BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Mowbray has something about him. I liked these comments:

Smallwood:

“It’s been unbelievable here and everything’s gone to plan for me personally and us as a team.

“Everyone played their part, the manager, staff and players, and as a collective group we got the job done.”

Interview:

“The boss has been great. I can’t speak highly enough of him really. He’s a pleasure to work for.”

Lenihan

Ever since the manager has come in he’s been outstanding. His record speaks for itself.” There’s a healthy competition in the group which pushes everyone on, every single one of us needs to be working hard day in day out because we’re all under pressure. “That comes from the gaffer, he’s the one who has brought that healthy competition and we need to keep going.”

Dack interview:

Q.       “How much has the manager helped you develop?”

“The manager’s played a massive part. There’s been one or two occasions where he’s sat me down and told me off……yeah, he’s always trying to help you. He’s brought me on as a player and a person. I couldn’t say a bad word against him, he’s been brilliant.

Armstrong:

"I had a connection with the gaffer as soon as I went to Coventry," said Armstrong. "We've got a good bond and he was a massive factor as to why I came here. "He lets you play your normal game, he speaks to you a lot and he makes you feel wanted, which is a massive thing for a player, because your confidence is always high. "I'm thriving under him at the minute and I'd like to continue that this season and really kick on.”

Palmer:

“As soon as I spoke to the manager and heard what he wanted to do here, the way he likes to play and having watched a couple of games last season, I felt it is a club heading in the right direction.

• Like 5

• Backroom
5 hours ago, tonyoz said:

Mowbray has something about him. I liked these comments:

Smallwood:

“It’s been unbelievable here and everything’s gone to plan for me personally and us as a team.

“Everyone played their part, the manager, staff and players, and as a collective group we got the job done.”

Interview:

“The boss has been great. I can’t speak highly enough of him really. He’s a pleasure to work for.”

Lenihan

Ever since the manager has come in he’s been outstanding. His record speaks for itself.” There’s a healthy competition in the group which pushes everyone on, every single one of us needs to be working hard day in day out because we’re all under pressure. “That comes from the gaffer, he’s the one who has brought that healthy competition and we need to keep going.”

Dack interview:

Q.       “How much has the manager helped you develop?”

“The manager’s played a massive part. There’s been one or two occasions where he’s sat me down and told me off……yeah, he’s always trying to help you. He’s brought me on as a player and a person. I couldn’t say a bad word against him, he’s been brilliant.

Armstrong:

"I had a connection with the gaffer as soon as I went to Coventry," said Armstrong. "We've got a good bond and he was a massive factor as to why I came here. "He lets you play your normal game, he speaks to you a lot and he makes you feel wanted, which is a massive thing for a player, because your confidence is always high. "I'm thriving under him at the minute and I'd like to continue that this season and really kick on.”

Palmer:

“As soon as I spoke to the manager and heard what he wanted to do here, the way he likes to play and having watched a couple of games last season, I felt it is a club heading in the right direction.

This has made me feel better about the anticlimax of the last 2 weeks.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He looks like an 'ard bastard! Seriously though, he looks the same now as he did when he was playing. Has looked 55 all his life  

He looked like a 55 year old having a serious midlife when he dyed his hair bleach blonde in the 90's. Thank god he's going for the silver fox look naturally these days ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

2 defeats in our last 38 competitive fixtures. 6 defeats in our last 49. 9 defeats in 64 since he became manager in February 2017.

Long may that continue.

That’s quite a record ! 

11 minutes ago, philipl said:

The more I hear of him the more I like what I hear.

Very solid football man and has all the right values.

A gem.

I agree 100%. He’s having not just a career renaissance with us but I feel it’s going to be more than that, I think he’s reinventing himself. I can see us going up with him at the helm in the next couple of years.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I agree 100%. He’s having not just a career renaissance with us but I feel it’s going to be more than that, I think he’s reinventing himself. I can see us going up with him at the helm in the next couple of years.

Steady!!!!!!  ???

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/august/the-experiment-worked/

“I’ve played Adam off the left wing before. I play with two and a half attackers, really. Adam is one, Danny [Graham] is one, and Bradley [Dack] is the half," Tony revealed to iFollow Rovers.

"I’d then have a [Elliott] Bennett or a [Craig] Conway on the other side, running up and down. Like I say, football is about balance."

Mowbray made these comments on the website.

Whilst I appreciate the need for balance, I hope these comments dont have the lack of flexibility implied, and that they are more examples of how we have lined up in the past rather than a fixed blueprint for his team.

I think most would agree that we dont need to be playing a "defensive winger" as Mowbray calls them every week, ie Bennett or Conway. We've added players like Palmer and Rothwell and are in the market for a couple more, sometimes they should be fighting over 4 places, rather than 3.

The next 2 games are winnable, I'd like to see the shackles slightly let off, as much as I appreciate that Bennett may be needed for tougher games away from home when we are going to be playing one of the top teams.

Edited by roversfan99

If TM can at the very least replicate the form we had with him in the Championship we will be fine. Yes his stats are great but at the same time we have to remember that most of them came with a Championship squad in L1 plus the addition of a number of excellent signings (which he should take credit for). 

This season is where we can really judge him.

Besides that though, I have to admit that his honesty and the way he seems intent on building this club back up is a testament to guy that he is. He really is a good bloke with the best interests of the club in hand. 

It really concerns me playing Palmer and bell together. As good as it is to see bell bomb forward and really attack the opposition right back the level of exposure down that side would be terrifying and catastrophic. Subsequently you could play Bennet that side and that would be the balance Tony would be reffering to I assume. That leaves Palmer playing on the right again leaving nymabe exposed. He doesn't bomb on in the same way bell does and his defending has improved but would anybody be comfortable leaving him so exposed. Which starts dragging the two cdms out of position and the centrebacks creating gaps all over the place to be exploited. We may lack some quality to compete with the top half of this table but we have hard work , discipline and organisation. Cardiff opitimised that last season beating quality hands down. Playing an "artist" like Palmer can literally destroy Tony's whole philosophy. There are artists like monet and there are artists that shit on a canvas. We need proper artists that will graft to get to the top. Palmer worries me immensly. 

Have to say, he's not highly regarded in Coventry, but I think he did ok since he had to work with SISU, who run Coventry City like the Oystens. Even Jesus Christ himself would spend a week with them and say "eff this, I can't achieve !this miracle" as any player with any ability is sold on the cheap, and a new squad is formed every season.

• 3 weeks later...

He might have won it too if it hadn’t been for last weekend (which also destroyed our GD column). Parkinson probably edged Mowbray with the resources he has but surely Bielsa will win it with Leeds start for the season.

Nice to be nominated though, it shows we are doing the right things. 2 points off joint 5th.

We just need to get to 50 points as soon as we can so that we can have an enjoyable end of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He might have won it too if it hadn’t been for last weekend (which also destroyed our GD column). Parkinson probably edged Mowbray with the resources he has but surely Bielsa will win it with Leeds start for the season.

Nice to be nominated though, it shows we are doing the right things. 2 points off joint 5th.

We just need to get to 50 points as soon as we can so that we can have an enjoyable end of the season.

That game was in September not August tho so wont count Stuart