BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Connor Mahoney's contract

1 hour ago, ruggles1995 said:

Im for one am yet to be convinced he can do us any job, but that comes with seeing him more, and seeing him on the left rather than on the right hand side every time he makes an appearance. Im sure im about to get shot down for this but heres my 10ps worth. Yes he looked good against utd taking on players, but he has 1 foot, his left, we play him on the right and hes a 1 trick pony that tries to cut in and take a player on, Im yet to see the boy wonder deliver a decent ball in. It sounds like im killing him but im not, I would like to see him on the left where he can naturally use his left foot rather than having to cut in or go back because he cant use his right. Against Wednesday he had 1 trick which was a roll over and tried to cut in, or had to go backwards because he has no right foot, and wednesday got on that early when he came on. I would just like to see the lad down the left being a winger and supplying our strikers rather than having to cut in every time he has the ball and being the next andros townsend type of player. Wingers are there to supply and are judged on assists, not goals. Get him out wide left and lets see what he can give the strikers.

Not sure of your age  ruggles  but those comments remind me similar of a certain Damien Duff (maybe not as quick)  - and we know how he turned out  - totally agree though

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't figure out this latest fad for playing wingers on the the " wrong " wing. When I played full back the plan was to show your winger the inside all day long but never let them get on the outside of you. You let them run inside into the heavy traffic, even if they did get a cross in the natural curl on a left footed cross from the right wing position takes the ball away from the oncoming forwards and  in to the goalkeeper.

Get the kid out wide on the left and then see what he can do.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This has happened before when Sam failed to spot Hoillet 's potential and didnt give him a proper contract but it doesn't make the prospect of potentially losing Mahoney for peanuts any easier to bear now.

:)  another dig at the best manager we've had during the last 6 years Rev?

in 2010, under Allardyce, Hoilett extended his rovers contract by a further two and a half years.

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't figure out this latest fad for playing wingers on the the " wrong " wing. When I played full back the plan was to show your winger the inside all day long but never let them get on the outside of you. You let them run inside into the heavy traffic, even if they did get a cross in the natural curl on a left footed cross from the right wing position takes the ball away from the oncoming forwards and  in to the goalkeeper.

OK Robben can float a shot into the far top corner but how many times do you see the inside run peter out when it comes to average players ? 

Get the kid out wide on the left and then see what he can do.

I must say that I have never been in favour of playing wingers on the wrong wing and I'm also not in favour of high crosses, certainly not to our strikers. It's much better to get to the bye line an push the ball across low. Emnes does this well and we have scored a few goals from it. Connor could do that too.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This has happened before when Sam failed to spot Hoillet 's potential and didnt give him a proper contract but it doesn't make the prospect of potentially losing Mahoney for peanuts any easier to bear now.

My understanding is the same as one of the posters above -  he understandably wants to leave because he hasnt been getting any game time. I don't think this is a Marshall situation or cock up on the Clubs part particularly, the blame for this lies solely with Coyle and the coaching staff at Ewood for failing to recognise his potential. 

Having said that Coyle isn't the only one. Bowyer wouldn't give the youngsters a chance either. If I was a parent who had to choose I probably wouldn't even consider sending one of my lads to Rovers on the basis they'd never get a chance. It makes you sick considering the wonderful facilities Uncle Jack put in place for this very reason.

Wharton will no doubt be following him out of the door at the end of the season as well whilst we no doubt sign some more ageing Greer/ Brown/Feeney types on 10k p.w.

Couldn't agree more, Simon. The youth haven't been deemed good enough for a number of years and been overlooked in favour of has beans and never will be journeymen,.

We'll never know if they are good enough, cos theyre hardly ever given debuts/ persevered with.

Recent managers (especially during the Venkys era) seem so concerned by results that they've gone with more experienced/ proven players. 

We all know some of the dross that's been brought in, when youth players wouldn't have done any worse.  False economy. Waste of money and our facilities.

13 minutes ago, den said:

:)  another dig at the best manager we've had during the last 6 years Rev?

in 2010, under Allardyce, Hoilett extended his rovers contract by a further two and a half years.

As we lost him for next to nothing it wasn't long enough for a player of that age was it? He didn't begin to feature regularly until Sam left by which time there was only 12 -18 months left on his deal.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

As we lost him for next to nothing it wasn't long enough for a player of that age was it? He didn't begin to feature regularly until Sam left by which time there was only 12 -18 months left on his deal.

Hows that big Sams fault???

Have you forgotten who followed after Sam?? Who in there right mind would sign a contract extension with Kean?! If big Sam was still in charge and we was doing well I'm sure it would of been easy to of extended his contract with year left. As it happens Hoilets been crap anyway and he's playing at our standard after all we have been through.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You said Sam failed to recognise Hoiletts potential and suggested he left because of that. Fact is, Sam did recognise his potential, offered him a new contract - which Hoilett  duly signed. 

Blimey, just seen Coyle sacked!

Just now, A cup of beans said:

Couldn't agree more, Simon. The youth haven't been deemed good enough for a number of years and been overlooked in favour of has beans and never will be journeymen,.

We'll never know if they are good enough, cos theyre hardly ever given debuts/ persevered with.

Recent managers (especially during the Venkys era) seem so concerned by results that they've gone with more experienced/ proven players. 

We all know some of the dross that's been brought in, when youth players wouldn't have done any worse.  False economy. Waste of money and our facilities.

I don't understand why so many managers favour crap players with "experience" as opposed to giving youngsters a chance. Managers like Souness Hughes and Allardyce were as bad as anyone in that respect although at least they had the excuse that any youngsters had to be really really good to get in their sides.

Now there's no excuse whatsoever. Are we really saying that any of the youngsters are significantly worse than the likes of Murphy, Best, Chris Brown, DJ Campbell, Verney, Delfouneso, Greer, Wes Brown, Williams etc?

I've been watching us at all levels over the last 45 years and I can never ever remember the world caving in because we handed a youngster his debut. Some may be better than others and not everyone can be a  Duff, Hird or a Bailey but nevertheless the point applies.

I suspect the article in the LT is merely a bit of arse covering  and it's a case of trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted as regards a new contract. Particularly as he's now come to everyone's attention with his performance against United and making Pogba look like an absolute mug.

• 7 months later...
  • Backroom

Called up to the England under 20 squad for the first time.

Fair play to him but odd timing as he hasn't featured for the first team 

Is compo agreed? If not this should help us 

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

He's currently playing at a lower standard than he would have been in our u23s, I think he made his debut for Bournemouth u23s in a defeat against Wimbledon's u23s ?... strange move.

Imagine him and Chapman coming off the bench onto either wing

Poses a question though, is Chapman a better player? 

Chapman is far better. I'm not a massive Mahoney fan, I think the legend of him not being in the first team made the thought of him being better than he actually is.  If we can somehow tie Chapman to a contract, it would be a good upgrade for Rovers. Without promotion, I don't see it happening though.

36 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Chapman is far better. I'm not a massive Mahoney fan, I think the legend of him not being in the first team made the thought of him being better than he actually is.  If we can somehow tie Chapman to a contract, it would be a good upgrade for Rovers. Without promotion, I don't see it happening though.

Let's not forget we were playing at a higher level when Mahoney was in the team. I agree with you though I think Chapman is better. He's more direct and carries more of a goal threat. Neither are near to being  the finished article yet but if I had to bet on which one would go further in the game I'd back Chapman.

Mahoney's got immense promise but is one of those players - like Josh King - whose skills and overall play will take time to mature. I don't think the Bournemouth move will help him, unless Eddie Howe is some sort of wonder coach. The third division would have toughened him up and he would learnt more by sticking with Rovers. I was sorry to see him go - he would have enjoyed running at defences in this league.

• Backroom
5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Imagine him and Chapman coming off the bench onto either wing

Poses a question though, is Chapman a better player? 

At this point in their careers Chapman is better, excited to see him this season but gutted we aren't likely to keep him.

Wish Mahoney was still our player as well mind 

Archived