Archived