BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Connor Mahoney's contract

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't agree that they would get away with having phantom employees on the books and siphon millions off that way. Some fan would have spotted it. 

I agree that they are not generous benefactors, they are a very big symptom of the sickness that has brought the club from where we were , to where we are now. Given the part they have played in everything, keeping the club afloat is the absolute minimum of what they could be doing. 

It's the first few years of their ownership that really sickens me. That the FA and Trust let it happen is inexcusable. If we get back to the Championship, we will then see how serious they are about getting us back to where we were. I wouldn't bet on that being enough, so hopefully they sell up and F off 

Even the stuff we have spotted gets ignored, so it could easily be something known to the right people, who do the wrong thing with it.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be a timely boost to the coffers to go with whatever Venkys provide. From what I've seen nearly half a million with the same again in appearances and a 20% sell on clause is an unbelievably good deal for someone who was often anonymous in the under 23s.

Just now, JHRover said:

Should be a timely boost to the coffers to go with whatever Venkys provide. From what I've seen nearly half a million with the same again in appearances and a 20% sell on clause is an unbelievably good deal for someone who was often anonymous in the under 23s.

Hasn't had a sniff for Bournemouth either, as expected.

Tykes fan friend of mine says he was putting in some right stinking performances for them too.

Good deal all round.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Will be more than Dack if he makes 30-40 1st team appearances. Along with a 20% sell on fee, I think it is a cracking deal for us 

I'd suggest that's a very big "if".

Only 20% of any profit made on him.

Who on earth is paying over £425000 for him?

I suspect he will be at Bournemouth until his contract expires, a few loan deals here and there, a few league cup appearances etc.

Not a chance is he getting near to 50 games for them in that time.

20 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Only 20% of any profit made on him.

Who on earth is paying over £425000 for him?

I suspect he will be at Bournemouth until his contract expires, a few loan deals here and there, a few league cup appearances etc.

Not a chance is he getting near to 50 games for them in that time.

Terrible move by him. Grass isn't greener, when will players learn 

Have to say that many of us called this being the wrong move for him at the time. I know he was treated badly here but at the very least he should have joined a championship club where he had more chance of getting minutes. I cannot see much for his career now unless they offload him somewhere lower.Sure he is earning a bit of a wedge now but then what?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Have to say that many of us called this being the wrong move for him at the time. I know he was treated badly here but at the very least he should have joined a championship club where he had more chance of getting minutes. I cannot see much for his career now unless they offload him somewhere lower.Sure he is earning a bit of a wedge now but then what?

Was he treated that badly though? And even if he was we had a new manager here who wanted him to stay and play. The boy got a bit ahead of himself, definitely going to the Premiership, although he was apparently poor in the Championship last season. Give me Armstrong or Chapman any day 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Was he treated that badly though? And even if he was we had a new manager here who wanted him to stay and play. The boy got a bit ahead of himself, definitely going to the Premiership, although he was apparently poor in the Championship last season. Give me Armstrong or Chapman any day 

Wasnt it left extremely late that he got offered a contract? I think i Remember his father or some other family member posting on here about his treatment. Anyhow, even so, you are right that he believed his own hype (even if that hype was a few fleeting performances). Forcing your way into any PL team is never going to be easy with the money being thrown around. Sensible option would have been to stay as I feel he would have featured and the next best bet would have been to seal a Championship move where he had a better chance.

48 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Wasnt it left extremely late that he got offered a contract? I think i Remember his father or some other family member posting on here about his treatment. Anyhow, even so, you are right that he believed his own hype (even if that hype was a few fleeting performances). Forcing your way into any PL team is never going to be easy with the money being thrown around. Sensible option would have been to stay as I feel he would have featured and the next best bet would have been to seal a Championship move where he had a better chance.

In fairness, how does anyone know "he believed his own hype"?

This time last year BRFC was a shambles. Indeed it had been for 7 years ..and then he got the chance to work with Eddie Howe.

Throw in a decent wage etc..Was his decision really that unreasonable?

Is it normal or new policy for the exact terms of tribunal fees to be released like this?

Makes you wonder what we got exactly for Josh King (which I've seen roughly reported as £1-£1.5m-ish?), as he would certainly be hitting performance/appearance-based clauses!

£425k+ is pretty decent for Mahoney, particularly with hindsight at the season he just had. Wouldn't rule him out just yet anyway.

edit: LT reported King's Bosman as an initial £1.5m, going up to £2m if clauses are met (I'd guess those clauses have been met!), but that was an agreement we reached with Bournemouth rather than being decided by a tribunal.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

In fairness, how does anyone know "he believed his own hype"?

This time last year BRFC was a shambles. Indeed it had been for 7 years ..and then he got the chance to work with Eddie Howe.

Throw in a decent wage etc..Was his decision really that unreasonable?

Might be the only 'decent' wage he gets now though, he has not been able to show anyone else down the line that he is worth anything similar thus far. At that age minutes is massively important as players develop as well as showcase their talents elsewhere. Are you suggesting that a barely used fringe player at a PL club is better for his career than a potential regular starting eleven spot in League 1 or at least a lower Championship club that would use him more.

The fact that he was barely used at a struggling Barnsley when on loan also tells its own story.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Might be the only 'decent' wage he gets now though, he has not been able to show anyone else down the line that he is worth anything similar thus far. At that age minutes is massively important as players develop as well as showcase their talents elsewhere. Are you suggesting that a barely used fringe player at a PL club is better for his career than a potential regular starting eleven spot in League 1 or at least a lower Championship club that would use him more.

The fact that he was barely used at a struggling Barnsley when on loan also tells its own story.

I make no clams about the benefits of being a barely used fringe player etc. I am just uneasy about the rush to judge him, as a person...

• Backroom

Seems a good deal for us, if he turns into s good player over the next few years we get about a million for a lad that was out of contract, if he fails to push on we got £425k for a lad that wasn’t cut out for it 

34 minutes ago, AJW said:

Would anybody take him back on a free in exchange for the cash they would owe us ?

I don’t think it would work. I’ve loads of time for Conor but we need to not bring back players who divide the fans. A lot haven’t forgiven him for leaving. Personally I blame Coyle for making him look elsewhere. Once you have made your mind up you are leaving somewhere it’s hard to change it back.

Archived